Grand Rapids MI PD Response to Open Carrier

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by partdeux, Jan 3, 2014.

1. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Reasonable, right???

Except for one little teeny weeny fact, the RO fabricated the entire RAS.

There is a LOT of information in the comment sections.

This from the comments

2. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

This article supports many of my concerns. When someone uses the phrase "...reason to believe..." this is supporting an opinion. Opinions are never wrong. Argue with me if you wish but opinions are never wrong.

How do you fight against ones opinion? There are no outstanding facts about this article at least in what is published to change the RO opinion of what might be about to happen.

Deffert acted oddly - another opinion that can't be disputed.

Until the powers to be can remove the subjectivity of judgement from each case, this is what we will be stuck with. About the comments...a lot more opinions if you ask me.

It will be interesting to see what becomes of this case.

3. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

******* cops have been violating citizens rights for years. Nothing new here.

4. partdeux

People that have viewed the dash cam said he was walking down the sidewalk with his back to the LEO... just walking. How odd is that behavior?

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If I was an officer in the same situation I would have detained him as well. Lets be honest with ourselves. You don't disrupt a church service. Many churches have assigned shooters. The situation could have gotten out of hand very easily. As a police officer I would not have charged him but I would have detained him until the church service was over. Then he could get his youtube buddy or carry on with whatever he was planning to do.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

Anyone can make a comment in a comment section and make up any story they want to.

From the story there was no violation of any civil rights.

Person armed in front f a church acting strange, detained and background check run then released with firearm once it was determined he wasn't a threat.

I don't see any issue at all and the officer did exactly what I would have done under the same instance.

That moron suing the police for doing a damn fine job is lucky a ccw citizen didn't blow his fool head off.

7. therewolf

therewolf New Member

My opinion? Doesn't this guy make us all look like jackasses,

by doing something very questionable, while openly carrying?

I'm afraid I have to agree completely with JonM, on this one.

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Too many "open carry advocates" have become "open carry radicals". Parading around in prominent places to draw attention to yourself and DARE the Police to confront you? Yes, stupid and counter productive.

" I am just exercising my rights and raising public awareness". BULL $HIT!!! You are stirring up the populace to make your "point". The "point" is you are a douche bag.

If you want to raise awareness, stand on the street corner and hand out fliers. Get your buddies together and buy a 30 second radio spot. Kind of like raising awareness of 1st Amendment rights by yelling controversial things on the street corner. People rightfully label you as "crazy". Why is this any different?

Exercise your rights, don't flaunt them.

9. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Want to "raise awareness"? Get out the 22s. Take some noobs to

the range. Show them how to shoot.

People don't see what you want them to see, they see what

they WANT to see. Act like a "gun nut" and they will see

a gun nut.

Let them feel the self-empowerment of shooting, and they will

see that it is a fun sport, and want to get involved.

10. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

^^^^This^^^^

We should not encourage folks to play games with the police by open carrying guns. Much of this is copy cat stuff egged on by members of forums like this one.

So far as i can determine the first person to plan a confrontation with the police by open carrying was the guy in TN who carried a Draco in the park. He painted the gun orange so the police would think it was a toy: Yeah, right!! That guy lost his CCW.

11. enfieldaddict

enfieldaddict New Member

Unfortunately for us common sense open carriers we get treated like attention who*** because of idiots but not all of us are like that

12. partdeux

Jeeze people, have you read what I have written?

People that have seen the dash cam video (and not his legal team) have said he was walking on the opposite side of the street from the church, walking away from the LEO, who couldn't of heard him even if he was talking, since the car windows were up.

Here's the slippery slope factor, the city administration is very anti firearm. There have been at least a couple of "settled" lawsuits for very similar circumstances. The county clerk has been extremely slow to issue conceal pistol permits, in spite of MI being a shall issue state. Mayor has very public in his dissatisfaction that he can't make his own firearm law against state preemption.

It's obvious the city is sending a message to make it very difficult on people that carry, open or conceal.

Once the video gets released, I'll point you to it, but I absolutely trust the word of the people that have seen the video. This was nothing more than a guy out for a walk.

13. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

I feel that there is a time and place for open carry. I'm not going to open carry in any big cities. I live in a very small town, and will open carry once in a while. I do prefer concealed carry. I feel that its sort of like playing cards. Ya don't want to show what ya got.

14. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

It would not surprise me that the police made up their story.

15. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I disagree.
    Right not exercised go the way of the Dodo bird.

How did the vocal minority that has been changing the country for the worse been doing it?

Loudmouthed in your face antics thats how.
    Everytime you challenge a social dictate you move the line a little bit

16. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Would those "people" be your best friend's, neighbor's, cousin's best friend from high school?

Like I said, this is NOT an exercise of rights. This is a flaunt of rights. So the tactics of the vocal minority are now something to be emulated? Everytime you push the line, the line pushes back. THIS is the wrong tactic at the wrong time!

17. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

If some clown was standing outside of my church open carrying a gun talking to himself like a crazy, he'd be picking gravel out of his face and end up looking down the barrel of more firepower than he's probably ever seen in his life. He would WANT the police to detain him to protect him from all the crazy rednecks wanting to know what the hell his problem was. And I'd be elbow to elbow with those lovely ladies and gentlemen. Nobody's busting through our door and popping a cap in our pastor or our members. Ain't happening.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  18. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

My cousins husband was a young rural county sheriff many years ago. One Sunday morning an armed man was waving a pistol in front of the local Methodist church. When the sheriff approached the "Perp" shot him 7 times with a 9MM pistol. There is a reason to be suspect of some armed people.:(

19. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

I prefer concealed carry as well but when and where open carry is legal you shouldn't have to get a gun thrown in your face and detained by a scumbag cop for exercising your rights.

20. enfieldaddict

enfieldaddict New Member

There is a difference between a man waving a gun and a citizen with a holstered gun