GP100 opinions.

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Flatman6, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Flatman6

Flatman6 New Member

Thinking about picking one up tomorrow. Anyone own one and would like to share your thoughts? Also, is the current firearm craziness affecting the price of revolvers?

2. vincent

vincent New Member

Get it, you'll love it. It's the workin' man's Python...(or was that the Trooper, I forget...:eek: )

You'll be hard pressed to find anyone with something bad to say about the GP...

Not sure about the prices, what are they asking?

IIRC $550 was the going rate a couple of years ago...(last time I checked...)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013

3. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

From what I have read they are great, just keep it clean, as you should do with all your guns.

$550 to $590 is about standard I think, may be wrong...

4. fupuk

fupuk New Member

My Gp100 is probally the best firearm ive bought in the last year. Its kinda big to carry (but ive done it and still do sometimes) never had any major problems with mine. Only one self inflicted problem that was an easy fix. The only thing I didnt like about mine was the black front post for the sight. A little bit of bright green nail polish and it was 100 times better for me. I bought mine October 2011 and I paid a little under $600. Mine is the four inch barrel.

Attached Files:

5. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Im actually looking to add another Ruger wheel gun to my fleet. 44mag of pure enjoyment.

Attached Files:

6. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

A GP100 was my very first gun and I will never part with it. It is a workhorse and a great home defense caliber. That is the one gun that is always loaded and in a safe next to my bed. I think it's big, it's heavy, it has a long trigger pull but it is a wonderful gun that will never let you down. I have never had a single glitch with this gun while shooting it. I believe I paid right around $550 for mine in July 2010. Mine is stainless steel with a 6" barrel.

7. williamtyne

williamtyne New Member

Ive owned two GP100s over the last several years, like the knucklehead I can be sometimes, I traded them in on pistols that I thought were "sexier" at that present time. I regret trading both of them and when I get time, Ill pick another one up.
    Go get one, and shoot it, you wont ever regret spending the money on it.

8. Donn

Donn Active Member

Was at the LGS yesterday, show cases were pretty much empty except for high end auto pistols, (HK, Kimber), and revolvers. The mad rush hasn't really affected revolvers,,,, yet. That could all change in a heartbeat. Get it before you need a second mortgage on the house to pay for it. A good revolver like the GP will serve you as long as you need it to, then it'll serve your kids.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  9. mcb

mcb New Member

It's built like a tank. You can't go wrong with a Ruger revolver.

10. northhike

northhike New Member

Like Williamtyne posted above I owned one and sold it and now regret it. Its on my short list to purchase back again and this time its staying put. Best trail gun I have ever owned.

11. jcd390

jcd390 New Member

I absolutely love my gp100 and wouldn't trade it for the world. I have had several friends go out and buy one after shooting mine. They are in my opinion one of the best and well made revolvers on the market, a pure work horse! If u get one u will not be disappointed. Good luck and keep us posted should u buy one.

12. Flatman6

Flatman6 New Member

Thanks for all of the input. I've been looking around and I found a used 6" stainless model for five hundred out the door. Good deal or should I just go out and buy a new one?

13. orangello

orangello New Member

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  14. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I have a 6" ss model, I love it. That one you have found for 500 used wouldn't be too bad of a deal as long as it is in like new condition. Also the new ones come with the Houge Monogrip which I prefer to the older GP100 grip with the wood in the center. I got mine for less than 600 new I don't remember the exact price but that was a year ago.

15. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I own 3 Gp100's. 3 inch in SS, 4 inch in SS (my fave) and 6 inch blued (classic look w/ walnut grips)

Best handguns i have ever owned.
    Outshoot at 12 yds what my glocks can do at 8.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

At the the gun show last week they were running $575 new with some wiggle room. Used were about $500.

17. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Good quality multi purpose tools, built like tanks.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

well i had looked at a GP100 with a 4" barrel that had been sitting on the shelf at my LGS for over six months. just about every time i went in i had to look at it an hold it. well i just kept being drawn to it, os i ended up putting it on layaway. just a really comfortable pistol to hold. i have ownd many Rugers in the past and still do, so i know i won't be disappointed in it's quality or function.

19. Flatman6

Flatman6 New Member

So I went and tried to buy it. The gun is in amazing condition. Almost looks brand new. The only concern I had was that upon looking up the serial number, I found that it was manufactured in 1996. Is this something to worry about? Anyway, I talked him down to 470 out the door and went ahead with the purchase. Only to have a hold placed when he ran my nics!!! This has never happened to me and it has me concerned. MAD!

20. rsfrid

rsfrid New Member

And just to add to the discussion, the GP100 is easy to mod.

[​IMG]