Got a Mauser, want to hunt with it, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by sharpshooter5647, Dec 15, 2011.

1. sharpshooter5647

sharpshooter5647 New Member

I have a m43 Spanish Mauser in 8x57mm
    I've put a scope on it, but I'd like to make it into a accurate hunting rifle
    I'm open to any ideas: new sporter stock, triggers, barrels, bedding
    Really any ideas that have worked for you, let me know

2. Jkl-28

Jkl-28 New Member

All you really need to do is put a sporter stock and a good scope on it! Mausers are usually accurate enough that u don't need to do much to them.

3. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Ether S&K or weaver had a bolt on scope base for a scout scope for most mausers but beyound that money is going to run wild. Talk to a good smithy about what you want and see how it goes for priceing. Besure you don't get a community college educated one OR look at thesehttp://www.montanarifleco.com/custom.rifles.html

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  4. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

I own a 98k Mauser and I would feel comfortable hunting with it as is. I plan on installing a after market trigger in the future but that is about it. If I spotted a deer between 100 and 200 yards I have no doubt I could nail it. A lot of these surplus rifles are very accurate.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

Shoot a bear with it, maybe a couple of times. If he waves goodbye as he dies, get it on youtube ASAP; i hear people like waving bears.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

depends on what kind of accuracy you expect from it. if it's in decent working order and you take the time to find an accurate load for it, it should be fine for hunting. how original is the rifle? i mean if it's in really good shape and matching numbers, might be better to leave it be and hunt with just as it is, rather than modifying it. mausers, are one of the most modified rifles and has some of the largest aftermarket support of any rifle platform out there. so the question comes down to how much money you want to spend.

7. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Most military mausers have a double stage trigger. If you can get used to it, accuracy should be ok, however, you might want to consider a moder single stage trigger replacement.
    cottontop

8. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Since it is already scoped, try a stock from Boyds. You may be suprised at the accuracy. If it is a cheap scope, well that may be the issue.

9. triggernomic

triggernomic New Member

Not sure how it compares to my yugo m98 mauser, but if it's anything like it, a composite stock would be awesome. The stock on my m98 paired with the weight of the receiver and barrel made it heavy as hell. That metal butt plate put bruises on my shoulder plenty of times. I used antique ammo and it was a real pain to clean. If you can get some modern smokeless ammo do it.

10. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Surplus ammo is fine to use. A little boiling water down the barrel and on the bolt face and clean as any other rifle. Most of the time a bruised shoulder is a sign your not holding the rifle correctly. A synthetic stock would be fine, but the lighter you make the rifle, the more felt recoil you have. BTW, 8x57 Surplus is modern smokeless ammo. The Primer compound is what becomes corrosive in surplus ammo, it becomes salt basicly.

11. triggernomic

triggernomic New Member

I just fitted the cleaning rod to a low speed drill and poured some hoppes bore cleaner down the barrel. The normal way reminded me of cleaning a chimney. I could scrub and scrub and there were still little black specs in the bore. After I rigged it to the drill it was nice and shiny.

As for the bruises, the rifle was almost as tall as I was. It was my first bolt action rifle. Louder and harder-kicking than my .357 magnum. Loved it to death. Some guy down the road from me thought it was special and bought it from me for $100 over what I paid for it. Now I wish I had not sold it, because it's hard to find them unissued now.

12. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I may be interested in paying for part of your new stock. PM me with pics of stock that is on it. I'm looking for a decent spanish stock.

13. mookiie2005

mookiie2005 New Member

People weak highly of Timmy triggers, I do not have one for my mauser though. You can also look at Boyd's custom sticks for good sporter mauser options. Also I have mojo peep sights on my Mauser and on another I have a b square long eye relief scope mount that requires no gun smithing ether of the are good sighting options depending on what style you refer. Hoe ths helps.