Ground hog in a tree?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by thdrduck, May 29, 2014.

1. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

I was playing with my tractor in the shed and noticed a big brown thing in one of my willows about 20 feet up in the tree. After accounting for both of my cats I grabbed my .22 with the scope and took a look at it. It was a ground hog. Never even knew they climbed. He is no longer with us. Should of taken a picture first, didn't think of that until after he hit the ground.

2. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

About 9 or 10 years ago, I was walking along the field edge of a farm I hunted back then (now a McMansion-hood), when a groundhog ran out of the tall grass in front of me and straight up a tree. It climbed to about 8 feet, took a look around and saw me, then jumped down and ran off toward it's hole.

This happened on April 1st, I swear God was playing an April Fool's joke on me. I've never seen or heard of it before or since, until today.

3. therukh

therukh New Member

Confirmed Climbers

Let me assure you that groundhogs can and do climb trees and seem to love it. I've shot dozens of pigs out of bushes, shrubs, felled trees and standing trees. I even shot one that had a burrow under the tree with one opening about 5 or so feet up in the hollow tree. They seem to love lying on the branches sunning themselves while watching the world go by and, I'm sure, watching for predators.

4. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

So I assume you shot it because you are going to eat it.

5. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

No I am not going to eat it! Ground hogs dig. They cause lots of damage and I have no problem wasting one of them. If you want to eat him, he is still pretty fresh, I'll send him to you.:D

6. wknight40

wknight40 New Member

Saw a dog tree a ground hog when I was still a kid. Dad shot, ground hog came down and the dog was gone like lightening. I have never eaten ground hog myself but I have been told they are good eating. Just have to get all of the scent glans off the meat first.

They are a destructive animal. Making holes all over the fields for cattle to step in and break a leg. People too as far as that goes. Have heard of tractors getting broken axles from their holes also.

7. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

Yeah, I'm gonna drag around a cooler all over the place, on smoking hot days, so I can skin out some nasty chuck I hit with a high velocity frangible bullet (blood shot plus fragment contam maybe elsewhere). WTF?

I have in the past rimfired some, not too big, and had folks on standby to take them to eat.

But around here, when we had chucks (before the yotes got plentiful), it was serious biz to keep bean damage down. Plus some of my landowners had cattle.

I don't eat possums that get in my trash, nor do I do a U turn to go back and slather Mc Nugget sauce on any chipmunk or sparrow my truck might dink.

And yeah, I've seen chucks climb trees, one way up too in a monster dead tree, kinda like a high rise building with a deck up top- he was out on a short limb that had a hole where it came off the trunk. Pretty funny (always wondered if that fat SOB had an elevator inside LOL). Was squirrel hunting a cattle farm, saw him.........too late to pop him though. I checked that tree every time after that, never saw him there or up top again.

Did blow one out of a tree with a .44 mag, lined him up with trunk for pass through. pretty thick woods for stopping the bullet too. Have let others off the ground go due to no safe backstop.

No big deal, 70 gr Nosler BT's zinging out of a .243 works when they're on the deck ;)

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  8. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I found one years ago that climbed a small tree to escape the dog and I shook the tree, causing it to fall, which the dog intercepted mid-air. I wish I had that filmed.

9. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

You should eat what you kill unless it is attacking you....what a waste

10. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

do you eat the fly's and mosquito's that you kill??:cool:

11. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

They are a problem around here . They are good to eat but we have a huge problem digging around poles in pole barns and then the floors or buildings collapsing. I think we trapped 6 last season getting into one barn .
    Yes they climb trees and they can be very aggressive . Ever seen the claws on one of these things ?

[​IMG]

12. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

I don't eat the mice I kill either. Hmm... mouse kababs, just a thought.:rolleyes:

I had one under the hood of my truck once. The dog was going nuts so I opened the hood and came face to face with a huge one sitting on top the engine. Scared the bejesus out of me so I slammed the hood and drove down the road a bit (I didn't want the thing around the farm). I pulled off the side of the road and opened the hood again and he went behind the motor. I figured I would just leave the truck there for a bit and he would go away. Just then two guys pulled up and asked if I needed help (hood up and all) I told them I was OK but there was a ground hog under the hood. They both got out because they just had to see that and I realized they had both been drinking, a lot. One picked up a stick and started poking at it so it moved to the transmission. Then the other guy crawled under my truck, asked for the stick and he started poking at it, I just moved away some, (you can't make this stuff up). The ground hog jumped off the transmission and I don't know which one was moving faster, the ground hog or the guy trying to get out from under the truck to get away from it (it was pissed), I nearly wet myself it was so funny. The ground hog took off across a field with two shirtless drunks hot on his heals. I closed the hood and drove home.

13. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

I bet those who are critical of shooters not eating their groundhog kills...................use every bit of edible tissue on any of their kills :rolleyes:

Chicken feet, deer kidneys, squirrel brains.... etc.

I grew up on a profitable farm, we didn't eat funky stuff. Striated skeletal muscle tissue only.

But then none of us ever got weird sick either.

Hell, hunting smaller parcel ground for deer, my focus is breaking the shoulders to make sure they stay on my side of the fence. That to some hillbilly purists might be wasteful, why it might even destroy as much meat as what can be found on a whole groundhog carcass.

From what I've seen over the decades is...............most of those who worry about max meat yield are either cheapskates or rarely punch a tag.

I see chucks on my farmer's fields, I blast them. I don't let them escape waiting for only perfect head shots. A .243 puts the hurt on them, and their meat. If somebody wants to eat 'em, fine.

But killing chucks around here used to be serious biz. It wasn't some casual evening of trying to secure a meal.

On a lark, before college classes one day, I made a run to one of my closer spots. Killed 10 in less than 3 hrs. Was pretty warm by noon too. No way I was gonna lug those carcasses from the way back field, in a cooler....................let alone deal with yellow jackets buzzing my knuckles in trying to clean 'em (that freaks me out enough during early goose season- btw, I am deathly allergic to yellow jackets).

14. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

Understood....

Attached Files:

15. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

Oooooooooooo! Man I love it when more than one is out. I tried for a triple once but only got two (dunno if any of the bullet made it into the 3rd one).

I did have one come from a barn like in your pic, and shot it as it walked toward me. It just collapsed. I was maybe 75 yards away in the fence row.

Could not find the bullet hole (Ruger#1B in .243) ?????

Flipped her over and over and held her up and finally saw it. Barely a chip, showing white on the tiny edge of a yellow incisor.

Evidently she opened her mouth and it nicked the tooth and went right down her throat, didn't hit the sides either. Just a drop o' blood on her non damaged tongue. She did have some clover in her mouth and must have swallowed the 75 gr Speer mid bite.

She was like jello on the inside, quite the slosher. Maybe a 10# chuck, in great shape for the taxidermist, but the shot was no great feat and she was of no real decent size.

16. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

I hit one on the run with my bolt action .22.. At about 40 yards.. I was young maybe 18? It impressed me. Lol

I hit one a few years ago poking its head out of his hole in the corner of a field.. let me just say.. a .308, with 150gr sierra GKHP at 70 yards will spread woodchuck heads into tiny pieces about 5 yards behind them.. hehe

17. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

In my younger days I hunted them for profit because they are very destructive to farming and livestock. Never ever considered eating one of those ground rats! No never!!

18. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

I've shot them with a variety of items

Compound and recurve bows
    Bolt action, falling block and semi auto rifles.

Most with a .243 in a Ruger #1 B or Rem 700......but have used FNC and AR15, and even a .35 Whelen ripping 250 grainers (wooded setting for hill as backstop).

Smoked one looking at me with a PSE compound way back. Freaked me out............was like that husky in John Carpenter's "The Thing".
    I rather dislike making a mess of them. Have head shot plenty but am content to just thump 'em in the chest.

19. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Had something similar happen to me about 10 years ago. I drove up into a friend's back field to pull a trans out of one of the parts trucks. I crawl under the truck after putting it on stands with a couple pieces of 2x12 under them, saw something on to p of the trans, so i poked at it with the 1\2 inch driver in my hand. It jumped down, and I still don't know which of us got out from under the truck faster, the hog or me. I was waiting for the friend to come up with some coffee for me, but after that, i didn't need it anymore.

never knew they climb trees. I learned something new today.

A few years ago, I was out sighting in my grandfather's 1903 sporterized Springfield when i spotted something brown moving in the lower pasture. I swept the spotting scope over the area I had seen the movement, and spotted a hog about 200 yards out. Turned around, set the riffle back on the pod, and put the crosshairs on him. Slow, gentle squeeze, and a direct hit. It had been moving toward where I was set up, and I hit it dead on the tip of the nose. What I forgot before pulling the trigger was that I had been sighting in with 185 gr. soft points. :eek: My friend, who was out trail riding that morning, rode up and asked me what I had shot. (We have a MAJOR coyote problem on his land, 2 dens of over 30 yotes each.) He rode down to check it out. In his own words, " I found nothing more than a fur covered tube of meat." :D talk about a mess.

He wound up going back to the house, and getting his dad's 8 mil Mauser. We shot about a dozen groundhogs that afternoon, and we set up for a yote hunt that night. we took out 5 that night using the chucks for bait.

No. we did not keep or eat either the chucks or the yotes. If it was a matter of eat them or starve, I would start considering my own appendages before it came to that. I have eaten chuck, and it is a tough stringy critter no matter how you cook it. Things would have to be pretty dire before I would consider it again.