Got rearended

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Airborne1, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Airborne1

Airborne1 Member

Yesterday afternoon The wife and I were on our way home from an errand. We were just 2 blocks from the house waiting to make a left when I heard squealing tires, I took my foot off the brake and looked around then "POW"
    We got clobbered from behind.

I think the other guy's truck got the worst of it.

Attached Files:

2. Point6liter

Point6liter New Member

Well you may very well be getting a new vehicle out of it. Hope you both are alright. My neck is hurting just reading this

3. Airborne1

Airborne1 Member

I appreciate your well wishes, and we both seem to be good to go this morning.
    I do not think we will get another vehicle out of it though. Usually Insurance just pays the blue book value if it is totaled. I did get the gap insurance to make sure that I will not owe anything over and above what the insurance co will cover.

Hopefully the insurance company doesn't total it, if they do I will not get another, it will only get paid for.

4. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Damage to the truck is all bolt on stuff...yours got the worst of it....:(

5. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Wishing you well. Not fun at all, we are picked at random to go through this. If his insurance pays for the restoration, that should include your rental til it's done.

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Sometimes it takes a few days for neck and back injuries to show up so dont be too hasty in signing off. An important insurance item to carry is uninsured under insured coverage just in case the people that hit you dont have proper insurance. Saved us a lot of money a couple times when we got hit by an uninsured driver and a hit and run. Both in the People's Republik of Kalifonistan. What you are required to carry insurance? Was that written in Spanish?

7. Airborne1

Airborne1 Member

I have full coverage including uninsured motorist insurance. I called their insurance co. awhile ago and gave them all the info, they said I should hear from one of their claims adjusters within 48 business hours.

On a side note
    No, it was in englishastan...........:D

8. Mercator

Mercator New Member

I was T boned by a person from where people save a lot of money but never learn to drive. (Kind of like us in reverse). Anyway, the car came out of the shop like it never happened. Body panels, headlight, and suspension, all 7K+. Took a month.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  9. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Airborne~

Can we say Cell Phone probably???? Obvioulsy he was not paying attention to what he was doing. If any issue pops up have your insurance company supoena his cell records. Hope you and your wife are in fact OK! I am sure you already know but,
    Do not sign anything until you give it enough time to know without a doubt you guys are OK. That is something they try to do to lesson the their liability. Also if they do not total it have the frame checked.

10. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

Doesn't look bad enough to have bent the frame. Most of the newer cars just crumple, making the damage look a lot worse than it really is.

Glad to hear you're okay!

11. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Hate to say it, but Cindy is right. The truck's air bag never deployed, and , at most they will have to check to make sure the frame is straight then bolt on new panels. You are looking at replacing panels that are welded on, and a frame check as part of the estimate.

Glad to hear you both are feeling alright, hope it stays that way.

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

first of all, Airborne, glad you and the Mrs. are alright. property is material and can be replaced, but people can't be. as mentioned, it can take a couple of days or even weeks for damage to show up from being rearended.

yes, Cindy is correct. the truck has mostly bolted on panels and such and if the airbag wasn't deployed, should be cheaper and easier to fix than your Jeep. another point is your Jeep also has a unibody construction and doesn't have a seperate frame. and all the panels on your Jeep are welded on with the exception of the liftgate. it will more than likely need to go on a frame machine just to measure it and to repair the areas for panel replacement along with repairs for the bumper area.

13. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

The most important thing is that you and your wife are ok ! Maybe it's time to look for that new thing you've been dreaming about ?

I hope you are both ok , prayers sent and I'm not a church going sort just care is all !:)

14. Airborne1

Airborne1 Member

I don't think his airbag was functional, or it was old enough to not have one.
    His F150 was a 98 model.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  15. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Glad you two are ok.

Something the insurance does not pay for is the de-value because the vehicle has been wrecked. When you go to sell and a Carfax is run, the value will drop because it has been in wreck. Yep! it do

16. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

98 f150 has both driver and passenger air bags. Passenger bags became standard in 97, driver side I believe started in 94.

It takes a big collision to set off a airbag. My dad was rear ended a few weeks ago in his Miata. The ladies car had damage similar to the trucks, but no airbags deployed. If they do deploy, you can pretty much kiss that car goodbye. Those bags cost over a grand each!

17. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

He might be able to receive compensation for that. Depends on the insurance company, but its definitely worth it to ask. My dad is in the process of that now.

18. Airborne1

Airborne1 Member

Update

I got a call from the insurance company of the person that hit us the other day. They told me that the insurance had not been paid since the first payment a month earlier, and had been canceled.

19. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

OH, MAN!!! That's terrible.

20. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Glad that you are okay.
    Set up for claims court, or have the docs to let your insurance company go to court.

(But the title "Got Rearended" had me wondering if I wanted to look at this thread. I am a voyeur for some things, but others things I want to avoid.)