Good Turkey Load

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by MossbergMaverick, Mar 25, 2013.

1. MossbergMaverick

MossbergMaverick New Member

Ok so I just bought a new Mossberg Maverick 12 gauge and Im not too sure what turkey load I should get. I'm not a big turkey hunter but I am trying to go a descent amount this year. If anyone has any good suggestions I would like to hear them. I have a full and a modified choke. It hold 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells

2. akers06

akers06 New Member

Buy the federal mag shok 3" 2oz #4 shot they are the best lead Turkey load on the market they will run you around $15 a box but they are well worth it...use those with your full choke and you will be able to kill a Turkey out to at least 40 yards also look into getting you a after market Turkey choke for your gun to extend your range even more

3. MossbergMaverick

MossbergMaverick New Member

Alright man thanks I will be sure to look into getting me some

4. akers06

akers06 New Member

No problem buddy

5. jeepboy4life

jeepboy4life New Member

Undertaker extra full turkey choke with remington mangum #5 shot. but thats what works outta my gun, buy yourself a nice choke and a few different kinda shells and see what patterns the best, every gun is different

6. natman

natman Member

7. natman

natman Member

I've had excellent results with my Mossberg 500, the factory Xfull choke and Winchester 2oz 3" #4s.

http://www.winchester.com/Products/shotshell-ammunition/Advanced/Double-X/Pages/X123MXCT4.aspx

27 one shot kills in a row.

Here's a quote from a study by the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation:

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/hunting/turkey_loads.htm

These loads are not just "adequate" or "acceptable" out to 40 yards, they are downright deadly. If you want to shoot farther than that, it's time to pony up for heavier than lead loads.

8. Devin556

Devin556 New Member

I also use the Winchester 3" no.4 shot. I'm using a stoeger 2000 with a extra full choke that has a muzzle brake made on the end of it.