Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by CastleKing, May 27, 2009.

1. CastleKing

CastleKing New Member

I am still searching for a .357 Revolver to have as a possible home defense gun ( I already have two 9mm as carry/home defense guns so I'm covered) because I like the point and shoot ease of use. :I'm not looking to use it necessarily as a CCW firearm, although I probably could especially in winter, but a stainless revolver might come in good use as a camp gun as well. I also like being able to have a firearm that will take both 38s and .357 should ammo continue to stay scarce.

I have recently looked at a Rossi revolver, but I just found a Ruger GP100 w/ a 4" barrell, stainless steel at my local gun shop for around $550. This still seems a bit high to me, but I know the S&W counterparts are still in the $650 - $700 range, so I'm thinking it's the cost of the times. I have read lots of posts about the reliability of the Ruger and it seems to be generally accepted as almost as good as a S&W. Is this a good price for this gun, brand new in box, right now? Any experience with this firearm would be welcome as well.
  2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

You can probably find a 4" GP100 for less than $550. if you shop around a bit.

I own both S&W's and Rugers. Both are excellent revolvers. Rugers are built like a tank and virtually indestructable. S&W's are somewhat smoother and generally lighter. Both have their good and bad points.

If you want a good HD handgun, you'd be hard pressed to find something better than a 4" GP100. It's stout and will handle any round you feed it.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

3. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Just try to find one for less than 550 or talk the dealer down a little.
  4. Water-Man

Water-Man New Member

I've owned a GP-100 for years. It's as good as they get. When I go into the woods, it goes with me.