Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup, the title says it all. I was given a Star .25 "Saturday night special". It was missing the safety, so I just stuck a bolt in its place. Despite its ungainly condition, it works great. Before you say somethin like "you should use it as a fishing weight" or "I wouldn't use one if it was free", it may be a cheap gun, but its pretty good for free.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Nothing wrong with that, enjoy it. Be careful with the safety issue though. Someone gave my dad a Mossberg Brownie and it was really fun to shoot too.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
I agree with you. If it was free and it is safe to shoot then knock it out. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I believe your "Star" is actually a "Gallus" manufactured by Retolaza Hermanos of Eibar, Spain in the early 1920's or a "Renard" made by Echave y Arizmendi of Eibar.

Star .25 ACP (6.35mm) pistols generally had an open top slide and exposed hammers.

Is there any information stamped on the left side of the slide?

The safety should be relatively easy to make.

No matter the parentage, the price was right.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
twoolddogs said:
I believe your "Star" is actually a "Gallus" manufactured by Retolaza Hermanos of Eibar, Spain in the early 1920's or a "Renard" made by Echave y Arizmendi of Eibar.

Star .25 ACP (6.35mm) pistols generally had an open top slide and exposed hammers.

Is there any information stamped on the left side of the slide?

The safety should be relatively easy to make.

No matter the parentage, the price was right.
Possible so. All it says is "spa" and "model automatic pistol" the grip says "cal 6.35"

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm prolly gonna buy a box of .25s tomorrow, cause its something Walmart actually has :D
I also wanna get a box of .32 long, for my grandmother. My grandfather had an old Iver-Johnson .32 revolver, and now she has that and a Raven MP-25. I wanna get her some ammo for the better gun, and teach her how to shoot it.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
fev said:
Yes that be the 1, dad said he shot once back in the early 70's hasn't been fired since.
Dumb question, that would prolly be dangerous:
Can you fire all 4 barrels at once?

·
Premium Member
22,674 Posts
Enjoy your Star. It might not be a Beretta or Browning, but it's light years ahead of raven, bryco, jennings, etc.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gizord1 said:
I'm prolly gonna buy a box of .25s tomorrow, cause its something Walmart actually has :D
I also wanna get a box of .32 long, for my grandmother. My grandfather had an old Iver-Johnson .32 revolver, and now she has that and a Raven MP-25. I wanna get her some ammo for the better gun, and teach her how to shoot it.
Update:
Walmart didn't have .25 or .32 long.
All they had was .40, .17, 7mm, 30-06, .410, 20 gauge, and 12 gauge

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's definitely not a self-defense gun. It's good for plinking and maybe varmits at close range. I've heard someone talk about seein a guy get shot in the head with a .25, and the bullet didn't penetrate the skull, it just went under the skin to the back of his head. I also read that a hooker had the same thing happen with SEVEN bullets, and didn't even realize she had been shot until a week later!

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
It's definitely not a self-defense gun. It's good for plinking and maybe varmits at close range. I've heard someone talk about seein a guy get shot in the head with a .25, and the bullet didn't penetrate the skull, it just went under the skin to the back of his head. I also read that a hooker had the same thing happen with SEVEN bullets, and didn't even realize she had been shot until a week later!
The trick with a .25, used in SD, is to fire the entire magazine into the BG's shorts, then hit them in the head with the empty pistol and then run like hell! :eek::D:D:eek:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts