grasshoppers as a food source

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by saviorslegacy, Jan 2, 2011.

1. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

My family was watching Man vs Wild the other day and I saw Bear Grylls chow down on a grasshopper. Now I have heard before that they are edible, but I have a few questions about them.

So I know you can gut them by twisting their heads and then pulling the guts out. I also know that you should break off half of the far back legs.
    I want to know how can you cook them. Can you make like a grasshopper kabob and set it above the flame of a fire? If so what wood should you use?
    I also heard from some where that it takes 30 grasshoppers to make a meal. Is this true?
    Any idea how many calories are in a grasshopper?
    Are there poisonous grasshoppers?
    I heard that they taste like grass. Any suggestions on seasonings?

I've also been thinking about a way to catch them. Could you take a branch and your shirt and construct a make-shift bug net thingy?

Lastly... is there anything that I left out?

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I don't know the answers to any of your questions but I did find this interesting website as I was looking around for answers for you. I just scanned this briefly but it looks like there is a lot of information for survival skills here. Lots of interesting links included off to the right of the first page.

Survival Foods In The Wilderness | LIVESTRONG.COM

3. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

A little something something to look at:

Recipes:
    Grasshopper Recipes

Basic How-To:
    How to Eat Grasshoppers for Survival | eHow.com

It may come as news to you, or maybe not, that there are actually some restaurants that now specialize in serving insects, including grasshoppers. Some theorize that in the not too distant future, insects may become a basic food item as other, less sustainable food sources begin to disappear as a result of continually climbing demand for food. Interesting idea sense insects tend to taste like what they eat. Note that the restaurants mentioned earlier feed their insects certain fruits or veggies depending on their intended use in a dish (ie. orange flavored grasshoppers, apple, etc etc).

If your really interested you could start off with something a little more 'civilized'. Spencer's, a popular kids clothing store in many malls, actually sells chocolate coated insects. Typically a small package contains both grasshoppers or crickets and meal worms.

I wont say they taste great, but its not impossible to see it as a possible food source in a survival situation.

Hope this helps!

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

My best recipe? Use shirt, TWO sticks, herd grasshoppers along, bring sticks together, trapping grasshoppers (thank you for teaching me that, Grandma)

Hold hopper between thumb and forefinger. Insert #6 fishook right behind rear legs. Use to catch bass, perch, bream, trout, etc. Filet fish, broil or roll in cornmeal, fry. Tastes better than hopper, more calories, takes less to make a meal. Not available in chocolate coated.

5. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

lol, you are what you eat. I wonder if fat people taste like a big mac. :rolleyes:

I've eaten insects before. There's a store that sells them about 2 hours away from here. My favorite was the chocolate covered ants. My least favorite was the scorpion....... nasty......
    My great grandpa fried his fish in cornmeal.

You are assuming that you have both a stream and the ability to fish. That said, I think I will take take a fish over something that tastes like grass any day.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

im pretty sure i wouldnt use a grasshopper recipe from bear gryls. he's a stunt man not a survival guru.

7. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

His recipe was pull the head off and eat it raw. I'm not into eating anything raw except veggies and fruit.

8. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I ate some of these in Jinnan China, they were fried, and I thought they were pretty good.

P1000733.jpg

9. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Grasshoppers and crickets are 2 of the insects I rather enjoyed eating, compared to most others. Especially when quick fried in a cooking plate with some root tubers or shish-ca-bobbed over an open fire. Good source of protein and usually easy to catch or trap. Cook both till crispy...tastes like crunchy, burnt chicken skin. :cool:

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

eating raw food isnt a good idea if it can be at all avoided. the further you stray from your normal diet the more liekly diarhea sets in which is extemely dehydrating. eating raw insects is also a bad idea considering that other animals like flies birds mammals defacate on vegatation they crawl in and on. eating raw food and raw plants can subject you to dysentary or worse.

always clean your survival food if possible. if you get a little bit of trots because you went berry picking with the kids no biggee some pepto and some time in the bathroom good as new. same thing in a survival mode and your prolly gonna die.

11. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

Which is why I inquired as to how grasshoppers should be cooked.
    You can also get parasites from eating things raw.

You know I never thought about cleaning berries in a survival situation. I have been berry picking ever since I can remember. I always just looked the berry over for bird droppings and if I saw nothing I popped it into my mouth. Brings back memories of blackberry cobbler, yum.

12. SwampFox

SwampFox New Member

I remember going through SERE C and eating all kinds of undesirable food. The main thing is to just get enough calories and protein. Grasshoppers could sustain you for awhile but why would you just want to eat those when there are four legged meat sticks out there? The main thing is to stay away from milky pants and brightly colored bugs. If you don't know if it will kill you, eat a very small amount and wait 24 hours before eating more. If you are interested in survival you should check out the Army Survival Handbook FM 21-76.

13. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

If'n it came down to it, I'm just gonna croak now, rather than start eating bugs.

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

on a stick over a fire like shish kabob.

in a survival situation your body and mind is under extreme stress so eating things that wouldnt normally make you sick can very easily give ya da poops. just something to think about when your watching that stuff on tv. you can survive for nearly a month without food. only a few days without water or less.

15. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

Why do you build shelters when your home is not to far away? Why do your practice making fires? The answer is to be prepared.
    I am curious about grasshoppers because they are everywhere and they are easy to catch (usually). I just want to try catching them, try cooking them over a fire and then call it a day.

I will check it out.
    I went a week without food just to see the affects on my body. I became very weak on the third day. I also went for 2 days with very little water. Same thing, I became very weak.
    I honestly don't want to test that stress thing....

I have been following Dave Canterbury since 2008. Let me just say that Discovery channel Canterbury and the videos that he makes are completely different. Discovery channel needs action, suspense and drama to sell their shows.

16. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

And you see? This is why I will just stick to the hoppers ;). You just never see chocolate covered fish fillets!

17. aj1911

aj1911 New Member

one of the things i learned at a younger age was to pull the rear legs off and saute in butter

18. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Where there are crickets & grasshoppers there are dandelions. Those are recommended as a food source in the Army Survival Manual, just don't expect a salad topping.