Got a Free computer. keep or sell?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by spittinfire, Jul 17, 2009.

1. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Alright, I got laid of in January and since found employment but my previous employer gave me a credit card worth $1000 to buy office supplies to help me find a new job. It expires next month so I used it to buy a new HP laptop, wireless router, anti virus, printer cartriges, etc. everything cost me $4.13.

My wife has a mac and doesn't want the new one. I have one that is 3 or so years old but works fine for everything I need. This computer is a good one, sells for $800 but it was on sale for $700. I dont really need it and I thought about selling it. I'm sure I could get $600 for it, I haven't even opened it yet.

I could pay a few bills involved with moving and maybe convince my wife to let me get that Marlin I've been eyeing or a bow so I can double the lenth of deer season. I would say 1911 but I know if I sell it I will only get a small portion of it to spend. Comments? Thoughts?

2. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Put it on Craigslist for that $600-650 spitty, that would be your best bet, especially when these kids and adults start going back to school. Still has a warranty?

3. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I have a new hp laptop like you described, dv6000. Awesome laptop!!

If you don't need/want it, then sell it and get something you can use. :)

4. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Sell for $604.13. Buy ammo.

5. spittinfire

1 year factory warranty. I'm just afraid I'll sell it and then mine will die, that would just be awesome.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

spit, I hate to pee in your soup but a three year old laptop is well past it's life (tech) cycle. You will soon find it hard to find driver support for new soft/hardware.

Might just look at selling the older computer while it still has some resale value.

Or just ignore me. [​IMG]

7. spittinfire

Actually cane, that thought had entered my head earlier this afternoon. I wonder what it would bw worht...

8. Yunus

Yunus New Member

If you can tell us the Brand, Chip, Ram, HD size and its relative condition we can give you a good idea of the value. But 3 years old my guess would $50-200 range.

9. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

I would say 200 minimum, probly more like 250-275 if you hold out for the right buyer, then spend put it toward that bow, I got my first deer with a bow last season and even though it was just a little 5 point, I felt like I just got the new state record! A truly different expirence than rifle hunting.

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

sorry spit........cane

11. WDB

WDB New Member

Keeping the new one makes pretty good sense but if you could use the money in other parts of life have you looked into just returning it to the store for a refund? If you can that way you will get full value.