Greatest Songwriter Of our Time?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by user4, Jul 23, 2009.

1. user4

user4 New Member

Who is the lyrical genius of our (or any) generation? Roger Waters? John Lennon? Kurt Cobain? Kid Rock? (j/k)

Who has impacted the world greatest, in your humble opinion?

2. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Kate Bush. Anyone who can implement Wuthering heights and James Joyce into catchy weird songs gets my vote.

Wanted to say Paul Simon, but he's a punk.

3. user4

user4 New Member

+1 I owe Steve for much of my knowledge of history and literature.

4. MrKimber

MrKimber New Member

Roger Waters is top notch, but there are some real blues players that are fantastic. But I will still vote for Roger.

5. user4

user4 New Member

This will surprise many of you... my favorite songwriter is Maynard James Keenan. His philosophical views are completely counter to mine, but I love the way he tells it.

A Perfect Circle is superior to Tool in every aspect, including Maynard's writing genius.

6. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Steve's lyrics actually got me interested in literature as well. I duely impressed my Jr year English teacher with the quoting of Coleridge. :)

7. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

That is Reverend Maynard to you, sir. He is from Ravenna, Ohio and I saw Tool at the Rubber Bowl. His mother was there and it was the first time she ever saw Tool and as Maynard said, "She's about to be horrified."

8. fisher77

fisher77 New Member

I agree with Skullcrusher. Steve Harris of IRON MAIDEN all the way.

9. user4

user4 New Member

Rime Of The Ancient Mariner is legend.

I never seen Maiden live, but I saw the "Iron Maidens", an all chick cover band that played meticulous Maiden music. Drum and guitar solos were perfect. Only the vocals sounded different.

10. user4

user4 New Member

OMG...that poor woman. I saw Tool at Lollapalooza for their Aenima tour. I was astounded. Nothing topped the 90's for great live music.

11. fisher77

fisher77 New Member

If you ever get the chance to see them live, Do It Dont miss the opportunity, They are bad as# in concert.

12. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I saw them at a small club with their 3rd singer and a couple of years later I saw them at a large outdoor place when they reunited with Bruce. They had 3 lead guitarists; Dave Murray, Adrian Smith and Janick Gers. The loudest concert I've ever attended. My ears rang for 3 days. :D

13. fisher77

fisher77 New Member

That is one thing i always liked about Maiden, they play a big venue at a big city, then they will swing by a smaller city and play a small club. I saw them at a small club here in lubbock in about 96. I was standing three feet away from Dave Murry on the front row. Got a guitar pick from him.

14. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

It was at an Ozzfest. Maynard came out wearing a lime green polyester seersucker with a very wide Jesus tie and a pompadour. He announced his mother and made her stand up and wave. As soon as she sat down, he ripped off the wig and proceeded to strip to his Scooby Snack boxers.

15. fisher77

fisher77 New Member

LOL That must have been a hel# of a sight.

16. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Bob Dylan, James Taylor, John Prine, Paul Simon, McCartney & Lennon, Mac Rebbenack, Randy Newman, Brian Wilson.

I'm going to bed now. I'll probably add more when I'm clearheaded tomorrow.

17. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Bob Dylan, hands down. He was a crappy musician, but a genius songwriter.

18. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I agree, but the thread is of our time, or as I took it to be the more current time. Dylan was not in my time, and I'm barely 40.

19. Seal

Seal New Member

Definitely agree. I love Tool and A Perfect Circle. He was here in Tennessee with Tool at Bonnaroo a few years ago. I'd like to add Ronnie Van Zant and Sarah McLachlan.