Got my first gun! Remington 597

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by beastmode986, Mar 17, 2013.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

I just got a Remington 597 today! Saw it on armslist for 250$ It came with a nice scope, 5 10 round magazines, 1 30 round magazine(The follower sticks, anyone know how to fix it?) and 300 rounds of .22lr. It feels great. The guy also threw in some weaver rails, just need to buy a red dot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Awesome man!! Not a bad deal for all that you got.

3. theprophetofpwn

theprophetofpwn New Member

Easy gun.. good buy.
    Now for ammo. Here in vegas everyone is buying like crazy.

4. RUG3R44

RUG3R44 New Member

5. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

congrats, enjoy and be safe

6. 10Ringer

10Ringer New Member

Congrats in the new rifle! Stay safe and bring death to all beer cans! :D

7. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

Only the empty ones......:)

8. slickab

slickab New Member

Good luck. Had one a few years ago. After approx 300 rounds it became plagued

with hammer follow syndrome. Told the man about it, and he still gave me most

of my money back for it. It was the LSHB model.

9. MattShlock

MattShlock New Member

Did he say why he was selling it and how many rounds does it look like he put through it and did he say?

For the follower I would wipe the mag out as best you can with silcone spray.

10. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

I have one. Decent rifle. Probably has 300 rounds trough it. It is a little picky on ammo, but It loves federal bulk packs. Keep it clean and it will treat you well.

ForumRunner_20130324_213818.jpg

11. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Whats hammer follow syndrome? I am not sure but I think it went full autoo the first trigger pull lol I saw two shells fly out of the side of the gun when I pulled the trigger once. I dont know maybe i saw the person next to me shell come out at the same time as mine. The rest of the time it was great. And the we bought 150 rounds of .22lr at the gun store. (we wanted to leave some for other people.)

12. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Congrats on yer 1st (of many) gun!

Handle EVERY gun as if it is loaded until YOU have safety checked it!

As for the sticky follower, check the baseplate of the 30 rnd. mag., see if there is a small rnd. nipple in the middle of the plate that can be depressed with a pen/punch/small screwdriver. Push the nip. up and slide the baseplate slowly off of the mag., being careful not to allow the mag spring to come shooting out of the mag body.

Clean the inside of the mag, spring & follower. Check follower for rough edges, if any roughness is found, sand lightly until all edges are smooth. Lightly, very lightly, lube all parts, reassemble and test the mag out. If it still does not feed well, the spring may be shot or you may have damage to the mag body that interferes with proper feeding. Buy new mag or just use the other 5 and most of all, enjoy your time shooting SAFELY!!!

13. slickab

slickab New Member

Hammer follow is: load, chamber a round, fire, spent round is extracted and

ejected, bolt strips new round from magazine and feeds chamber, hammer

follows round to chamber and leaves small firing pin impression on new round,

coming dangerously close to initiating full auto burst. Rifle now has a round in

the chamber but the hammer is not cocked.

14. javelin225HO

javelin225HO New Member

Here is my 597 with archangel kit.

Attached Files:

15. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Looks bada$$. I might get one of those kits myself. Will they accept magpul furniture? (stock,pistol grip, etc.)

16. javelin225HO

javelin225HO New Member

I have the magpul grips on the bottom picatinny rail. The kit comes with everything you see expect the grips on one of the pictures and the 25round mag. It comes with a muzzle piece but my 597 was equipped with a scope instead of sights. The muzzle piece uses the front sight screw, which mine didn't have, so I bought a limbsaver sharpshooter x-ring. It looks better with that plus it helped the grouping.
    You can accesorizes it with anything that acpects picatinny rail mounts. The stock is adjustable.
    Bought the kit for $89 on sale from natchez back in Jan.

17. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

seems like a good deal to me