Got a new shotgun today

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by tenntyrant, May 12, 2012.

1. tenntyrant

tenntyrant New Member

I got me a mossberg 835 tactical turkey shotgun and would like to use it for Turkey hunting and home defense what would be the best shells to stock up on for home defense for this gun. And should I take the choke out when not hunting?

image-3070072013.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

For turkey I whole-heartedly endorse Federals with the Flite Control wad. I took birds out to 60 steps this season with #4 Federals.

I have a good friend that shoots the Hevi-Shot Magnum blend, but they are $30+ for a 5 pack. :eek:

For HD, stock up on 2.75 inch 00 buck. Although, I don't want to stand in front of a load of turkey shot at 10 yards or less.

I would use a improved cylinder or a skeet choke for HD. YMMV

Last edited: May 13, 2012

3. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

sweet boom stick bro. looks like a good purchase

4. akers06

akers06 New Member

I agree for lead shot nothing compares to the federals I've also killed turkeys at 60 steps with them

5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Remove the choke when not hunting.

For home defense, 000,00,0 #1 and #4 buckshot will all work quite well.

Police and military use 00.

6. tenntyrant

tenntyrant New Member

Thanks guys the gun came with a x-factor ported ulti full choke for turkey and I just ordered a x-factor ported improved cylinder to use for home defense and waterfowl .

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  7. akers06

akers06 New Member

Idk if u ment it like this but make sure there is some kind of choke in it before you shoot it bc you will ruin your threads if u shoot it without a choke in it

8. tenntyrant

tenntyrant New Member

Yep that's what I meant but I did some reading and found out that a improved cylinder choke would be good for home defense and not to shoot with your choke removed. Glad I found that out and glad you told me thanks. My first shotgun with a choke.

9. akers06

akers06 New Member

No problem buddy do u plan to do a lot of turkey hunting with it

10. tenntyrant

tenntyrant New Member

I am looking into it . I may do some turkey hunting if I get a chance but it will mainly be used for home defense that's why I ordered the improved cylinder choke to put on it.

11. akers06

akers06 New Member

Ok if u get into turkey hunting let me know I can give ya some pointers bout turkey guns