Got to play hunter tonight

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Defiant_one, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Defiant_one

Defiant_one New Member

No joy though...sigh. Open season on a field rat (hate em)

We have a bird feeder and a squirrel feeder out back. Never had a problem, just one time last year. Sort of the reason I bought a Marlin 60 .22

It has a really nice 9X scope on it sighted it for 25 yards which is exactly what I wanted it for.

So wife and I are on the back deck watching a baby bunny. Across the grass shoots this big rat, flies up the tree and into the feeder. Now the feeder is a wood box with a big glass jar on the front so you can see them eat. If I am willing to sacrifice the jar, this rat is toast.

No...wife wont let me shoot the jar. So I have to wait and get him through the side hole as he exits. And wait. And wait. 3 times he poked his head to see if all was okay. I was patient, didn't take the shot because in a blink, he was back to the jar...I wanted him checking his exit and on the way out.

and wait and wait. 30 minutes resting on the rail. So he scoots out the BACK hole and no shot.

Oh well, no rat head to hang over the mantle...THIS TIME.

:D

2. artbrownsr

artbrownsr Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

maybe for the best, maybe a partner the next time!

3. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

All for the best. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to taxidermy that teeny, tiny rat head! Besides, unless you have a rodent head collection over the mantle, it would look out of place next to the skunk you got last year. :p

4. Defiant_one

Defiant_one New Member

Be very very quiet

I'm huntin wat !

[​IMG]

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

maybe the next one will be a trophy rat!:p

6. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Just think of the possibilities, once you begin serious collecting!

Attached Files:

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

The bad thing about rats is that if you see one, there are probably several more.

We have a bird feeder as well and after several months I watched a rat come out of the blackberry bushes and start eating spilled seed. Sniped that one with my pellet rifle. I figured that should fix the problem. Next evening around sunset another rat can creeping out. One shot, one kill. I'm up to 7 killed now. Could get rid of the feeder and I'm sure the rats would go find another source if food. Right now they stay away from the house and provide random target practice.

8. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

If you have rats or mice, then you need a cat.

If you need a cat, it is best to get a kitten and raise it yourself.

Cats kill everything that moves, not just rats and mice.

They kill insects, birds, chipmunks, ducklings and they even drive off skunks and unwanted flea bag feral cats too.

Attached Files:

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

And if you get tired of them they cook up pretty nice too.

Just kidding. It can be a decent choice if you like cats and aren't allergic. Small terriers are pretty good for rats if you aren't a cat person. Or a good Corn or king snake works too. King snakes can keep away some of the other venomous snakes as well. But if the snake finishes off the rats you may not need bird or squirrel feeders for much longer.

10. Salvo

Salvo New Member

I like the pellet rifle idea best.

11. Defiant_one

Defiant_one New Member

Me too

We have a cat - Indoors. Don't want to kill any other wildlife - just the rat

Cat does taste good but a bit stringy (just kidding)

LOVE the pictures of the trophy rats Eatmydust !

Funny, not much difference between a rat and a squirrel - Enjoy the squirrels - have a deep hatred for rats.

As to the snake, YIKES> Then I would have to shoot the snake after it ate the rats...LOL

12. BigB

BigB New Member

My Pomeranian is a better mouser than either of my cats.

13. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Cairn Terriers were bred to hunt rats in the cairns of Scotland. They run over rough, rocky terrain and dig them out and chase them. Very useful breed for ratting.

In California, we actually had Norwegian wharf rats in our barn. These things are scarey! They're as big as a small cat, and when you turn the lights on, rather than scurry, they look at you like, "What in the ---- are you doing?" My cat would kill them, but they were so big he couldn't eat the whole thing and wasn't hungry enough to kill all of them. Traps and glue boards were quite useless with these monsters. Out came the Ruger 10/22 to handle the overflow. The first one I shot ran, but wasn't killed outright! Even scarier, the rest just watched him and looked at me like, "You're really starting to annoy us." After two or three nights, the population had decreased enough that they were finally getting scared of the sight of me, but I've never seen a nastier rat I my life.

From Victorpest.com:
    NORWAY RAT

Other Names: Brown Rat, Gray Rat, Common Rat, House Rat, Wharf Rat, Water Rat, Barn Rat, Sewer Rat, Super Rat

These "super rats" can reach 16" in length. Each female rat can give birth to 20 pups in her lifetime. Some factors affecting rat populations in cities include continuously mild winters, weather-related disasters, and encroachment of their habitats by new urban development.

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have seen some big barn rats at times. yes, some of them can get quite large!

when i lived at home, the gun of choice to rid the barn of rats getting into the livestock feed was Dad's 9 shot 22 H-R revolver he inherited from his father, that was loaded with shotshells. killed the rats without tearing up or putting holes in the walls of the barn.

15. Salvo

Salvo New Member

I was once invited to shoot rats inhabiting an empty grain silo, and was given a semi-automatic .22 rifle loaded with blue-tipped CCI shot loads. There were hundreds of them running around in there.

I soon learned that the trick was to track a running rat with the rifle. They would run and pause, and the pause was when you touched off a round.

There were so many rats that after I ran out of ammo, at least 80% of them were still running around. I imagine that evening they were well-fed, I left close to 50 dead rats in there as I only missed a couple of times.

The rats that you see are generally only the tip of the iceberg. In most situations, poison is really most effective, often it is the only thing that really is... Note that poison must be placed where the rats can get to it - but your pets and children cannot.

They will become thirsty before checking out. Leave a pan of water in the area where you want them to go. Soon after drinking the water, that's it for mister rat.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014