Ground Blind Hunting?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by fxstchewy, Oct 11, 2009.

1. fxstchewy

fxstchewy New Member

When hunting deer from a ground blind do YOU wear camo? would black not be a better choice?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Actually, I wear blaze orange. And if you are hunting in VA, be prepared to explain to the game warden why you are not, too! :rolleyes:

3. fxstchewy

fxstchewy New Member

I am hunting in NC, i am trying the ground blind because everyone in the hunting area i am in use's a tree stand, just trying something different........

4. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Inside the pop-up or hub blind, black is the choice color like you suggested. If you have the shoot thru camo mesh windows, camo is good to go, but black will blend in. When walking to and fro, the required amount of blaze should be worn to comply with state laws. :D

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I wear camo and blaze orange. I set all way in the back of the blind with the sun to my back so as to cast a dark shadow.

I have a real good shot at a deer this year as I hav 4 different places to hunt. WOO HOO....

6. Silvertip 44

Silvertip 44 New Member

I generally wear camo with blaze orange vest. Hunters must wear the blaze here at all times or get a citation. Honestly, I have sat on the ground on my stool wearing blue jeans and dark jacket or shirt with blaze and taken several deer.

7. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

That's nice. This is a thread about hunitng from inside a blind, people. :cool:

8. Silvertip 44

Silvertip 44 New Member

Pardon my ignorance skullcrusher, I failed to mention my camo netting.

9. Expeditioner

Expeditioner New Member

Wear either black or camo when using ground blinds.

10. Gus556

Gus556 New Member

Last year I shot two deer (not at the same time) with a bolt action .308 wearing blue jeans and a black and yellow columbia fleece. Honestly, deer dont care what you wear.
    I also shot one from the top of an IH with a crap spreadder attatched to it.
    Wear what makes you comfortable to be sitting in the blind for long periods of time. If you want, wear a camo top to break up your outline and keep still. As long as you put the blind in place in advance so the deer dont think twice about the new box in town, you should be fine.

11. res45

res45 New Member

Here in NC by law you have to wear either a cap or clothing in Blaze or hunter orange that is visible from all sides. My friends wife hunts deer from a ground blind because she isn't to excited about climbing up into tree stands.

She uses one of those small camo tents to hunt from but adds a hunter orange patch of material so other hunters can see her blind and not shoot down in her direction. Doesn't seem to hurt her chances any she takes a few out every year with her .243

You just cant be to safe now days.

12. dukech1

dukech1 New Member

Depends on the construction of your blind. Both of mine are made of wood so I wear what is comfortable. In warmer weather, this may be shorts and a t-shirt. In cooler weather, coats or U/A, whatever is neccesary to sit for extended times. I don't think camo is required in box blinds but would serve well in other types.

13. fxstchewy

fxstchewy New Member

Thank's for all the tips.......:)

14. tarheel101

tarheel101 New Member

Wisconsin has a rule that you have too have blaze orange visible from all four sides of a ground blind.

Tarheel

15. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

One can buy blind tops that are kinda like small rain flys that are blaze. Takes care of that. :D

16. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Last season a man was shot and killed just a few miles from where I hunt,a 26 year old woman was the hunter that fired the shot.I hunt from a camo ground blind,and have thought about putting some of those slow moving vehicle orange triangles on my blind,since they won't flap in the wind.

17. ljsayat13

ljsayat13 New Member

I suggest that you wear camo so that you can blend easily to the environment. But wearing black suit is good too but I prefer you find a blind spot on it.

18. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

The interiors of most commercial ground blinds are black. Do you have experience with these blinds? How is it that you prefer the origianal poster find a blind spot on his black suit?

19. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

mine is right under my belly!!!!!!!!

20. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Me too, but I have one at the end of my nose, too. :eek: