Gp100 carry gun?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by cAs58, Dec 31, 2013.

1. cAs58

cAs58 New Member

I was thinking of maybe buying a gp100 as a carry gun. Good idea or no? And if yes what size barrel is reccomended. I want something that i can take to the range and still have fun shooting but still some what comfortably carry. Thanks

2. JW357

JW357 New Member

Big ole gun. If you're comfortable with the weight of it I say go for it. Suspenders are a good idea and a good holster and a great belt are musts.

In terms of bbl length I would advise a 3" bbl if you can find one. IMO that will still be comfortable to shoot at the range, given that the 3" model weighs 36 ounces empty.

Welcome to the forum, by the way. If you plan on sticking around please swing by the Introduction area and tell us a bit about yourself.

3. cAs58

cAs58 New Member

Thank you very much

4. JW357

JW357 New Member

No problem. Also I would advise to take a look at the S&W 686p as well. Comparable size, weight, and quality, and with the "p" version you get 7 rounds in the cylinder, instead of six.

5. cAs58

cAs58 New Member

Is that about the same price? I have about 500

6. JW357

JW357 New Member

They're similarly priced. Your best bet will be looking on the used market. Or saving up another two hundred or so for a new one (either).

7. austin92

austin92 New Member

I carry my 4" from time to time. Feel like snubbies are no fun on the range and 6" is no fun to carry but 4 is the happy medium

8. cAs58

cAs58 New Member

Thats what im lookin for thank you!

9. austin92

austin92 New Member

Just how I've always stood with revolvers. I bought a 4" for my first wheel gun because it's kind of the "do all" length. Eventually I'll own a 6-8" as a specific range toy and I'm sure I'll end up buying a 2 3/8 5 shot to conceal but for now I love my 4" gp100 for a multi purpose. Perfect compromise in barrel length :)

10. cAs58

cAs58 New Member

Thank you very much!

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

As others said a 4" is a good "Jack of all trades" barrel length. It would make a good gun for range and open carry, or outside the waistband carry. Still concealable as long as you're not small statured and living in a hot climate.

A 6" would be possibly better for range, hunting, and home defense, where concealment isn't a concern.

And a 3" or 2" would be better for concealment, but with revolvers, the cylinder width is more of an issue. A SP 101 from Ruger may be easier as a dedicated carry gun, but weight is still pretty high and can still present challenges in light, warm weather clothes.

Just some other considerations if you were leaning more toward one role as a priority. Otherwise 4" is really the "just right" that Goldie Locks would have picked. New GP 100s in my area are running close to $700. They are solid guns so holding out for a used one may be a better bargain.

12. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

An SP101 is much easier to carry. They are both in the same price range. If you think a GP100 is a good carry pistol conceal a brick for a couple days. If carrying the brick is comfortable get a GP100.

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

choice of holster will make a huge difference. also depends on whether it's going to be concealed carry or open carry.

personally i would not go over a 4" barrel for daily carry. a 4' barreled revolver is what i think a happy medium for a revolver.

14. SSGN_Doc

Well, he came out and said it. They are heavy. I had a SP101 that I traded off because it was even somewhat heavy for carry back when I weighed 130 lbs and lived in a desert. Clothing, build, and carry method make a big difference. Now that I'm 180 lbs and live in the Pacific North West, my build and wardrobe give me a bit more versatility. An extra 20 years of shooting experience and collecting, gave me other options as well, and my preferences changed toward autos for carry. Flat sides and faster followups and reloads along with polymer frames won out for me. Plus all of my required shooting for the navy has been with autos. I still like a good revolver for target shooting, teaching new shooters, and general outdoor activities, and think a 4" .357 is kind of a "Jeep" of guns in that role. So, I'm looking for a GP100 or a 4" Smith and Wesson again for those roles. But I will probably not use it for CCW. Open Woods carry, sure.

15. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I own several GP100's in barrels form 3 to 6 inch.

For open carry a GP100 4 inch is almost unbeatable, a 6 inch is to slow for my taste out of the holster.
    If you consider concealed a GP100 in 3 inch is the largest handgun that in my mind can still be realistically concealed carry assuming a good holster.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  16. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have no problem carrying a S&W model 10 with a 4" barrel in my pocket. The model 10 is not an EDC. But the school of thought that a 3" is all you can carry is a bit flawed. I am not comfortable with it but I have carried a Dan Wesson 15-2 with a 10" barrel just for kicks.

In the woods I want a 6" barrel. If you wait for a 4 legged threat to get in range of a short barrel you might be supper. I am no great shot with a pistol but I can hit a pizza box every time at 100 yards with a 6" barrel. I can't do the same with a 4" barrel. Most animals that are a threat to humans can run 35 mph. If you wait until the animal is 25 yards away to start shooting it's much to late.

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

are you making the assumption that a 4" barreled revolver is less accurate than the 6" barreled revolver?

18. SSGN_Doc

The longer sight radius does add a bit of ease to precision. But mechanical accuracy potential shouldn't be any worse.

19. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

Very solid gun but certainly not small or lightweight. I considered a SP101 with a 3" barrel but decided against it due to the thickness of the cylinder...about 1.3". I have an S&W M&P .40 full size that is lighter and narrower so I will probably make that due for now.

I wouldn't go more than 4" max with a gun like that.

http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100/models.html

I did manage to find these specs:

SP101

Range Evaluation: Ruger SP101 with 3 1/16″ Barrel

Revolvers continue to be popular in the age of the autoloader and one that seems to garner good reports far and wide is the Ruger SP101. It is currently offered in .22, .32 Magnum, .38 Special, as well as .357 Magnum. Barrel lengths run from 2 1/4″ to 4″ and the revolver is available with fixed or adjustable sights. The one I purchased was in .357 Magnum with the 3 1/16″ barrel and fixed sights.

The .357 Magnum chambering is probably the most common and I suspect that it is sold more often than not in the 2 1/4″ barrel length with fixed sights. Of course, .38 Specials can be fired in the .357 guns. These little magnums are five-shooters rather than six and the swing-out cylinder is used. As the gun comes from the factory, stocks are of rubber with plastic inserts snapped in and retained by the grip screw.

The SP101 is a bit smaller than the S&W K-frame but beefier than the same company’s compact J-frame, some models of which can be had in .357 Magnum.

Specifications:

Weight: 27 ounces
    Length: 8″ (with 3 1/16″ bbl)
    Height: 4.5″
    Cylinder Width: 1.349″
    Frame Width at Barrel: 0.774″
    Top Strap Width: 0.602″
    Top Strap Thickness: 0.204″
    Trigger: smooth
    Action: Conventional double/single action revolver
    Cylinder Rotation: counterclockwise
    Sights: Fixed or adjustable (front sight pinned to bbl)
    Twist: 1:18 3/4″ (.38/. 357)
    Safety: Internal transfer bar allows for firing only when the trigger is pressed all the way rearward. The revolver is safe to carry fully loaded.

===

GP100

Weight 37 oz.
    Barrel Length 3.07"
    Trigger Pull SA 4.4 lbs.
    Trigger Pull DA 8.4 lbs.
    Cylinder Length 1.61"
    Cylinder Diameter 1.55"
    Chambers 6
    Overall Length 8.5"
    Overall Height 5.57"
    Barrel/Cylinder Gap 0.005"
    Ammunition 357 Magnum / 38 Special

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  20. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Yes, I am making that assumption. If it was just as easy to hit a target with a short barrel target shooters would just use a 4" barrel. They wouldn't bother with the longest barrel the rules allow. If you are claiming you can hit a target at 100 yards with a 4" barrel just as well as a 6" barrel I have to see it to believe it.