Great ranges in the state

Discussion in 'Iowa Gun Forum' started by huntmaster, Jan 27, 2013.

1. huntmaster

huntmaster New Member

I think this would be a good thread for this section. Where can we find ranges in Iowa that AREN'T part of big brothers plans? I grew up near, and shot for MANY years as a boy at Banner just south of Des Moines. Now I won't even go there, as they take your name, dl, gun info, etc, then charge you more money per hour than you can use in .22 ammo. Same goes for Polk City.

So where can we shoot? Do you know of a range? Post it here, and thank you for the info!

2. jlo82585

jlo82585 New Member

so far Green Castle Range south of Swisher is that way but a guy just killed himself there so it may not be that way for long but overall its a nice range with no "official" supervision.

3. PC167

PC167 New Member

I'm a member of the Isaac Walton league by Elkhart pretty nice range some good folks...

4. PatC

PatC New Member

We have a couple good ranges close to Wloo and CF. One at Black Hawk Park In CF and the other In Washburn. There is another on Hwy 63 going to Hudson. But not sure what it is, As far as public or privit

5. 7X57Mauser

7X57Mauser New Member

When I lived in Central Iowa I visited the Ikes ranges in Marshalltown & Ames, and was a member at the Boone Valley Ikes. I also frequently shot at the free public range in Steamboat Rock. There are plenty, you just have to look.

6. save_garrett

save_garrett New Member

There's a very small range northwest of Granger in the river bottoms. It's pretty much a berm on public land, but no ones looking over my shoulder.

I don't like that there's no place to shoot in the winter unless you want to drive an hour to Ames Ikes. And I'm not sure that's a public range.

Would anyone else like to see an indoor range in DSM? Would people pay to shoot indoors in the winter?

7. foot2400

foot2400 New Member

I would pay to shoot indoors during the winter depending on what I can shoot. I live in northern indiana and there is a indoor range by me but I can't shoot my rifles there.

8. save_garrett

save_garrett New Member

Thanks for the feedback. What would you want to see in an indoor rifle range?

9. huntmaster

huntmaster New Member

I've not been to that one yet. Any directions?

BTW, Ankeny IKES has a good range. For a yearly fee you can shoot their rages any time you want. Beats the .gov ranges in Banner and Polk City.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  10. save_garrett

save_garrett New Member

3108–3198 130th Ct
    Woodward, IA 50276

That should get you in the general area.

11. IAShooters

IAShooters New Member

The range south of hudson is Cedar Valley Pistol and Rifle Club. its private but open to new members, $60 per year. They hold competitive shooting events there also.

Pistol, shotgun, and pistol caliber rifles only.

you can find more info here: http://www.iashooters.org/forumdisplay.php?8-Cedar-Valley-Pistol-amp-Rifle-Club

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  12. IAShooters

IAShooters New Member

Take a look at the range finder on IAShooters, you may find what you are looking for there. It's located lower left on the home page.

http://www.iashooters.org/forum.php