Grandson suspended for "threatening" teacher

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by foodstr2, Sep 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foodstr2

foodstr2 New Member

My 10-year-old grandson got a 3-day suspension from school after remarking to a friend that "he'd like to shoot the teacher" for the horrendous homework assignment given the class. The remark got back to somebody 'in authority' and he was suspended.

This happened in TEXAS ... and his family doesn't even own a gun. (I'm sure it will go into his permanent record!)

How long until we start executing such "firebrands" ... just in case??

Bruce
    http://www.internet-grocer.com

2. blackxpress

blackxpress New Member

Could've been worse. He could've drawn a picture of a gun and been expelled permanently.

3. foodstr2

foodstr2 New Member

Good point, BX! Guess we better have all 3-D printers locked up so the kids can't print one that looks real, huh?

4. orangello

orangello New Member

You should take him on a nice fishing trip. It would be a good time to explain to him about ninnies and how they sometimes require kid glove treatment to avoid bruising of their fragile egos.

5. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

So if I threaten to shoot someone, that's ok??:::confused::: you might want to use that item between your ears and think about this a little more. Here try this go and threaten to shoot your boss or better yet a cop and see what happens!!

6. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Oh good lord we said we where going to nuke our gym teacher in Jr. High. So you think we should have been jailed?

7. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

Nuking and shooting are completely different. How many people do you know that own nukes compared to how many people you know that own firearms? Use some common sense on this subject.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

Saying that I would like to kick so&so's butt is not the same as threatening to kick so&so's butt.

9. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

Did you read what he said even? For it to be a threat he would have had to have said it TO the teacher. And I believe he said he'd "like to shoot" the teacher, not that he was going. I'm sure I've said worse, but I was smart/lucky enough not to say it to the wrong person.

10. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

Ok so I shouldn't have used threaten. Then I'll let you guys try use "I would like to shoot you to a cop" see what happens. You still shouldn't use like or threat to shoot someone. Orangello kick butt is completely different then shooting someone.

11. orangello

orangello New Member

You misunderstand. The child (under the age of legal responsibility for most crimes I believe) stated to a third party, and possibly in a joking or sarcastic manner, that he would like to shoot another person over a very minor issue. An issue so minor that it is unlikely that any thinking person would believe him to be serious, particularly since he lacked the means to commit the offense. To a child with no access to a firearm or training in the use of firearms, I would say there is not that much difference between "shoot" and "nuke".

See the chart down at the bottom for the ages of criminal responsibility in the US http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_of_infancy . This kid is pretty close.

If I were to say to my neighbor that I would "like to nuke that nutty mayor over these sorry road conditions or taxes", that would be a comparable statement.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  12. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

But when you're ten you don't think that someone is going to take that seriously. When I was in elementary school I wouldn't have gotten suspended for that. I would have gotten talked to about how that isn't okay to say and someone may actually believe you meant it. And it wasn't really that long ago that I was 10. Things have just gotten stupid in the last 11 years even. People forget that kids are kids, not adults.

Now if there's a part of the story we're missing, such as the kid has gotten in trouble for something like this in the past or has emotional issues that have been a problem, then maybe the school's reaction wasn't out of line. If you accept the story how it's told then the school is run by idiots.

What happened to explaining things to kids? I'm surprised they didn't recommend him for a psych evaluation.

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

Your grandson was wrong, IMO, for expressing such sentiment. Maybe some heart to heart talking about how we shouldn't desire violence is in order.

I think the school over reacted, and I'll refer back to orangello's last post on the matter for the reasons why.

But, to be fair, school shootings committed by students are a scary happening, and can happen to anyone at any time. Does the school know that the kid's family doesn't even own guns? Likely not. So, in today's society, it behooves them to take some form of disciplinary action. I think that calling the parents in for a chat and allowing them to handle it from there would (should) be perfectly sufficient.

He (and you, and the rest of the family) should count him lucky that he wasn't arrested on the spot and handcuffed to a chair at the local police station, and then expelled from school permanently with a court ordered psyche eval and lifetime counseling. Not to mention a bill from an outside grief counselor that could have been called into the school to talk to other students who "could have been traumatized" by his careless running off at the mouth. (not unheard of in the least in this new fangled PC pansy assed society)

Face it man. **** got real. Orangello's advice on talking to him about how pansy little bitches have to be handled with kid gloves is sound. I talk to my kid almost daily along these same lines.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i think it boils down to we are living in an age of political correctness. had a kid the same age said the same thing under the same circumstances 15, 20 or 30 years ago, no one would have had their feathers ruffled or taken offence at the statement.

another problem is that many people have lost the ability to use common sense and reasoning. had in this case, common sense or reasoning had been used, they wuld have know it was humourous or sarcastic remark and let it go as it should have been.

15. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Wouldn't be surprised, an evaluation so they can decide he is ADD/AHADD/ETC. force him on some meds, turn him into a drooler that just sits there and doesn't cause them any more trouble.. 10 yr olds can be a little ornery,hyper,fidgety,etc....they always have been. But schools have discovered these new "conditions"....drug the little buggers.......

16. vincent

vincent New Member

Suspended for hearsay??? What crap...:mad:

Make sure to keep him away from Pop Tarts and t-shirts...:rolleyes:

17. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Thought is still legal in the USA. LIkes are not the same as threats. I would like to punch Nany Pelosi in the face. Should the Secret Service/FBI now come drab me off to prison?

The blissninnies of the American educational system are indoctrinating our youth. Sheeple do not have such individual thoughts.

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

as interesting as this is it doesnt belong outside the politics subforum

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.