grandpaw died...guns left behind

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Questions, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Questions

Questions New Member

Hello fellow gun lovers....A friend of mines grand father has passed away and she now has guns and has no idea what they are....neither do i...I was hoping you all could help me identify them and possibly help determine their value

this first one from what i can tell is a Remington model 11....not to sure about its value or details though
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

any thoughts????

2. Questions

Questions New Member

next we have a couple of bolt action rifles i assume....have no clue what these are though...no markings on these either....any thoughts on these? value?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    thank you gents so much!

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I moved your thread to the General Rifle Discussion forum.

I can tell you that the last rifle is an Enfield military rifle chambered in .303, but that's about all I know about it. Other folks here will be able to tell you much more.

If you can get some closer shots of any markings and some closer shots of the actions, it would be helpful for identification purposes..

4. Questions

Questions New Member

for some reason the quick reply wont work...i have to quote some one to reply....

there were no markings on any of them other that the model 11

thats what confuses me....hopefully some one can recognize these and help me out here...my friend wants to get them appraised and pass them down to her children one day

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Use the "Post Reply" on the bottom left of the last post and you'll be good to go.

The second rifle has a cut down look to it. It looks like it was a military stock that was modified to make a hunting rifle type stock. I don't have any idea about the muzzle brake.

We're really are going to need better pics to give you good info.

6. Questions

Questions New Member

hmmm ok....i need to tell my lady friend what exactly to take pics of...so what should i tell her specifically?

thanks for the help as well

7. Wambli

Wambli Member

The first one is a Remington Model 11. It was manufactured under license from Browning in the US and with some very small changes it is a twin of the Browning A5 autoloader shotgun. Great gun but apparently grandpa was not a big stickler for cleaning or oiling.

The second gun is NOT a rifle. It is a Mossberg bolt action shotgun. A fairly inexpensive shotgun in it's day and never their most popular model. They don't have much collector value but they are decent shooters.

The third gun is a British WWII rifle, an Enfield #4.

That should get your started on your search for info. Values for all of them is in the $2-300 range each, maybe a little less because they are not in very good shape.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Wambli is dead on target. The Mossberg shotgun will be marked on the barrel- you MAY have an 85K or its cousin. Values on those are $60-$100 range, depending on condition, .410's a tad higher. The No4 Mk1 Enfield rifle may have marking on the metal band at the wrist. These were military rifles, made for the government, so do not have a brand name. Value may run $100-$250, depending on condition, how the bore looks, headspace, etc. Normally in caliber .303 British.

9. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

So shoot me a price and find a way to ship them to Iowa if they are still in working order.

10. Questions

Questions New Member

wow thanks my man

let me talk to my lady friend and see if she is interested in selling them and maybe i can list them later...

11. Laufer

Laufer New Member

Your Enfield #4/Mk. 1 looks just like the three in my group.
    If the bolt # matches the action or butt socket #, even better for a sales price.

If the bore has little or no shine after cleaning, maybe $200 or more.
    You can check for "US Property" (Savage), or "Longbranch" or "LB" (Canadian). Those built in Britain often say "ROF (F)", maybe "BSA", or have weird letters for a Maltby (M Y) etc.

My three #4s all have pretty bright bores, matching bolts (not mags).
    They all listed for about $300 in southern gun shows which took place from July '09 until last February.
    You must realize that a pawn shop or gun shop will probably tell you that the Enfield (or other guns) are worth much less, even if in good condition or better.

You will get a good bit of feedback with some photos and longer description at Surplusrifle and Gunboards, even Gunandgame.

An Aussie moderator named "Tikirocker" knows his Enfields quite well, and can pin it down quickly with more info and your look into a cleaned bore.

12. Wambli

Wambli Member

You are welcome! Glad to help where I can.

13. Questions

Questions New Member

thanks...they were a lady friend of mines and from what she is telling me she is going to pawn them....pretty big mistake IMO she should have them looked at or something, but this thread was my attempt to help her out....seems like she is interested in quick cash instead of whats best... oh well

thank you every one for your inputs though!

14. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

Pawn them??? Jesus Christ!!!!

15. freefall

freefall New Member

Get a new lady friend.

16. Questions

Questions New Member

lol she isnt my "lady friend" haha i am married...she is just an acquaintance who is a lady .