Got Sword?

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by Benning Boy, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Anyone here collect or train with swords? Anyone do any backyard cutting? I can probably already guess one.

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I studied a little Kendo on two seperate occassions and always fancied myself as being able to handle a sword correctly.

I would probably get my ass cut in two by your basic 6 KYU though... LOL

I have my eye on getting a full sized katana blade from these guys before my weapons collection could ever be considered "complete".

It's WAY down the list, but it is on there...LOL

3. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Somehow, I knew, if anyone, it would be Mr.D.:)

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I love me some weapons and martial combat - what can I say?

However, I used to get my ass kicked in Kendo, and my feet used to get blisters the size of quarters, so I stopped because I was a wuss who had a day job... LOL

I found out training MMA I don't like getting punched in the face either. A lot guys seem to enjoy it - but not me. I prefer submissions, which is why I only roll now, I don't do stand up anymore. That's a young mans game...

On a side note Benning, have you seen "The Hunted" with Christopher Lambert? Great sword scene on the bullet train. Really well done.

JD

5. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Yep, classic bullet train sequence, til he breaks the sword rather than surrender it. Wanted to cry.:(

6. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Bought mine here http://www.lastlegend.com/ it is older, a Tsunami; that is no longer in manufacture. Very nice blade, much like their Mikusa.

[​IMG]

So, some Judo, Kenpo and Iaido...just enough over 20 years to be a hazard to myself. Great fun!!!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  7. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Thanks for the link, Dunerunner, going shopping.:D

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

LOL - No truer words my friend - no truer words....

9. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

So I take it you guys haven't figured out how to generate fireballs from your hands yet?:eek:

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I always wanted to have that Phantom Kick that Johnny Cage had to be honest....:rolleyes:

11. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

LOL Scorpion "Get over here!":mad:

12. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

That's a group I hadn't come across in my search for the katana/wakizashi/tanto set that I want to purchase. I did find this company and they seem to somewhat follow the forging techniques of olden times (Bugei Trading Co | Forging Process). Expensive, yes, but I am more than willing to pay for quality over quantity any day.

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Bugei Trading is a good company and they make a good sword.

The thing I like about Dynasty Forge is that they use the traditional black sand and form a real Tamahagane blade, several of which don't make the final "cut" and are rejected outright. As this is an expensive process, I find that really impressive in this day and age.

Nothing wrong with Bugei Trading though, they make some quality stuff that will definitely take a limb off a Space Zombie. :D

JD

JD

14. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Hey he was a freekin badazz anyone who can shoot man eating barbed snakes out of his hands is someone I ain't gonna mess with no way no how.

15. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Green belt stuff in my school.:D

Bugei and Mantis were the first companies I came across in my searches, I like that you can customize the lengths, and Swedish powder steel sounds cool.

Cold Steel Katanas have a rep for handling like a crowbar, but cutting like a lightsaber.

I will attest to their machetes.:(

16. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

I like the idea of traditional sword making so now I've got at least 2 different places to compare and look at what I really want in my set.

17. HunterMarksman338

HunterMarksman338 New Member

Speaking of Cold Steel, I just order their training DVD "Fighting with the Saber & Cutlass". I love european style swords. I also plan on buying their 1917 Cutless when I have the saved money on the side.

18. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Anyone know anything about WWII German officer swords?

1_1swd.JPG

1_1swd2.JPG

1_1cutlas.JPG

1_1ssswd.JPG

1_1SS.JPG

19. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Ok not a sword but close. I just got one of these for $15 on ebay.

Kukri Machetes : Fixed Blade (Cold Steel Knives)

I tried to save some money and get one from walmart that thing was so dull it wouldn't cut live bamboo. So I invested in a proper one from a good company. STUPID I will buy the good one first next time.

20. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Cane, any markings besides the SS on the pommel?

Tango, you will need to sharpen the Kukri, but it will hold the edge for some time.