Grouping question

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Thadeuce, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Thadeuce

Thadeuce New Member

Ok, help me out here. I've been shooting since the end of March/beginning of April. At 7 yards, I can shoot a 5 shot group with all rounds touching 6 outta 10 times and under 2" pretty much every time. But I'm reading/seeing that people are grouping 2 inches at 25 yards. Please tell me that this is on a rest of some sort. If it's free standing, I quit now.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Practice, practice, practice.
    Some of us have been at this game for years. Practice is great if you improve, but to keep shooting the same and getting same result, well something needs to change.
    Your grip, stance, review of the basics.

3. Yunus

Yunus New Member

What gun and caliber are you using?

4. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I been shooting rifles for a long long time and am very good,but when I started shooting pistols 2 and a half years ago,all I could do was make a 11"x8" target look like it was hit with buckshot with centerfire handguns.Then I bought myself a .22,same results right away,but after 6 months of having it I can now group 1"@7 yards standing and even put 50% of my rounds in the same hole.Get a .22 if you don't have one and spend lots of time shooting,you will learn a whole lot of technique that just can't be explained verbally.

5. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I thought it said Groping question.:eek: that I could have helped you with.

Grouping, now that is a whole other subject. Practice, Practice, Practice. Funny that works for groping also.:D

6. bmatt1

bmatt1 New Member

i actually found a paper target that tells you what you did wrong depending on where you hit and it actually helped me somewhat. i only shot about 50 rounds at it. i havent been shooting pistols religiously for very long and have been shooting to the left since i started shooting my .40 and according to this target, i squeezed my finger tips too much so i concentrated on gripping the weapon with my whole hand and the problem was solved for the most part. it looked something like this, the target ares were a little different sizes tho

Correction Target

7. Thadeuce

Thadeuce New Member

Ok, maybe I'm not being clear. I want to know if people that group 2 inches from 25 yards are using something to rest the pistol on OR are they just standing and shooting?

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

Ive seen guys stack rounds in one ragged hole unsupported at that distance. Last winter i let a older gentleman who carried an ithaca 1911 in ww2 shoot my ww2 ithaca at 25 yards he put all 8 into a 1.5 inch circle.

Years of practice. My advice and whats really helped me a lot is get into 22lr shooting. Its easier to diagnose shooter error with a low recoil round. Just apply what you learn to center fire. Ill prolly shoot 500 22lr for every 50 45acp i fire.

9. danf_fl

I hate giving a "It depends..." answer, but I have to.

It depends on which handgun I am using. I do not use a rest unless I am testing a handgun. I have a couple that I have shot in 2" or less when standing without a rest, but I have more that will shoot 5" groups with a rest.

10. Thadeuce

Thadeuce New Member

How? Man I can't even SEE a 2 inch group at 25 yards. ::sigh:: Maybe I should get a scope and some glasses...and not necessarily in that order.

11. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Like most have said it's mostly practice, but there are some other variables too.

12. Thadeuce

Thadeuce New Member

Ok, so I'm off to the range with my 71928347128348 rounds of practice ammo...

13. danf_fl

Good Luck to ya'

14. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

If you plan to shoot competitively then 5" groups won't make the cut but for self defense its gonna get the job done. Don't lose sight of the objective which is competency and accuracy as a memorized act. Pin point precision is not required. As others have stated, practice makes perfect, perfect being a relative term. What is perfect for a casual shooter looking to hone his skills is worlds apart from what a Navy SEAL requires and quite honestly not everyone is capable of world class markmanship. Just like golf, millions of people play regularly, few make a living from it.

15. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

LOL, don't feel bad, you're not alone. I am in the same boat and probably lots of (silent) others. :D Definitely tells me I need lots of practice.

16. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

i too am gonna hafta give a "well it depends" answer. with my New England 22 revolver, from a standing position i can nearly every time hit a 32 ounce gatorade bottle at 50 yards. with my Radom Vis 35, i can nearly every time miss it at 50 yards :p . i'm not too bad with it up close but the small sights just don't work well with my eyes at any greater distance. plus another factor is that i have put thousands of rounds through the New England & maybe less than 1000 through the Radom.

when i was a teenager i couldn't hit snot with a hand gun, way too shaky, which also led to frustration & less fun. once i learned to slow down, breathe right, & squeeze the trigger rather than quickly pulling it, it all fell together rather quickly.

So dont' worry too much about it yet, in 4 months of shooting i'd say you're still doin pretty good. Just keep praticing & over time you will get better & better

17. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

when i was trained and qualified with the m9 in the marines.. the 25 yard line was the money maker.. its quite easy after some practice... so the answer to your question would be yes.. its very possible to shoot well at that distance