Grains?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Tackleberry1, May 6, 2010.

1. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Ok fellas, I may be about to show my azz here but I've got a question that's been bugging me for awhile and I've just felt to foolish to ask.

What's a grain? :confused: And please, don't tell me it's a unit of measure used to describe bullet weight...I've got that part, but what the hell does it relate to?

Is it some odball term that's been burned into our launguage which has no basis in reality? Is it an actual unit of measure that's only used for ammuntion because I've never heard of any other item being rated by grains?

What's a grain? How much does a grain weigh?

If this is trully a stupid question, please, just have a chuckle at my expense and answer it for me.

Thanks,

TACK

2. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

A grain is a unit of measurement of mass that is based upon the mass of a single seed of a typical cereal. Historically, in Europe, the average masses of wheat and barley grain were used to define units of mass, with the troy grain based on barley. Since 1958, the grain or troy grain (Symbol: gr) measure has been redefined on the basis of the unit of mass of the International System of Units as precisely 64.79891 milligrams.[1][2] Thus, there are precisely 7,000 grains per avoirdupois pound in the Imperial and U.S. customary units. In fact, the grain is the only unit of mass measure common to the traditional three English mass and weight systems (avoirdupois, Apothecaries', troy). Moreover, the measure for pearls and diamonds—the pearl grain and the metric grain—are equal to 1⁄4 of a (metric) carat, i.e. 50 mg (0.77 gr).
    The obsolete Tower grain was lighter than the troy grain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grain_(mass)

4. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

As I understand it the unit of measure was around in the time of the apothecary. I am not positive it started there but they used it and still do in the medical field. I had really not gave it all that much thought until my wife went to taking a pharmacy tech class for work and it showed up there in the apothecary math section along with some other really odd terms like drams and scruples. Grains there cross refer to milligrams with a funky formula. She tells me that a Dr up there still orders 30 grains of Tylenol which comes to 650 mg.

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Cool. Hey Tack, I didn't know either. ;)

6. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

And three barleycorns laid next to each other equals an inch in length.

7. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

And a foot is---well--the length of a foot!

Kind of weird about the barleycorns. You sure it's three? Seems like we
    would be doing thirds/sixths/twelfths/twentyfourths instead of half/quarter/
    eighth etc.

8. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

And a yard is the distance between King George’s nose and the end of his arm. (so the legend goes)

9. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Good info fellas, thanks...

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Just remember that pound of gun powder on your reloading bench consists of 7,000 grains.

11. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

Only if you have size 13 feet! Which is why I tell my wife that my size 13 feet are normal and everyone else's feet are sub-standard!