Great rail option

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Crazvet, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

I purchased the Recover Tactical rail adapter for my A1 and gotta say its well made and functions great, hopefully companies start making holsters to fit it. I have a leather holster that a Kimber TLE RL fit but the A1 w the adapter doesn't(but it wasn't made for a railed gun)

2. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

Here's a pic of it installed.

Attached Files:

3. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo New Member

Just never been a fan of hanging shi ........ er I mean stuff off of a handgun. I think rails are generally just evil :)

Also have my doubts about taking a all metal gun and covering it in plastic.

Sorry just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions :)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  4. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

I kinda felt the same about putting plastic on a 1911 but the fact that I can completely remove it in less then 2 min sold me. I like a rail gun for my night stand gun, I have a 180L rail light and a 200L hand light so I know exactly where my bullets are going inside the house(and if needed). None of my carry 1911's have a rail, the adapter allows me to switch from home defense to carry easily.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

nothing personal and no offence or disrespect, but many of the people into 1911's are usually older and prefer them a bit more classic.

for many of us, guns are about personal preferences and individual tastes and needs. if the rail suits your needs and you like it, that is all that is important. personally, i'd never put one on a 1911 of mine, but stilll looks like a great idea though.

thanks for sharing, since someone else may share the same tastes and is looking for an option to mount a light on their 1911.

6. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

I'm creeping up to the older view point, I prefer to carry a 1911 loaded w .45 and I also prefer a 1911 without a rail for looks. But that's the best part of the adapter I have it installed on a gun I don't carry, I'm not worried about looks in the middle of the night and I hear strange noises, I wanna grab my gun and find out what's going on. At that point the only one who will see the ugly plastic is a bad guy(or maybe just one of the kids) and before I choose to pull the trigger having a rail mounted light is a must for me, sure I keep a hand light but maybe I couldn't grab it quickly enough, could have dropped it. Anyway the moral of the story is I see having a rail a must for home defense and w this adapter I get to use my favorite type of gun(1911 of course) and I don't have to buy a rail gun, its the lesser of the two evils.

7. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo New Member

I AM one of those older types LOL
    No part of my home is ever dark enough that I couldn't identify what I'm shooting at should the need ever arise (benefit of a few well placed nightlights). I also feel like a gun mounted light is a really good target and gives the other guy the probability of getting off the first aimed shot; but hey that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

I am a little confused about the above statements in bold though ???

8. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

The holster was a for a normal 1911 but the rail gun I traded off fit however the plastic clad gun doesn't, SO my assumption is the extra width would keep it from fitting most holsters for a railed gun?? In all honesty I have no ideal, I just hate how some great ideals get pushed to the side when there's no aftermarket support.

9. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

Here's my "blacked out" Para USA Expert with the Recover grip system. I like it.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

As for me I'm not ready to be considered old, I am always open to new ideas trying something different.

Oh yea, I'm 57.

10. AjayTaylor

AjayTaylor New Member

I just wonder about those flashlights. They bore such a small hole through a darkened house, I just wonder what You would actually see. I mean, a 1" circle on a sweatshirt would look the same as, perhaps Your Son's sweatshirt. It would be OK if You got Your whole family into Your bedroom, and then shone it on the door. Other than that I would worry about friendly fire. If You live alone, or a couple, it could work.
    That really looks like a blocky grip. How comfortable is it?

11. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo New Member

In fairness a light is going to light up quite a bit of the room and CAN disorient your target. That said though; I must have a higher electric bill than most as my house is just never pitch black where I would need a light and hasn't been since my kids were young. Got in the habit back then of providing some light so they could make it back and forth to the bathroom, kitchen etc and its a habit that never died. But honestly even if my house were pitch black I feel like I would still have the advantage. I mean who would be better able to navigate my house in pitch black better than me? Just what could a robber etc do in a pitch black house where he couldn't see a thing? Would he have to have a flashlight; providing ME with a well defined target? I'll grant you in unfamiliar surroundings a light might be a good thing (such as a LEO searching someone elses house) but in your own home; not so much.

I think rail mounted lights are just one of those things that people think they need but if really thought through; they are not really sure why they think they need them. But then, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla; different strokes for different folks.

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I also use night lights in the house but mine are also emergency lights. If someone should kill the power they light up and will stay lit for 8 or more hours if needed. I highly recommend them. I did not buy them here but here is a link.
    http://www.cs-power.com/litesaver-ls1000.html

13. AjayTaylor

AjayTaylor New Member

it looks like good way to put lazer on Your piece without spending four bills. is the grip as uncomfortable as it looks? that would be my main problem. I think that someone makes one that just bolts up to the front of the trigger guard. That would be more to my liking, but if You like it that's all that matters. I would def put a lazer as opposed to a flashlight. If You hve nightlights, a lazer could be fairly safe. Either way I would want my family behind me

14. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

What happens if the BG disables your night lights?

15. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo New Member

I hope he does. As I said who could possibly navigate my house better than me in the dark? Sorry IMHO lights and lasers on handguns are far more tacticool than they are tactical.

16. TxAg81

TxAg81 New Member

I thought I had enough light in the house at night, too. . . until the son came home from college very early one morning without giving me any notice. I bought a CTC Lightguard that clamps to the front of the trigger guard that very day. It lights up the whole room (not just a circle on the shirt). The "on" button is right under the trigger guard and doesn't interfere with the lasergrip "on" button. I grip the pistol and they're both on. It's also great for perimeter patrols and skunk elimination.

17. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

Well in that case how would you know what you are shooting at? No light means no target acquisition and basically shooting blind. Unless you have cat eyes. But IMHO why not have every tactical advantage you can possibly get. And I think the military and LEO prefer tactical vs. tacticool and use rail mounted lights n lasers.

18. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo New Member

They use them in very different situations. They are going into unfamiliar terrain where they are the ones who are at a disadvantage.

And I'm not sure I want to emulate the current crop of LEOs with their wonder 9s and their 80+% miss ratio.

19. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

Well I'm not here to discuss the accuracy skills of current LEO. This is about you saying you do t believe in lights n lasers because they are tacticool. And you imply that you would rather shoot blindly in the dark.

20. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo New Member

Never said blindly in the dark. What I said is that in MY dark home I have the advantage.

So many people love to spin up all sorts of farfetched scenarios to justify the latest and greatest tacticool gear but when it comes right down to it; it is mostly junk.

As far as debating accuracy skills of LEOs; that was in response to you using LEOs habits to justify said gear. Hate to say it but in general current LEOs aren’t who I would use to justify my habits or preferences but then that’s just me; your mileage may vary.