Got a new firearm!!! :)

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by PANDEMIC, Feb 21, 2019.

1. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

So now I have officially 3 firearms in my collection.

Lever-action rifle - .22 Long Rifle

AR15 - 5.56 NATO

Springfield XD40 Bitone - .40 S&W

So my brother just recently bought about an hour ago or so a handgun (our first) for about $300 off armslist. So I'm really liking it. I racked the slide a bit and held the grip of it in my hands and I gotta say its got a bit of weight to it and it feels pretty good holding it. I did some googling on this firearm to see if you can dryfire it. And people have said that you can from time to time or before dissembling the gun prior to cleaning/lubing. But they suggest to use snap caps if you want to practice with it. So I'm fixin' to buy some on eBay a little bit later (I have not dryfired it and told my brother as well to the same, just until we buy snap caps and then we can dry fire all you want) Gun came with no ammo so thats top priority and besides that I'm pretty excited to go out and shoot it with him. :D

However my brother did see that by locking the slide to the rear and looking through the ejection port that it is a bit dirty (the previous owner only put about 50 rounds through it, but it looks to be a bit dirtier than 50 rounds lol) so now I have to youtube how to take it apart, clean/lube it. Plan on shooting my AR a bit tomorrow so I may clean that as well since I'm cleaning the handgun anyways. Put about 60 rounds or so a few days ago on my AR and had to relube my BCG and cam pin since it was a bit dry when cycling it. o_O But after I shoot it some more, now that my BCG is already lubed I'll just be cleaning my bore, chamber and action. :cool:

Speaking of which, the slide on this handgun is a bit hard to pull back but racking the slide a few times its starting to feel easy to do it. I'm just really really excited to shoot it. But I'll clean/lube it tomorrow after watching some vids and hopefully its easy to rack the slide once I figure out what/where I need to clean/lube. :D From that point, time to shoot!

By the way my brother and I and some friends have been doing some intense hiking, backpacking and overnight camping lately (and plan on doing more) in remote areas where bears, mountain lions and the such are known to roam around. Can't really take the AR on public trails, so after we've talked about it for a while on needing to take some kind of handgun with us just in case, we finally got one! :)

We also both plan on getting CCL a little later since we do plan on buying at least 1 more handgun later down the line. :D

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    RoterDrache, bluez, Shopfox and 4 others like this.
  2. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

The XD-40 is an excellent handgun that is built like a brick outhouse. Dry fire it to you hearts content no snap cap needed. I usually do use snap caps for my dry fire practice sessions but not because I need them but because it gives me an extra safety step when I load that snap caps to assure I don’t have a live round chambered.

BTW dry firing guns is one of the best ways to learn trigger control. But do it right. Put a target up on a wall in a safe direction and you can have quite the range session without shooting a round. It helps you asses how well you hold your sight picture and you’re follow through. I keep a 1911 on my desk and I dryfire during boring conference calls every day.

3. PANDEMIC

Yeah I dry fire my AR almost all the time. I'm just recently new to handguns and unlike my AR and my .22 that I can clean/lube in my sleep. :D its fun learning how to use this new gun. Thanks for letting me know that no snap caps are needed for dryfire. :p

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

5. PANDEMIC

6. EclecticShooter

EclecticShooter Well-Known Member

Awesome. The XD should serve you both well.

PANDEMIC likes this.
  7. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Nice gun. Congrats!

PANDEMIC likes this.
  8. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

The LaserLight target system, coupled with their laser rounds make a very effective way to practice indoors, if you have a DA handgun.

I’ve got 4 of their random timed reaction targets, and their 40SW laser, which I use with my PX4. The targets light up, and you have three seconds to hit them.

Not inexpensive to get setup, but far less costly than an indoor range.

I can set out the four targets at various ranges in my basement, at ranges of 10 to thirty feet, and shoot to my hearts content, for the cost of one battery every once in a while.

PANDEMIC likes this.
  9. PANDEMIC

Okay well I just got done cleaning/lubing it. After watching some vids on how to dissamble and reassemble, it was a bit tricky. But after cleaning/lubing it I dissamble/reassmble again just to get the hang of it. :D

I did read the manual that c3shooter gave me. And it does say you can dryfire with or without snap caps. However it did say that extensive dryfiring can cause wear/stress on internal components. So they suggest to use snap caps if dry firing on a daily basis. But from time to time, its fine. I did dry fire it a few times for the first time and the trigger is pretty light weight, I like it. My AR standard trigger has a bit of weight to it but this handgun trigger is like you don't feel to much when pulling it. I also played some more with racking the slide now that its lubed a bit. And racking is still some getting used to for me, sometimes I have to get a really firm grip on the gun just to lock it to the rear. But now I'll probably shoot it hopefully later today if it doesnt rain since it has been for 2 days now on/off kind of rain. BTW, the gun in the manual has a safety, I'm guessing its a new model because mine doesnt look like it has one. All I have is the lever for dissambly, and slide release button and thats it. I saw the manual and there is a 3rd button that goes upward for "safety on" and downward for " "safety off". And its next to the slide release button, but mine for some reason doesnt have one. Hmmm........

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Dallas53 likes this.
  10. c3shooter

Different versions of the same model gun. Some agencies (think police) require a manual safety, so they make one version with a manual safety. The owner's book is intended to cover all of them- no biggy.

Wambli and PANDEMIC like this.
  11. PANDEMIC

Ahh, I see. That explains why I can't find it lol.

Dallas53 likes this.
  12. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have owned several of the Springfield XD series over the years in various versions. IMO, very well made pistols. I also really like the ergonomics of them as well. I have had great luck with them, and wouldn't hesitate in buying or carrying one. I also highly recommend them as being checked out if a person is considering a pistol for carry or SD purposes. They also make a great pistol for just range use as well.

Taken care of, it will last you for many, many years and lots of rounds. Enjoy your new pistol!

EclecticShooter and PANDEMIC like this.
  13. c3shooter

Side note- as far as manual safeties go- Glocks never had them. The 1911 got one after the Army insisted on one. Double action revolvers, like the S&W Mdl 10, Model 36, Mdl 15 etc has never had a manual safety. Keep yer booger hook off'n the bang switch, and yer good.

Wambli, PANDEMIC and Dallas53 like this.
  14. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

and the REASON to NOT dry fire a 22 or any other rimfire (without a snap cap) is the fact that the firing pin does not impinge on the center of the cartridge (like a center fire). It impinges on the side of (an empty) chamber and will raise a "burr".
    HTH

Wambli, PANDEMIC and Dallas53 like this.
  15. PANDEMIC

Thanks!

I'll try :D

Dallas53 likes this.
  16. PANDEMIC

Yeah that applies to .22's. On the manual for this handgun, it interpurts it in a way where dry fring with out snap caps from time to time is fine. But they suggest snap caps if your going to do it extensivley or on a daily basis to avoid wear/stress on internal parts

17. PANDEMIC

By the way Dallas I wanted to ask you a question. So I just cleaned/lubed my AR because I put 60 or so rounds a few days ago through it. And then I went to go shoot it a bit like 10 - 12 rounds mainly because I was bored. And it started sprinkling a bit of rain, very little. And some of it got on the gun, a little on the barrel, lower/upper, flashlight, laser and a bit on my scope. I just wiped it all down with a dry rag and thats it. I don't have to get anal about it and take it apart and clean it again do I?

And I've got a quad rail on my AR, and I already took off all the attatchments to take off the rail just to wipe the outside of the barrel and used a light oiled rag on it as well. But this was about a week or 2 ago that I did this. Please tell me I don't have to that again if a few itty bitty sprinkles of water got on there. I just let it air dry and I don't see them anymore. Taking the rail on/off is really painfull and takes me like an hour to take off and then another hour sometimes 2 to put back on.

What do you think? Is wipping it down with a dry rag good? And whatever sprinkles of water got on the barrel undernieth the quad rail, just let it air dry? Sometimes I would use cotton swabs, but doing it all the time gets annoying and its very time consuming.

Heres a pic of my AR setup to make more sense. I just wanna enjoy having, shooting and cleaning my guns but not get super anal cleaning them left and right all because it drizzled a bit. Know what I mean?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Dallas53 likes this.
  18. Dallas53

You did fine. if really anal about it, wipe the barrel or any steel parts with an oily rag.

Really air drying as long as it didn't get soaking wet should be just fine.

If you saw what my two AR's are subjected to would make you cringe!

They get hosed down, and torn down about once a month, then cleaned and lubed, to go back in the gun rack on the golf cart. they get rained on, dusty, and muddy all the time!

PANDEMIC likes this.
  19. PANDEMIC

Thanks! :p and man! Sounds like you use your tools to the full extent! I like that, I need to stop worring and take the gun outside more. Except when its heavy raining, that'll be a nightmare to clean/lube when the gun is soaked.

Naw mine wasnt soaked, just a few sprinkles or dropplets of water a little here and there. Last summer I went hog hunting before at like 2am and then around 5 or 6 am their was a light drizzle of rain. And some of it got all over on the gun, (I was in a tree stand). When I went back to the house I just took out my magazine, unchambered the round that was in there. Cycled the gun a few more times making sure it was empty. Then just wiped it down real quick with a dry rag and went back to sleep. :cool::D

Dallas53 likes this.
  20. Dallas53

I carry one with me on the golf cart in case I run across coyotes on the farm. (We have cattle and pretty soon will have new calves too.)

I figure if the rifle can handle combat conditions, it will serve my needs just fine! Plus, it keeps my from carrying a much nicer firearm for the same purpose.

It is subjected to rain, mud, and dust where it rides in the gun rack.

PANDEMIC likes this.