Grizzly bear killed with .45

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Gojubrian, May 31, 2010.

1. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Backpacker shoots, kills grizzly in Alaska park - Yahoo! News

The part I highlighted is just dumb. :rolleyes:

2. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

Yeah that is pretty much dumb (legal to carry but illegal to use???).
    Interesting to know a .45 ACP can kill a grizz. Think I'd pack at least a .44 mag myself.

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Well 9 rounds anyway, you single stack guys, excluding Canebrake, would be bear scat by now. :D

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

My single stack Defender and Government Colts carry 9. (8+1)

5. Flat4sti

Flat4sti New Member

at least their wives would be...

6. Flat4sti

Flat4sti New Member

Bear Warning.jpg
    Maybe they should have read the sign at the front of the park and worn some bells.

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I believe that the rule is to deter people from going into the woods and shooting for the sake of shooting. Legal to carry gives the backpackers the Right to protect themselves, but not the right to just go out blasting.

I am glad that this guy was a good shot, because a few seconds in the other direction might have been tragic.

Oh yeah, Some of us have, and carry, a full sized 1911 that carries 8 rounds in the mag and one more in the chamber. That's why duder shot 9 times, he had the same type of 1911. ;)

JD

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Actually, the article says he fired nine times. It says nothing about how many times the bear was struck, could have been one well placed shot. :)

9. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I personally wouldn't reach for my 1911 when hiking in brown bear country. I have a 44 mag minimum for such tasks. Glad to hear it worked out well for everyone but the bear.

10. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I suppose it's not dumb,I mean,it is a federal crime to discharge a firearm in an occupied structure,meaning your house,but it is not illegal if you are doing it in self defense.

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

And I would agree, but some people don't have that luxury and this person might have grabbed the biggest stick he had.

At least he went well heeled and didn't try the bear spray and ringing bells route. :eek:

Personally I would want something with some serious power for even the "smaller" bears around these parts.

Bears be dangerous yo, and they be meat eaters. :eek:

JD

12. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Yes, the .44 magnum. Simply display this weapon and tell the bear, "this is a .44 magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off." The bear will cower in fear and give you now trouble.

I would take the biggest cannon I could, right now that would be 12guage slug, but I would prefer a 45-70.

The man brought what he had and he and his survived to tell the tale.

13. doctherock

doctherock New Member

That was funny as hell.

14. steve666

steve666 New Member

Really it isn't any dumber than what is law in most major urban areas. For example, with a license I can carry a handgun but it is illegal to discharge a firearm anywhere in the county other than at a shooting range. However, if I use my pistol for self defense they will be looking at justification before considering the possibility of charging me with any offense including the discharging violation.

In this instance I'm fairly certain that if the hiker shot the bear in self defense there won't be any problem. However if it wasn't self defense or if he provoked an attack then they probably will, and should, throw the book at him![​IMG]

15. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Even with a .45, you'd have to be the biggest idiot in the world to provoke a grizzly to attack you.

16. steve666

steve666 New Member

And you are naive enough to believe that there aren't idiots out there??? Just read the anti self-defense post from sweatie pie to see how stupid some people can be!!!

17. freefall

freefall New Member

I bet $3 that they find he was not justified in shooting the bear and fine the snot out of him in order to discourage other people. I can just hear the anti-gunners now. "This is just what we told you would happen if you allowed people to carry guns in National Parks. You'll turn them into shooting galleries!"

18. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Bears and BEARS

Once read about a bear that was found dead in Alaska. Big Grisly, They did a necropsy an found out that he died of lead poisoning:eek: The bear was shot with 357's, 44's and 00 Buck! I think they said he was shot over thirty times.: Wills in da Swamp in La.

19. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

How about this paraphrase...

If you are idiot enough to provoke a Grizzly to attack you, even if you are carrying a .45, you will do us all a favor by becoming bear food.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  20. orangello

orangello New Member

Good for dude! I hope he gets to keep the carcass or the parts of it he wants. I still see no purpose in allowing free-ranging animals that can/do attack humans to continue to waste air, but i think i'm in the minority on that.

Heck, they should reward him for making the park/trail a safer place, IMO. Maybe they could just give him some brown pants for when he tells the story to his friends "...after the bear ran off, i realized my jeans were no longer blue...".