Firearms Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I come all the way from Norway and I am very interested in firearms. I own a 12/76 gauge o/u shotgun for hunting purposes(That's the only gun I am allowed to have at my age :(). Firearms has allways facinated me and I wish to enlighten my knowledge of firearms of all types. I am learning new things everyday(ok not every day, but you get the point). I randomly stumbled upon this forum and I hope I will like it here.

Best greetings from the cold north, where polarbears roam the streets.

·
Premium Member
2,920 Posts
Greetings Vexed, I hope you will learn a lot here and have fun in the process.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Hello everyone, I come all the way from Norway and I am very interested in firearms. I own a 12/76 gauge o/u shotgun for hunting purposes(That's the only gun I am allowed to have at my age :(). Firearms has allways facinated me and I wish to enlighten my knowledge of firearms of all types. I am learning new things everyday(ok not every day, but you get the point). I randomly stumbled upon this forum and I hope I will like it here.

Best greetings from the cold north, where polarbears roam the streets.

Boy are you lucky I have always wanted to hunt polar bear and here you have them running on the streets.:D LOL. Welcome and hope you enjoy the site and learn all you can.

·
Banned
414 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,661 Posts
Good to have you! You mentioned the gun you have being the only one you are allowed to own because of your age. Can you explain that a little more? I'd be interested in hearing what kind of gun laws you have.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good to have you! You mentioned the gun you have being the only one you are allowed to own because of your age. Can you explain that a little more? I'd be interested in hearing what kind of gun laws you have.
Yeah sure.
Before you can own a firearm you have to have a good reason, for example for hunting purposes. When you are 16 years old you can take a hunting course and when you are finished you will be applicable to apply for a shotgun or a .22 rifle. You can therefore hunt small animals(Birds, hares/Jack rabbit and Roe deer). If you are a competition shooter and a member of a competition club, you can apply for a .22 rifle when you are 16. When you are 18, you can apply for any rifle caliber you want and you can hunt larger game(Moose, reindeer and such), but you before the hunting season starts each year, you have to have shooting test in which you have to score x points to be allowed to hunt with that rifle(If you own more rifle in calibers above .22 LR you have to do the same with them)

Finally, the handgun.
If you are 21 years, and have been a member of a handgun shooting club, and have recomendation from one of the senior member, you can apply to buy a handgun. As of 2008 there are caliber limitations on handguns, if I remember correctly, you can't buy a handgun which has a higher caliber than .44 mag. :(

Also, you are not allowed to own rifles of military caracter(unless you are a member of a "practical shooting club" or a certified gun collector). Full auto is not allowed on weapons, and when your hunting you can't have a magazine that takes more than ~5 rounds(depending on the animal you're hunting)
I am not sure about sound suppressors, but contrary to the UK, there is no problem getting them. I know you are allowed to have them on .22's but on the larger calibers I am not really sure.
Concealed carry is not legal either :(

In other words: First thing I will do when I go to study in America will be to visit a gun range :D

Also: Thanks for the warm welcome everyone :)

·
Premium Member
9,661 Posts
Thanks for the response. I'm always interested in how other nations handle thing in comparison to the US.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts