GP100 Bobbed Hammer

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by joken, Mar 21, 2013.

1. joken

joken New Member

I did some trading recently and now have this rig. It's a C.A.I. import that was originally sold to a police department somewhere outside the USA.
    Something different you guys might find interesting.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Was the hammer filed down or was it made like that?

3. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

4. orangello

orangello New Member

WOC, I think a lot of copshops liked the bobbed hammer as it rendered the revolver double-action only and simpler for the new people. A lot of the S&W's you see as police trade-ins are similarly bobbed.

The half underlug is different from mine.

5. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Not the best bob job but still a nice gun :)

6. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

There used to be a DOA only 1980's GP100 that was exported to France for French gendarmerie.
    Then when they switched to SIG's century reimported them into the US for sale here..

The hammer was not just filed down , you actually couldnt set it on single action.
    The frame also was every so slightly lighter than a current production GP100.

I used to own of these before I (legally) gifted it to a friend.

Nice gun.

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

That looks like a Speed Six not a GP100.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

Barrel looks to read GP100?

9. JTJ

The GP100 has a full lug and adjustable sights. The Security Six has the short lug with adjustable sights. The Speed Six has the short lug and fixed sights similar to the SP101. Some came with bobbed hammers and were they were chambered in both 357 and 38 spl.

10. winds-of-change

Yes, mine is full lug, too.

11. joken

joken New Member

Gun was built to spec for a police dept somewhere. DAO, bobbed and fixed sights. The hammer is checkered on it's short flat top. I'm hoping CAI will respond to my email and tell me where it came from. My research says it might be South America somewhere or Canada, not that it matters much, but it would be nice to know. I got the cop holster with it too and have the original grips. I'm not well versed in S&W. Ken

12. JTJ

What are the 1st 3 numbers of the serial number?

13. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Saw one just like you describe on armslist not long ago,I REEEAAAALLY was into the way it looked. very unique,not sure how practical a bobbed hammer would have really been with a full size revolver though.

14. joken

joken New Member

The first three are 171. Thanks

15. JTJ

The Security and Speed Six were built from 1972 to 1988 with the last sequence 162-xxxxxx. It looks like you have a possible custom order GP built in 1989. Could also be a resurected Speed Six using the GP numbers and markings. Interesting item.
    http://ruger.com/service/productHistory/RE-GP100.html

16. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

It's a GP100.
    Like i said in the earlier post the frame is a bit slimmer than on the current GP100's
    I have owned this gun as DAO.
    The fixed sights are neat too.
    The slightly slimmer frame gives it that "Six" flavor but its a GP.

The one i had I traced by serial to French Gendarmerie.
    if it has a reimport stamp ( like I think the OP said) it is likely one of those.

17. joken

joken New Member

I appreciate all the help here. It's interesting reading all the opinions. I haven't shot it yet and haven't decided whether to keep it or not yet. Ken

18. joken

joken New Member

I just listed this rig on Gunbroker if anyone wants it. Ken

19. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Just curious, outside of CA legal BS, why would you want a DAO full size revolver ?

I seem to recall people filing down hammers a long time ago on snubbies to prevent snagging from pocket carry. (Fritz - exhibition shooter - may have had something to do w it) I believe there was some initial problems w light primer strikers on SW. Any old timers recall this ?

20. winds-of-change

Please help educate me. What is wrong with a full size DAO revolver? :confused: