Got an A vs. B Thinker For Ya

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by ninjatoth, Jan 17, 2011.

1. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I just thought of something silly but wondering if there is an actual answer.Lets say two guys shoot at each other with pistols from 10 yards apart at the same time,guy A with a .45acp 230 grain@810 fps,guy B with a 9mm 115 grain@1,145fps and the bullets collide head on right in the middle.What bullet will win,the .45acp because it's bigger and heavier,or the 9mm because it's much faster?Both loads I describe will produce exactly 335 ft lbs of muzzle energy so will they both drop straight down in the middle because the actual energy is the same(figuring either load will not lose any energy over 5 yards)?Silly,but I want an answer!

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

The answer, to the question is 3! :D

My SWAG, they will discipate all energy equally, smash into little mushrooms fused together and fall to the ground.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

should send that idea to myth busters would leave to see those guys figure out how to do it.

4. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

They will fragment and go in all directions.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The ogives on the projectile noses may cause deflection to the side.

6. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I never thought about that,but I wonder,will the .45acp keep coming since it has more mass and is more likley to have at least some weight retention,or will the fragmentaion of the 9mm still stop the .45 slug because it has the same amount of energy.I guess it's like saying what if a 2,500lb sports car going 70mph crashes head on with a 5,000 lb pickup going 35mph or something like that,or is it that massXvelocity keep quadrupeling every double in velocity?I need to stop talking I think i'm getting dumber trying to figure it out,but there has to be an answer on the bullets hitting:confused:

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Tornadoes have put pieces of straw in telephone poles.
    A raw egg with enough velocity will shatter a glass window.

8. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Only this guy could tell you...

[​IMG]

BTW- Both bullets better be flat-nosed.

9. paul

paul New Member

9mm vs. .45acp

the outer circumference of the .45acp will continue since the 9mm will drill a perfect donut out of it, the two equal amounts of masses will fall directly to the ground while the "washer shape" mass left from the .45acp flings to the ground eventually.:D

10. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

IMHO, the 9mm would lose actually. Its my understanding that a 115 gr projectile will bleed off speed (and as a result energy) faster than the heavier .45 round.

This only works if we assume that they wont simply blow each other apart. It also assumes that both rounds will behave as they should and are not fired in some alternate universe where 10 feet doesn't make a difference regarding the rate at which they bleed off speed and energy (even if it is a minuscule amount).

If someone can correct me, please do. Its an interesting question at the least.

11. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Col. Mustard in the kitchen with a lead pipe. I think (And that is very rare) that the remainder of the .45 round will actually carry portions of the 9mm projectile on down the original line of the .45.

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

They will hit and due to the spin of the bullets going in opposite directions they will cause a vortex to form with the following data set. delta x over delta y * the cube of pi divided by in domains of the middle star in orion's belt to the 5th power.

thus causing a freak rupture in space time allowing our universe to bleed into an alternate one thus causing the implosion not only of earth but of our entire galaxy.

So I caution you from trying to do this.

13. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I would ask him but I think somehow at the end of the equation the answer will always be "1985"

14. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I wanna know how they meet in the middle when fired exactly at the same time and the velocities are different. The premise is flawed.

15. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

The answer is muzzle energy...the round with the bigger number wins...

16. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Right, velocity and weight. But they won't meet in the middle according to the premise. The faster one travels a greater distance, so how can you accurately account for velocity loss over distance travelled. Change the premise to same distance travelled and time out the firings of the rounds and compensate for energy lost due to drag.

I don't wanna make the op nuts over this, but if you wanna be scientific about it...

1. Formulate a hypothesis
    2. Run tests that will prove or disprove the hypothesis
    3. Record the datum
    4. Objectively report based on nothing but scientific data
    5. Proclaim proof of genius or idiocy
    6. Re-run tests because you just wanna
    7. Proclaim otherwise as to your prior claim of idiocy
    8. Manipulate the data to support your claim of genius
    9. Ignore claims of otherwise
    10. Enjoy only 1 term as the 44th POTUS

:D

17. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

To go with skullys thing. They would not meet in the middle

the 45acp would have traveled 12.3' and the 9mm would have traveled 17.7' (Aprox)

Energy of the 45acp at 4 yards is 333 ft lbs and the 9mm at 6 yards is 326ft lbs.

Not a whole lot of difference. but colliding they would have 659 ft lbs of energy. More than likely both bullets if they hit perfectly square nose to nose in a perfect walgreens world they would just explode with the 45acp winning over by maybe a little more but most of your shards are going to be sitting 12.3' from the 45 acp guy and 17.7' from then 9mm guy.

18. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

;)The guy who carries a .45acp is obviously more skilled than the guy who chooses a 9mm so obviously .45 guy will get the shot off first thus meeting the bullets in the exact middle.;)

19. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

The REAL question here is, who gets off the follow up shot faster? My money is on the fellow with the 9mm.

20. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Nah. It depends on the shooter, the weapon, and what tango is wearing.