Gp100 vs Sp101

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by ChicagoBullsEye, Apr 30, 2012.

1. ChicagoBullsEye

ChicagoBullsEye New Member

Which is better? What are the differences? Is one more accurate/durable than the other? I'm looking to get one of them with a 4 inch barrel. Your thoughts and advise would be appreciated, thanks!

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The difference is size and weight. I have an SP101 with 2" barrel that weighs 27 oz loaded. The 4.2" will be a little heavier and they are 5 shot in 357. A 4" GP100 is going to weigh about 40 oz empty and is 6 shot. They are both durable. The choice depends on what you want to do. For the range and hd the GP100 would be the better choice. For carry the SP101 unless you enjoy carrying a lot of excess weight. The old Security Six was a good compromise. Very similar in size and weight to the S&W 19. They are hard to find as owners dont often sell them.

3. fupuk

fupuk New Member

I personally have a gp100 with a 4inch barrel and i love it. Its my range gun and carry gun. Me and my oldlady bought her father an sp101 i belive its a 2 1/2 inch barrel hammerless and he keeps his for a carry gun when he goes hunting. But he did take it hog hunting and got a nice size hog with it at 25 yards. They are both accurate and both are built like tanks. Its more of what size of a handgun do you want? That target was from my gp100 at i believe 20yards with no rest. And that was like the second time going to the range with it. I love the weight of it and the way the grip fits my hand. Either way you cant go wrong with a ruger.

Attached Files:

4. PSYCHOFREAK3

PSYCHOFREAK3 New Member

I'm currently debating the same thing. I'm leaning more towards the SP101 for grip size as it will be my wife's first gun. She has held both, they are both very similar but the SP101 with a 4.2 inch barrel and FO front sight just looks amazing.

5. levelcross

levelcross New Member

I have had a SP-101 for several years and shoot the heck out of it, so it is a solid piece. The GP is heavier so PD might prove it a little heavy compared to the SP, I feel a good set of grips will make quite a bit of difference on either gun and love the Hogue grips on mine.

Attached Files:

6. ChicagoBullsEye

ChicagoBullsEye New Member

I never realized that the SP101 is only a 5 shot. I think that's all I needed to hear. I do believe I'll go with the GP100, although I like the look of the SP101 more. Gotta have that extra round though!

7. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Both are better than many other revolvers. The GP100 has a larger frame, but that comes with added weight. The 4" barrel is nice. You might want to consider the 357 Magnum...both the GP100 and the SP101 come in 357 Mag and at last check the instructions clearly say you can download to 38 Special (less expensive and easier on your hands for range days).

The GP100 is offered in 6" barrel, whereas the longest for the SP101 is 4".

For me, the SP101 works best for my medium hands. Hogue grips made the fit perfect.

8. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

Very happy with my GP100 .357 stainless w/ 3" barrel, I don't enjoy cleaning it as much as my 1911 type semi's but other than that I am happy

9. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I too have the SP101 and it is typically my back up gun/truck gun.

Either are good choices. Tough, reliable, and reasonably accurate.

Tack

10. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Or just get both. Im planning on getting the sp101 for the summer months or when i really need to "hide" it. You can never go wrong with buying both of them.

11. Tom86

Tom86 New Member

I have both. Both are fantastic guns. I find I have the SP101 with me more. It's just a more convenient size to have with me in a greater variety of situations. It's also the gun I use if someone who isn't familiar with guns wants to learn to shoot.

12. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I'm intrigued by the new Sp101 .357 with the 4.2" barrel.It seems like you would get the accuracy and stopping power of any 4" barrel out there yet a 5 shot cylinder that seems like it would be highly concealable with the right setup.

13. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

The SP-101 is probably the way to go for carry. The GP100 wins out by a mile in every other situation. I have a 2.25" SP101 and it's a great little gun. Quite a handful with full-house loads though. I don't carry it so I'll probably trade it off at some point for a GP100 or S&W 627 or 686. They're all excellent guns.

I've been eyeing one of those 4.2" SP-101's as well though...stainless with the wood-inlay grips (love those grips)...a beautiful gun in my opinion. I hate the size:capacity ratio of that particular setup. 5 rounds in a relatively full-framed and heavy gun seems a bit impractical, but it would probably just be a range toy anyway.

But back to the OP: If it's simply for range work and home defense, you want the GP100. Great gun. Beautiful, simple, reasonably priced, and built like brick sh!thouse.

14. capto56

capto56 New Member

I've been doing research lately and have narrowed it down to these two, I believe. There's so many options. I'm looking for a mix between a cc and a trail gun. I don't plan on being in grizzly country and if I ever am, I won't be bringing a .357.

I like the sp for the size, wish it was 6 instead of 5. I understand that's where they save on size but j can still wish. So will the sp handle hot loads like the gp can?

And is the gp concealable like the sp or is that the point of the sp?

I've yet to handle both and I imagine that will be the determining factor but until I get the chance I thought I'd throw the question out there.

15. danolator

danolator New Member

I have the SP101 and it is a great gun. I changed the grip after the first range session. That took care of the snappiness issue inherent with the inferior stock grip on the .357.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  16. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

I have both guns. The SP101 is 5 shots and the GP100 is 6. It really just depends on what you need it for. If you're wanting a home defense/trail gun I'd go with the GP100. If you're wanting a carry gun go with the SP101. Both are pretty heavy and even though the SP is only 5 shots, when you're shooting 357mags that's still plenty of firepower. Just carry a speed strip with you.

17. capto56

capto56 New Member

What's a speed strip? Sorry, new to revolvers. And I'm looking for a mix between a heavy hitting trail gun and a cc gun.

18. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

These are speed strips. Just a way to keep your extra rounds handy for reloading. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/24...ial-and-357-magnum-package-of-2-plastic-black
    Then there are speed loaders. A little more bulky, but easier to reload your revolver with. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/49...6-taurus-617-817-7-shot-38-special-357-magnum

19. aimtrue

aimtrue New Member

I have a 2.25" SP101 that I carry concealed in my right front pocket.

I have a 3" GP100 that I either carry on my right hip under a jacket concealed or to use for recreational shooting.

I have a 4" GP100 that I carry on my hip when I walk the desert or use for recreational shooting.

[​IMG]

All are well-built, sturdy, reliable, accurate and load powerful .357 magnums as well as .30 special and .38 special +P.

I personally hold that the powerful .357 magnum loads are hard on my hands when shooting them from the 2.25" SP101. These powerful loads are buffered quite well on both the GP100's.

20. capto56

capto56 New Member

Is the 3" gp that much larger that you can't conceal it as easily? I can't view your pic for some reason.