GP100 First Impression

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by spittinfire, Mar 16, 2011.

1. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Most of you know that I picked up a GP100 last week from a local guy. It was absolutely filthy when I got it as you can see here but it didn't appear to have been shot much and the price was right. I decided to take it with me to the range this past Sunday prior to cleaning it and run it thru the paces. I don't usually do this but I really wanted to shoot this thing.

DSC_0250.jpg

As soon as I picked it up I noticed how heavy it was. It is considerably heavier then my model 19. Even with the extra weight I found it to be well balanced and easy to point. The factory grips felt nice in my hand and were easy to hold on to.

I decided to start the day with 38s just to get a little bit of a feel for it and had a half box of 125gr +p WWB. They felt like Stingers out of my dad's single six! After I ran thru them I decided to get to something with a little more punch....158gr 357s at 1250 f/s. These were a joy to shoot and I actually finished the time out with them. I could shoot these or some of my hot handloads all day long with no problem. My current favorite is 158gr slug over 16.4gr of H110.

At this point I was very happy with the gun. It was accurate, easy to shoot and just plain fun. In DA the trigger is heavy but not horrible. A set of Wolfe springs would greatly help it there. In SA the trigger was very nice. There was no creep, it broke clean and consistant but was a touch heavier then I like. Springs would help this as well but I think I'm going to try a very light polish first before I order springs.

Monday I decided it was time to really clean it. I disassembled the gun to find a gun that had never been taken apart and showed no wear whatsoever. I also found some extremely poor machining which was a big disappointment after the high was riding from shooting it. Everything was very coarse, there were burrs and machining flowers(metal shavings that are barley hanging on) on several edges. I started looking at the barrel and forcing cone only to find the same coarseness which was again disappointing. I'm sorry I didn't have my camera to take pictures of this and I already deburred everything.

I'm still happy with the purchase since I've now got a good gun that will happily eat the hot loads I like to work up and I can possibly hunt with it later this year. I can also see this becoming a good all around woods gun for when I'm hiking, getting firewood or checking tree stands. Even though I was disappointed by the machine work the function of the gun was fantastic and the fit/finish is very nice. The factory grips help control recoil and fit me well but I can see a new set in the future. If you are in the market for a good DA/SA revolver I don't think you can go wrong with the GP100, especially for the price.

Sorry, I don't have any targets. I must have thrown them away by mistake. I'll get some next time.

I think it cleaned up nicely.

DSC_0253.jpg

DSC_0256.jpg

DSC_0258.jpg

2. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

That is the EXACT revolver that I want! Nice job!

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

The GP100's can be a little crude sometimes. As much as I've loved mine, (I've had four) I prefer the Security Six over the GP series for smoothness and finish.

4. jismail

jismail Member

I had one too and although it felt very nice in my hand, I opted to trade it away since I had a S&W 681 which I felt was a superior weapon in all ways and shot much more consistent for me. Regardless, it is a nice weapon for the price.

5. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Nice add spitty. I've got to get one of those too.