Got called paranoid today!

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by kenhesr, May 27, 2011.

1. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

So the wife's little sister and her boyfriend were at the house when I got home today. I'm taking my car tomorrow so I grabbed the AR from behind the pick-up seat. I got to thinking that I hadn't run an oil patch thru the bore in months and took it into the house with me.

I had just put my AR, main carry and back-up weapons on the table in my den when Mike, my probable future brother-in-law, came into the room. Now this guy has a CCW too and carries a SA 1911 Govt also. Thats why it surprised me when the first words out of his mouth were, "get'in kinda paranoid ain't ya pops".

[​IMG]

I really hadn't thought about it, most of the people I know carry a loaded rifle or shotgun behind their truck seat or in the trunk of their car. Mike doesn't and thought I was sort of over doing it. My CCW covers loaded long arms, exposed or concealed, it don't matter.

I don't think I'm paranoid - handguns are great, but I do get the warm fuzzies knowing I can lay my hands on 200 rds of 5.56 and a rifle in a hurry if needed. :)

So what ya think! Am I a sick puppy, (only about this topic please) or just well prepared. Anyone else use a rifle as part of their CCW weapons? Ken

2. freefall

freefall New Member

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you. ;) Sorry, just couldn't resist.

3. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

You don't do it

Attached Files:

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Hmm. On the one hand, paranoid. On the other, possibly dead. I'll take paranoid for the win.

5. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

VERY good point! Thanks, I'm feeling better already. :D

6. BlindOldMan

BlindOldMan New Member

"Condition White - Unaware and unprepared. If attacked in Condition White, the only thing that may save you is the inadequacy or ineptitude of your attacker. When confronted by something nasty, your reaction will probably be "Oh my God! This can't be happening to me."

"Condition Yellow - Relaxed alert. No specific threat situation. Your mindset is that "today could be the day I may have to defend myself". You are simply aware that the world is a potentially unfriendly place and that you are prepared to defend yourself, if necessary. You use your eyes and ears, and realize that "I may have to shoot today". You don't have to be armed in this state, but if you are armed you should be in Condition Yellow"

:)

7. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Of course we have the old standby: "Better to have and not need than to need and not have." ;)

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Different scenarios call for different firearms.

No paranoid, but (like a Boy Scount) prepared.

9. Wambli

Wambli Member

Bingo! You have to asses your personal conditions and situations you will likely encounter then make decisions on what is an appropriate level of response.

But in the end over-prepared is just fine...

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Heard the story about the old boy that was pulled over for a license check? Trooper asked "Do you have any firearms?" "Yep, there's a Colt 45 in the glove box, and a 12 g pump and a 30-06 behind the seat of the truck." "Dang! What are you afraid of?" "Not a damned thing."

My daughter once told a friend "My dad is not paranoid. He has no REASON to be paranoid. He has a gun."

11. jayguy

jayguy New Member

If I had a ar:( I wold do it to

12. Jake15

Jake15 New Member

I'm with C3 on this'un, and in the words of a well respected shooting instructor, "if you carry a firearm, people will call you paranoid, that's just stupid, if you have a gun what the hell do you have to be paranoid about!"

13. m72law

m72law New Member

paranoid?

not paranoid,just (alert):D

14. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I wonder how so many people have been lulled into such a false sense of security :confused:

I got into an argument with my sister and her husband last month after they told me that they wanted to take a trip to Mexico. I asked where, they said Acapulco. I asked if they had just heard in the news about the mass beheadings that occurred. They replied it doesn't happen in the resorts. WTF?!? :confused:

Why is that people automatically assume that the entire world is just like their cul de sac neighborhood? :confused:

Almost forgot ... you're paranoid! :p

15. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I agree with your comments about a trip to Mexico. I have never been there and have no desire. If they are going to a resort, then why not just enjoy a resort here in the good ole US of A?

As for paranoid, I don't think so. You are prepared and it's a personal decision as to what you carry.

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

"An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity."

"Your carry gun should be comforting, not comfortable."

Wisdom dispensed by Clint Smith, President and Director of Thunder Ranch.

17. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

Ha, I may have to use these.

Didn't Clint Smith also say, "A handgun is for fighting your way to your rifle which you shouldn't have put down in the first place"

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  18. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Seeing the direction that this country is heading in, I think it is a very good idea to have not only a CCW handgun, but also a long gun behind the seat, in the trunk, whatever. You never know when some nutcase is gonna snap.

I've really been thinking about keeping an AK in my trunk just in case.

I'd rather be called paranoid than dead.

19. levelcross

levelcross New Member

It is easier to get out of jail than out of the morgue, carry what you got. For me a G26 with a SP-101 .357 in a ankle rig and a tactical shotgun behind the seat of the truck. Paranoid I don't think so, prepared yes.

20. TelstaR

TelstaR New Member

sounds like he was just kidn with ya.