Got $800 what two handguns should I get?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by spenc, Feb 19, 2012.

1. spenc

spenc New Member

Sold some stuff of mine and got the ok from the wife to spend the money on myself. So what should I get? I want two guns one would def be for ccw and the other could be for anything( hd, fun, ccw). What should I get?

2. NvRbanArms

NvRbanArms New Member

Get the Springfield armory range officer. That would entitle u only getting one gun though.

3. spenc

spenc New Member

Yea I want to try and get two for $800

4. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Man there is a lot more that needs to be explained here. What calibers, semi-auto or revolver, HD or EDC?

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

You can probably get a springfield mil spec like mine, and maybe a used shotgun. That would probably make ammo an extra out of pocket expense though.

A GLOCK and a shotty would probably fit the bill.

You could look at mil surps too.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

Oops, you specifically said hand guns. Oh well. Keep a shotgun in mind anyway, it's a good versatile gun to be thinking about.

7. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Springfield XD 9mm 4" barrel $469.00
    Ruger 22/45 5 1/2"Bull Barrel Wood Grips $329.00

........you got $2 left for a Coke and some fries.

8. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

For $800 you could get each of the Hi-Point pistols, plus a carbine.
    I got the Hi-Point .380 CF, 9mm C9, .40 JCP, .45 JHP, and the 4595TS, all for under $800.
    I love shooting them all.

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

And probably have a bunch left over for ammo.

10. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Ruger LC9 runs $340 for a good summer CCW and a RIA 1911 runs $420 cause everyone should have a 1911 and you still have some cash left over.

11. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I second the 1911 route, you can pick up a Springfield for around $500.

That leaves a little to play with, I'm partial to the Ruger Mk IIs myself. They can be found reasonably, but are no longer in production as far as I know.

MK IIIs are very similar but won't fire without the mag in it. Might not bother some, but I don't care for it.

12. nccinstaller

nccinstaller New Member

I would suggest something like a glock 9mm or ruger sr9c for carry and fun range time. The second firearm should def be a 22 such a ruger mark series or browning buckmark super cheap to practice with and great fun

13. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

As everyone pointed out, when using $800 to purchase 2 handguns, neither will be the best quality.

I would buy 1 of good quality and use it for all. Any leftover cash could be used for ammo to become proficient with it.

And as you stated that you have a limit of $800, then trying to find cash for ammo may be a little tight, also.
    (and without ammo, your new firearms are no more than paperweights)

14. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Best option: Buy a $400-700 gun, extra mags, and a supply of ammo. Can that get you any gun you want? No, but it can land a solid version of any caliber and style that interests you (polymer, revolver, 1911, etc).

But if you're determined to land two...

A decent 22lr and a versatile centerfire. You could make it work for almost any style of gun.

Or a budget friendly carry gun (Kel-Tec PF9, Ruger SR9, Kahr CW) to go along with a larger framed HD/range gun (CZ 75, Glock, XD, Ruger GP100, budget 1911, etc).

Buying used might serve you well if you want 2 quality pistols for $800.

15. AZL

AZL New Member

Buy ONE Glock...and a whole bunch of practice ammo. Just sayin'....

16. okdonk

okdonk New Member

+1. Glock is one hell of a gun! ;)

17. spenc

spenc New Member

So I think I've got it down to a glock 19 and either a small j frame type revolver or something bigger like a gp 100. What's you guys thoughts on this? And thanks for the input so far gentlemen.

18. orangello

orangello New Member

I own a GP100 and an old snubby .38 special revolver about the same size as the J frames. I hope i never, ever shoot that snubby again; it is very uncomfortable unless you have small, very muscular hands with no nerve endings. The GP100 is my FAVORITE range gun, because it is very comfortable to shoot over and over and over, even with the .357mag ammo. I usually use the softer-shooting .38 special bulk packs for high volume plinking.

I picked up my GP100 for right at $400 at a local shop. As for the concealed carry piece, have you considered the very affordable Bersa Thunder .380 in the beautiful flat nickel finish ($300~). The .380 ammo isn't as inexpensive as some of the other popular calibers, but you probably wouldn't be doing the high volume plinking you could with the GP100.

I would keep in mind that there are a lot of good used firearms out there, especially with the economy in the dumps & some people having to pawn/sell some pieces that they don't shoot as often.

19. NvRbanArms

NvRbanArms New Member

How bout an xdm for 500.00

20. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Like members before me I will state the obvious. You're within a pretty tight budget, but its do-able. Glock 19 for ccw is a smart pick. Uses or new? Used $4-450 New $5-550 (depending on Gen 3/Gen 4) that's not gonna leave you with a lot left over...I'd invest the rest in a .22 semi-auto. Or just realize you should just get the Glock or 1911 and spend the $ on mags, ammo etc etc....