Grip

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Lupo, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Lupo

Lupo New Member

Went out to Cabelas today and purchased a Hogue grip for my AR-15. I have a problem though, i don't know how to remove the old grip, or with what. I turned it over and looked down it and I don't know what to remove it with. it looks like a circle to me, and I don't know how to remove it. I would surely apprecaite some help.

Thank you

2. hillmillenia

hillmillenia New Member

Should be a big screw...get a flashlight, most only need a large bladed screwdriver.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

It's probably an allen/hex head.

Take a closer look.

4. kusterleXD

kusterleXD New Member

The handle is hollow to allow access to the mounting/retaining screw. As pointed out it should ether be a regular (phillips or flat) screw or hex head/allen screw. Just make sure the tool you use is long enough.

5. Lupo

Lupo New Member

It is definitly not regular, but i doesnt seem to work with an allen wrench or hex. Balls.

6. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I removed my stock AR grip with an Ergo using standard, not metric - screwdriver socket. I think it was a 3/16 - AR was locked up!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  7. JonM

JonM Moderator

dont forget the grip holds theselector lever retaining pin and spring in. dont lose them

8. junho806

junho806 New Member

did you ever manage to get that grip off?
    oh and if your still interested in my upper let me know
    :)

9. Lupo

Lupo New Member

I brought it to a gun store. Cost me 20 bucks. WTH! lol.
    oh well. Im over it.
    and JUNHO. That price was a little steep and i dont want to offend you with any low ball offers.

10. NY Marksman

NY Marksman New Member

My advice to you is that you start looking at other websites like AR15.com. There are tons of information on that website to show you or tell you how to work on your AR. To be honest since changing a pistol grip is very basic and if you had a problem with something that simple then I would suggest learning as much as possible. Although AR's are very simple to work on you still need to learn the basics.

11. Lupo

Lupo New Member

I know it is very basic, but the guy at the shop told me that the reason I couldnt get it out was because it was special tool that only the factory had, or it wasnt your everyday tool to get it out. But I had him throw in a phillips or flathead to replace it too. So now i can do it.

12. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

It was probably a torx bit. They kinda look like a six sided star. Sometimes they can also be a tamper-proof torx which has a little nipple that sticks up in the middle of it.

-Fred

13. hillmillenia

hillmillenia New Member

Now that's just plain irritating! :mad: I'm glad you got it be sheesh...