Got me a 17HMR Finally!!

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Triumphman, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

Finally got me a 17HMR. Been wanting one for ages, but couldn't decide which Manufacturer to go with. I looked over bolt actions from Savage, Marlin, Ruger, Remington. Decided on a Marlin 917VRX from the XT series. It gave me a blued action with floated bull barrel, synthetic stock with benchrest style forearm, and "Pro-fire" adjustable trigger for around $200. Felt it was best bang for buck for a fine rifle. Removed stock base scope mounts and "Loctited" the screws and threw on some Weaver steel "Grand Slam" scope rings with a BSA Sweet 17 scope. Now when weather calms down, she's going outside with me to see which ammo will group the best----CCI 17gr Speer TNT or CCI 20gr FMJ.
    Del

2. kaido

kaido New Member

Just because Moines asked yet and I'm on the curious side, you ever make it out to the range yet?

3. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

I made it out to range(back yard) to zero in scope, but scope didn't want to cooperate. It's a BSA Sweet 17, so I looked scope over after going through about 30 rounds and I came to conclusion that the lock screws on scope's turrets were't tight enough to let me adjust properly. My fault. Went inside to get allen key, but wind picked up strongly, so I called it a day. Last adjustment of scope, finally put me dead center of target at 25yds, and weather hasn't cooperated since to go back out and stretch the distance, to see what this little jewel can do. I think it's gonna even be better than my Savage mkII Axis 22lr with bull barrel, but I'll be able to reach out a little further with the 17hmr.
    Del

4. kaido

kaido New Member

Damn, that's a bummer.
    But at least you got to send some rounds down range with it?

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Del, congrats on your new rifle! i have the Savage in 17HMR and still enjoy shooting it. they are a bunch of fun

Kaido, a bad day of shooting, still beats a good day at work!

6. kaido

kaido New Member

Oh I know, it's why I usually try and get out as much as possible, even if only for an hours time. Haha