Grab that gun fast

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by gatopardo, Nov 15, 2010.

1. gatopardo

gatopardo New Member

Some of us have a preferred "night stand shooter", at the ready, which is our tool of choice in the case of an emergency. there are special holster used on the bedside which allow for a quick draw. But that is not the case with everyone else. Some of us literally lay our gun over a night stand at hands reach, in my case there are two of them,on each side of the bed.

We find that laying a couple of pieces of phosphorescent self adhesive on the bottom of the magazine, helps you locate your weapon in a moment of excitement.

[​IMG]

Why two pieces? Two is better than one, two indicate a direction, a vector.
    Say , you could use the same technique on your light switches indicating the direction of the swipe needed to get that light on.

Please notice also both pieces are not the same size, indicating this way the direction of the barrel

[​IMG]

You don't need to do on all mags, just that specific one, once you grab the gun, if you use your weak hand "saucer style", the self adhesive is covered so, this way it won't compromise your position.

The argument can be made by seasoned experts in the matter, that this enhancement is unnecessary, having practiced and honed that specific skill, unfortunately, that is not everyone, me included.
    When life is at risk every bit helps.

2. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

Very good idea. I've been using a sheet of metal about a 16th of an inch thick, 12" wide, with a 45 on it. The short side is about 5" that holds the holster. Long side, between box and matt.,is about 7" Easy to reach. when the beds made,can hardly tell its there. I think there's a co. out there making them,Blue press has it I believe. Good thinking with the tape though.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

not a bad idea long as you got tape with a glow that will last the nite :)

4. Dizzll

Dizzll New Member

Seems good to me. I can see my night sights very clearly though. It's funny cuz I literally close my eyes and position my gun so the handle hangs off a bit but so in the middle of the night I will reach exactly for it. Since I don't use a holster at night I don't chamber my Glock haha... That could be embarrassing or dangerous cuz I woke up from a nightmare...

5. oldman45

oldman45 New Member

Anything visible to the owner will be visible to others. I do not, as a gun owner, LEO or carrying CCW want anything to draw attention to my gun.

I am a creature of habit. My carry 1911 is placed each night on a cotten (clean) baby diaper on top of a dresser three feet from my bedside. Without any markings, the position will not vary one inch on any night.

The reason for being three feet from the bed is I have worked likely a hundred accidental shootings. Many of them took place in a bedroom after a nightmare, sudden movement or unusual noise. The sleepy gun owner grabbed a gun from under the mattress, out of the pillow slip or off the night stand and fired before being fully awake or identifying the intended target. The target usually was a child, wife or relative spending a night.

Having to step from the bed to a dresser causes the gun owner to become alert enough to understand what is going on such as the wife tripping over a pair of shoes as she returns from a trip to the bathroom. The gun is also close enough that if it was an unwanted and unwelcome intruder that it can be reached long before the intruder enters the darkened bedroom. Most intruders are not familar with the layout of the home as is the homeowner and darkness as well as familarity of the home is on the side of the homeowner.

Just my opinion and each to his own.

6. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Very good advice and explanation, OldMan. I like your thinking.

7. Greebo

Greebo New Member

I agree with Oldman....while I don't have anywhere 3 ft from my bed (LOL small room) I do keep mine in a drawer beside me but unloaded, I figure the time it will take me to insert the mag and chamber will be enough in a stressful situation to become fully awake, or at least to identify that it is not an actual threat.

8. Jay

Jay New Member

It would be difficult for an intruder to gain access to my home undetected at night. The 80 pound dog could be taken out, but the audible motion sensors will give us plenty of time to wake before any sort of potential target presents itself.

9. Krazeehorse

Krazeehorse New Member

My XD40SC that I carry lays in the same position, oriented the same way every night next to my alarm clock. I slide a light on the rail when I put it there.

10. Greebo

Greebo New Member

Sorry I have to disagree with Krazehorse here, creatures of habit we may be, but I have to admit I am a firm believer in Murphy's law, the one day something is forgotten is usually the day it will be needed...that's why I don't train myself with the 'exact same position' mentality - no offence to those that do, but I strongly believe in training to be adaptable to any and all situations - weak arm loading/shooting, single hand shooting, shooting while moving etc....while the gun is kept in the same place each night I don't subscribe to the exact same position and angle school of thinking. I believe any training that focuses on being the exact same and is not adaptable to be more harm the good in most events.

11. Jay

Jay New Member

I've adapted to many things over 40 years of shooting, but my basics will function the same way. I will not subject myself to trying to remember different positioning of that pistol on my nightstand every night. It's put in the same place to avoid my having to "remember" where/how it lays. I know where it is, and I can retrieve it without having to adapt to anything. I cannot practice what I would do if the floor under my nightstand suddenly fell through, or other "not likely" scenarios. Adaptation is fine, and training to adapt is fine, but I'm a believer in "consistency breeds proficiency". I've taught that way for many years, and been very successful with it.

I don't think that human beings can do much of anything that's not adaptable. If one doesn't train repeatedly, using the same techniques, muscle memory never develops. Being able to adapt is good, but the base function should be repeatable without too much conscious effort, in order for the adaptation to be successful. One can "think" of an adaptive solution, but physically executing that solution will be more successful if practiced..... preferably the same way, each time …..

To each his/her own.

12. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Indeed. Having a dog, besides a reachable and visible firearm, go hand and hand when we are talking about home security and protection. A dog is the cheapest and #1 security investment one could make and your first alert...or you can pay a fancy security service $15-$20 a month, if for some reason you can't have a dog. Some people have both.

Upkeep and expense works out about the same, but with a dog there are many, many other rewarding and memorable benefits, and he is part of the family!

I suppose you could pat that security representative on the head once in the while and tell them good boy or girl! ;)

Just my [​IMG] worth, keep the change. :cool:

13. Jay

Jay New Member

You can always go out and buy a good shotgun. We have been very fortunate to have always had outstanding dogs...... including this one.......

From this.....

[​IMG]

To this... in 18 months...... 80 pounds.....

[​IMG]

14. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Shotgun was included in my meaning of "reachable and visible firearm" in my post. ;)

Good looking dog Jay! :cool:

This one will not only bark and alert me to any intrusion sounds in the night, but if he gets a hold of you, he will damn sure chew your toe off...or anything else he can reach! Notice the evil red eyes! :eek:

Attached Files:

15. Jay

Jay New Member

I see the glint in his eyes... :) I don't want Luka to bite anyone. He's never done so, and I wouldn't encourage it. He does a very good job of alerting to strangers, and looks imposing enough that most wouldn't try him. I'm ok with that.....

Sorry, didn't mean to "drift" the thread...

16. WDB

WDB New Member

To the OP that is a neat tip and thanks for sharring. I expect if a bad guy saw the two glowing spots it would take far longer for them to figure out it a handgun that it would take the owner to know it is a handgun and grab it. As mentioned by another poster I use my night sights for a similar purpose when I tuck in for the night. I fully understand the three step concept (keep your firearms three steps from where you sleep so you have time to wake before you touch the firearm). I expect it is a good idea but not for me simply because I can't be certian I will be allowed three step by the intruder. I perfer the creature of habit method several mentioned. I put my pistol in the same location each night, close at hand. I expect if your prone to nightmares that wake you to grab a firearm this may be a bad idea. In short it comes down to what works for you to keep you and your safe if bad comes to your home.

BTW Jack what are you feeding that little demon dog? It looks pizzed!

17. oldman45

oldman45 New Member

FWIW:

There are currently a few awaiting either trials or sentencing for shootings they maintain took place during their sleep due to the ready presence of a gun.

I am as pro gun as anyone. Yet I investigate these type shootings a couple times a year. Each shooter always says they were careful and never expected it could hapen to them.

Nationwide, it happens hundreds of times annually.

As to obtaining a weapon at night, put me inside any home and I can get three feet from a deep sleep before an intruder will get to the bedroom.

If a home is properly locked with quality materials, there will be enough noise made to waken a person before actual entry can be made.

Most home invasions take place when the residents are not home. Those taking place while the residents are present will generally begin with a knock on the door.

Trust me on this. It can happen to you. Just as one would not put a gun within the reach of children, they put it where a toddler can get to it as the owner sleeps, they put it where they can accidently use it in some fashion and they end up being charged with shooting a household member.

We each know what we feel is best for ourselves and we each say things will not happen to us but they do happen to us. Just as those getting a first offense DUI always say, " I am careful and I would not drive if I were intoxicated." The accidental home shooter says, "You cannot arrest me, I did not mean to do this. It was an accident."

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  18. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

mine stays in my top dresser drawer(in my carry holster), along with spare mag, Surefire G2, wallet, keys and pocketknife.

I have a 2 yearold, so leaving it on the endtable is not an option anymore.

19. RTMiller

RTMiller New Member

Just how big and far away from the bed are your nightstands people?

If your struggling to find your nightstand gun when you wake to a strange noise you need a smaller nightstand. If you wake up and the intruder is already standing over you you're probably screwed anyway. But if you do survive, get a different dog. If you didn't have a dog, get one.

I keep my gun on the nightstand in its SERPA holster. That way I won't accidentally shoot myself when I reach for the snooze button.

20. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

A good dog can make a man a crowd. One should always have a few around.