Grease/oil

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by NewGunz, Jul 15, 2010.

1. NewGunz

NewGunz New Member

My Sig Sauer came with a small amount of Mil Comm TW25B. I like this oil because it comes out in a cream consistency and then spreads thin into a film. This keeps the application precise and not messy. However, I can't find it in any stores around here and its expensive online. I've heard that there really are no specific "gun" oils and that I can even use a motor oil. Do you guys know of where I kmight find TW25B and if this is true about using any oil? I just prefer nonliquid oils and I don't want something that gums up my gun either. Thanks.

2. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

TW25B is almost $20 for 4oz at Midway. But that'll last an awful long time, so I'd look at it as a pretty modest investment if you like it so much.

I use Slip 2000 EWL myself. It's a bit less expensive, but this stuff is all about what you like. A $5 bottle of Hoppe's will work just fine, and you can find it at any Walmart.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive used breakfree for as long as i can remember. its worked flawless from ot humid to hot dry to severe cold in dusty and dirty conditions as well. i think oil for guns is pretty much a personal choice and very opinion oriented.

4. NewGunz

NewGunz New Member

I do also own Break Free CLP. Do ijust apply it once to clean, wipe it off, then reapply a thin coat to lubricate? The bottle doesn't go into much detail.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

i have always used it by aplying liberally letting the parts sit for about an hour then wiping it off with a rag. ive always kept my firearms with an extremely light coat of clp. once things are clean then its a light coat and wipe. i use clp to clean and for lube on the parts.

if i leave easy to see fingerprints i used too much and it needs to be wiped more. other folks arent happy less their firearms are leaking more oil than a well under obama's control. and there are many in between of opinions.

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I have 4 Sigs and they get the same lube as all my other guns - Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil. Clean with Hoppes # 9, lube with Mobil 1, shoot, repeat. It's easy to over think this and folks will sell you all sorts of products "guaranteed" to be the best - but I'm a fan of simple, effective, and cheap...

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

break free is worthless.

I use grease on the high friction areas and oil on all others.

8. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Just plain old wheel bearing grease?

9. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Plain old molybdenum wheel bearing grease, $3 a tub at Oreillys.

Grease where it slides, CLP where it rotates.