Got bored so I made a cannon

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by hiwall, Jul 20, 2013.

1. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Was bored Friday so when I spied a piece of brass in the scrap bin I thought I would make a cannon. It is a .50 caliber. I have not shot it yet but I will this week(I got a bunch of 50 cal balls and bullets). Wheels are about 6" so you can see the size. About 4 to 6 hours labor as this one is pretty plain.

Attached Files:

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

3. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

Very nice. Variety is the spice of life. (Marco Polo thought it was salt)

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

But is salt a spice, or a seasoning?

Freaking ADD...

5. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

We have made many different air cannons over the years and plan on making a black powder cannon but can't agree on the details sucha s what caliber. I would like to make it a .50, but we have a lot of .45/70 moulds and bulltes so that would be more practical. Then there is rifling. Don't have any way to produce that (yet) that means a smoothbore. I have a worn out barrel from a bench rest gun that I can bore out, but then there is the rest of it..

Damn. Loke Trip said. freaking ADD!

6. thatonespot

thatonespot New Member

Hiwall walks through the screen door of his back porch to hear his wife's melodic voice greet him. "Hi honey, how was work." "Terrible, i was bored and had to make a cannon, macguyver style." The missus shakes her head, "Honey that's awful, im sure tomorrow will be better, now, how about some ice cream?" Hiwall smiles, takes off his dusty coat, and sits down to a bowl of rocky road.

Very well done Hiwall, i was also bored and got creative :D
    If you don't mind my asking, what was the process, start to finish?

7. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Flavor enhancer.

8. JW357

JW357 New Member

Dude that things beautiful. Very nice. Be sure to post a range report!

9. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I have made several small cannons, the process is really simple. I have a lathe so turning down a piece of brass or steel is not a problem. Then you bore the hole size of your choice (this can be a rather slow process), I don't rifle them so all you do is drill. Adding the trunnion can be an issue. On this one I drilled two flat bottomed shallow holes and silver soldered brass pins in place. Then there is only the wood carriage and you are done.

10. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I like how you think get board make a cannon, usually when I get board I usually end up either under my truck or napping. lol