Got to shoot two S&W 9mm handguns today

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by 9mmgun, Apr 3, 2011.

1. 9mmgun

9mmgun New Member

My local range had a open house this weekend. A rep from S&W was there with a decent assortment of their handguns for demo firing.

My 1st pick was the 1911 pro series 9mm. - Excellent trigger, balance, ergonomics with an extremely low recoil. Action was smooth as silk. Of course with a street price of $1200+ it should be outstanding. Value for that price, that's a tough call for me. Would I own one If I had unlimited funds, probably, but just being a poor working stiff, doubtful.

My 2nd pick was M&P 9. - Was not that impressed. (I'm not comparing it to the above) Trigger was average, sights were hard for me to focus in on. Highest felt recoil of any 9MM I have ever fired. Good ergonomics. It felt a little heavier than I thought it would be. Compared to other 9mm's that I've shot in it's price range, I would say it's a slightly above average value at around $500.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  2. wb_carpenter

wb_carpenter New Member

What 9mm handguns have you shot?

Which M&P was it the compact or full size?

3. 9mmgun

9mmgun New Member

It was the full size.
    There was a woman that fired the M&P just before me, as I watched her I noticed that after the shot the recoil sent her arms up pretty high & she definitely looked like she knew what she was doing. After my 1st shot I said to myself damn that's a heck of a kick.

9mm's fired within the last year;

S&W 952-1, 952-2 , 59 (owned) & 5906
    CZ 75B (owned) , CZ SPO1 , CZ PO1
    Beretta 92fs (owned), PX4
    Stoeger 8000 (owned)
    FN FNP9
    Ruger P89
    SIG P226

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  4. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Sounds like a great day!! So, when are you picking up the 1911?

5. 9mmgun

9mmgun New Member

Little to rich for my blood, but if I hit the Lotto for a grand or so, I would have no problem owning that most excellent handgun.

6. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Meh...1911's are meant to be .45ACP.:D

7. wb_carpenter

wb_carpenter New Member

Maybe it was because the M&P full size is usually a 4" barrel(they do have 5" versions). I cant really tell the difference between my full size nines(M&P included).

8. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

True, but if a 9mm has too much recoil a 45 would probably break a wrist.