Grass

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by string1946, Mar 31, 2014.

1. string1946

string1946 New Member

I just finished cutting the grass for the first time of the season and man did it ever feel good. Bought a new mower last year and it almost makes the job fun. Almost. Hopefully the grass on the range will start jumping and I can cut if for the first time soon.

2. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Cutting grass is better than shoveling snow, but I still bitch about both,,,,

3. string1946

string1946 New Member

This is Georgia. If we get 1/4" of snow we buy all the milk and bread we can find and then hunker down and wait for the sun to come out and melt it. They close the schools and advise everyone to stay off the roads if at all possible. The only people out are the ones that have to be at work and the rednecks with their 4 wheel drives and a chain riding around drinking beer and looking for someone to pull out of the ditch.

4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

There always seem to be a bunch of young high schoolers in my neighborhood that desperately need extra spending money.

Rather than being miserly and depriving them of a happy childhood, I let them make a little extra cash shovelling my snow and mowing my grass!:D

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Curses to you!

You must one of those that make the rest of us look bad.

I tried to explain to the wife that I was letting the grass germinate so we had a full, beautiful yard where we could hide the rusting cars.

6. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

cutting grass sucks! shoveling snow will give you a heart attack, so that sucks to!

7. string1946

string1946 New Member

My wife doesn't fall for that one any more. I've found if you push the old cars off the blocks you don't have to let the grass get as high and their good places to set the beer cans while you plink off the front porch.

8. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

A junk car gets a lot of attention around here. I want a car hood for a long range pistol target. I am going to get a car hood but I have to wait a few days. They just crushed all the cars with a damaged hood.

9. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I lived in South West Florida for 27 years . In the winter , once a week , cut the grass , in the rainy season , twice a week , cut the grass . In 2006 , I bought this house and have not cut the grass in ......? Six years . Love it ! :D
    This is my grass .

Attached Files:

10. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Still have way too much snow on the ground, its mud season here!

11. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Looks a lot like the "grass" at my place...

12. Mauserdoc

Mauserdoc New Member

Nice idea, but when my kids start bellyaching because they have nothing to do, I make THEM go cut the grass and shovel snow. Gives me more time for my past time, tinkering with old guns!

13. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Changed oil and started the mower yesterday. Have not used it yet but isn't going to be long. I refuse to mow more than once every other week. In the spring it gets kinda deep but so be it. A couple years ago I let it go a little to long and was mowing around the house with the push mower and ended up doing the copperhead dance....

14. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

When we moved to the acreage, bought a Cub Cadet riding mower. First time I used it, Wife thought it looked like fun, and now she cuts the grass. :D
    She helps me change out the blades, too, after she mows over a stump or rock... Once a year so far... :mad:

Yesterday I noticed that the grass that had started growing looked clipped, then I started watching the Chinese geese (4) and the Swedish Blue ducks (2) doing a darned good imitation of a mower. :cool: If they can't keep it short, we can always turn the sheep and goats out on it.

15. string1946

string1946 New Member

I'm just sitting here having some coffee and looking out the window and I just say my first hummingbird of the year. I usually put out one feeder around the middle of March and keep a check on it and just saw one having a drink.

16. Mauserdoc

Mauserdoc New Member

Sitting in the dining room, having my morning coffee and planning out the day. Look out the window and see no hummingbirds, just SNOW!

17. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

Spring has certainly got it's foot in the door here in Western Washington. The daffodils are near the end of their bloom. but the small trees and shrubs are busting out in new leaves.

I have mowed the grass twice at the rental house, but here at home, the cows are keeping things in check.

So it's not the snow or the grass that takes my time. I need to get the pitchfork and start moving cowpiles!

18. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

It's starting to green up here in central MO.,probably 2 weeks or less will be time for our first mow.

19. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

My grandmother always used to make me Mow her yard, it wasn't bad to me, I got iced tea, some spending money, and she taught me everything she knew about gardening, that woman could grow a plant from a twig! But I still can't...

Grass hasn't turned here in my part of Eastern Oklahoma, it's still brown, all the weeds are out and green though.

20. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I did my first cutting about a month ago. I always bag the first couple of cuttings and dump the grass in the compost pile. Gets the weed seeds out. I check every day and pluck the dandelion flowers off to try and break their seed cycle. I have fewer each year. Most of the ones I do have come from my lazy neighbors who let theirs go to seed.

My wife and I "fight" over who "gets" to mow the grass. We find it a relaxing workout.