Gp100 with fixed sights?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by old fart, Aug 21, 2013.

1. old fart

old fart New Member

a guy wants to trade me this to my auto as i have ammo and he doesn't. he says its a gp100, but i've never seen a fixed sight, how old would you think this is? thanks
    [​IMG]

2. orangello

orangello New Member

It is not necessarily old. I bleve they have a current model with fixed sights and a 3" barrel.

http://ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1715.html There are two or three versions of the lil SP101 with fixed sights and shorter barrels.

Yours does have the cool, wood insert grips instead of the more comfortable Hogue finger-grooved grips. I picked my 6" GP100 up with the big squishy grips a couple of years ago, so it is probably older than that. Of course, a kind forumite sold me some of the cool wood insert grips for dress occasions. They might be able to give you a year of origin: http://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory.html

I like the look of the shorty, but I don't want a carry revolver myself; I like them at the "range".

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013

3. old fart

old fart New Member

he's wanting $550 or my new stoeger cougar 40 cal., 4 mags and 300rds ammo. would ya'll trade? thanks

4. orangello

orangello New Member

MSRP always seems high and is $730ish. Buds last had one for $542.

He wants a lot; I hope it is minty or comes with some ammo or holster. I guess it depends on how much you like the stoeger. Those are two VERY different handguns.

5. old fart

old fart New Member

no ammo with the ruger, and he doesn't know anything about it. he traded for it to just trade on. thanks

6. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

This is the highly desirable 3 inch SS GP100 with the desirable wood insert grip (they dont make these grips anymore, the fully rubber ones are more comfortable but many folks like the old school wood inserts)
    Those are a real gem and the 3 inch barrel is quite accurate with the 357 magnum Ammo.

Due ot supply issues in good used condition easily worth it's MSRP as most sellers are out of stock of GP100'a in general and 3 inch in particular.
    Since they are hard to find some folks 'round these parts pay MSRP or more if they are LNIB for a local FTF

There is one FS LNIB on a local forum for $675 and I would have bought it, if it wasnt such a long drive.
    Still might.

Also the 3 inch forms the basis of the GP100 Wiley Clapp edition.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013