Grampa's guns

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Glasshartt, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Ok guys, and gals, since we have the new gun safe, I just got the "family" guns from my dad. 3 rifles and 1 shotty. I don't know if any of them have any value, other than family history. Does anyone have any thoughts?

The Ithaca dbl bbl, (SN:241***) he found when he was a teen, out in the woods behind his house, in the snow.

Attached Files:

2. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

The Stevens-Savage 30-30 (Model 325-C, no SN) and the 35 Remington (GameMaster Model 141, SN: 290**) were my grandfather's, and dad's, deer rifles. The recoil pad is on the 35 to make it longer. The rifle was too short for my dad.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010

3. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

The Winchester .22 (Model 02, no SN) was my dad's from when he was a kid. It is surprisingly accurate for such a small rifle.

Attached Files:

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I'm clueless as to values and scarcity or whatever, but you have a very nice piece of family history there. I'm glad you have them as I know they will be well cared for. :)

5. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Thanks CA, just hoping to find out a little more about them.

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I love to see old guns being passed down thru families. I can't tell you if they have any value but I wouldn't get rid of them.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have never seen a rifle chambered for .22 "extra long". Did they call the .22 long rifle the "extra long" when first introduced? That may help date the rifle. It might be a very early model and very valuable because of the markings.

The rest, very nice indeed.

8. Dcomf

Dcomf New Member

9. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Wow, thanks, I don't think that I would shoot it without getting it checked first. I know that my dad has shot it in the past, but there is some light pitting up near the stock and I wouldn't want to risk it. I did look at some of the serial number lists but I had no idea what model it is.

10. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Robo, I'm not sure. I don't think that the long and extra long were the same because it mentions both on the barrel markings. I think it may have been made between 1920 and 1930. I found a little info on the web, but not much.

11. orangello

orangello New Member

.22 Extra Long - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    It's wiki, but it has some dates on the .22 "extra long".
    The .22 Extra Long ceased to be offered commercially in 1935.[1]
    Introduced around 1880, the .22 Extra Long was used in Remington, Ballard, Wesson, Stevens, and later (1916) models of Winchester's M1903 and M1904 single shot bolt action rifles,[1] as well as in Smith & Wesson revolvers.[1]
    Thanks, i had never heard of the .22 "extra long".

Nowhere near new. Nice collection!

12. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Just got a response from Ithaca. :)

Dear Linda,

Your Ithaca double barrel side by side shotgun is a Flues Model, which was built in 1913.

Here is a little history on the Flues Model:

The Flues Model

The Flues Model was introduced in 1906 and remained in production through 1926; it enjoyed the longest production life of any Ithaca double gun. The Flues was built on a three piece lock mechanism designed and patented by Emil Flues. The lock mechanism was comprised of a sear, a hammer with integral cocking arm, and a coil spring. The frame of the Flues model was stronger than that of its predecessors, because the simpler lock mechanism required less metal to be milled from it; making reinforcement around the water table and standing breech no longer necessary.

The Flues Model was offered in 10, 12, 16, 20 and 28 gauges; and in several different grades beginning with the Field grade and ending with the Sousa Special grade.

Approximately 223,000 guns were produced between1908 and the end of 1925.

A Field Grade Flues Model currently in excellent condition is booked price to be worth an estimated $1000; the Sousa Special in excellent condition is listed to be worth and estimated $15000.

Thank you for contacting

Ithaca Gun Company

Patty Cooper

USA All the Way!!

13. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

Dang girl! VERY nice collection you've got there. We should all be so lucky to be left such a fine assortment of "collectibles" :D

14. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The "long" and the "long rifle" are different animals. The "long rifle" cartridge is longer than the long that's why I thought "extra long" may be the same or very similar to the LR.

15. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Oh, I didn't know that, thanks.