Good Starter Rifles

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by zack0923, Jan 22, 2012.

1. zack0923

zack0923 New Member

I am a fairly new gun owner so what are some good types of rifles to start with? I currently have a 9mm Springfield XDM 3.8 which I really enjoy shooting but I am interested in purchasing a rifle now. I have shot a few rifles before but I would just like some different opinions. Thanks for the posts.

2. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

A bit more information would help with the recommendations. What type of rifle are you thinking of...AR, AK, Mil-Surp, plinker, target, hunting, semi-auto, bolt action, etc? Do you have a specific caliber in mind? There are hundreds of rifle choices available, a bit more specificity will get you better opinions and not a long list of "name that rifle" type responses.

3. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

If its your first I recommend a bolt action in 308 so it fair in price to shoot plus easy on recoil but for the brand go to your gun shop and hold some different type tell u find the right one

4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Hang on there big daddy before you go throwin out suggestions find out what the OP is wantin

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

5. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Lol just throwing it out there

6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I know but im just tryin to give you some good advice on how to do things on here;)

7. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Lol alright

8. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Delete your pm tyler.

9. mark1616

mark1616 New Member

If you are new to firearm ownership, some of things you might consider when rifle shopping will be things like intended use, frequency of use, and cost. You have a variety of actions from single shot to bolt action to auto-loading, a variety of calibers from .22 to 30-06, a variety of weights and lengths and sights, etc etc.

If I were fairly new to rifles, I think I would begin with an auto-loading .22 such as a Ruger 10/22. Both the rifle and ammo are inexpensive and you can get a lot of range time in.

I hope that helps!

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i am with JPyle, a little more info on intended use and what his needs or wants are would be helpful in making suggestions on types and calibers. saying i want to buy a rifle is like saying i want to buy a vehicle. there are so many different choices and types to consider when making a decision in what to buy.

11. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'd start with a 22LR. Easy to feed, fun,

and while you're at the range, you may

see something which catches your fancy.

12. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

IMO, the best starter rifle is a 22. You can do a lot of shooting for little money, and build some skill. You can shoot 22 LR for under $20 for 500 rounds, whereas 30-06 will run you $18-$25 or more for just 20 rounds. Meanwhile, at the range, you can see what other folks are shooting and start zeroing in on your next gun (yeah, there'll probably be more in your future once you get the bug).

There are a lot of 22's out there. First, do you want bolt action or semi-auto or maybe even a lever action? Are you interested in iron sights or a scope?

IMO, a good first rifle is a slow rifle, one that will allow you to work on technique. A bolt action 22 like a CZ 452 with iron sights is a great way to go. Is the bolt action too slow? If you decide to go with a semi-auto instead, the Ruger 10-22 is hugely popular for a good reason. Want to go somewhere in between the slow bolt action and fast semi-auto? Consider a lever action like the Browning 22 lever action with iron sights.

13. Ima-Savage

Ima-Savage New Member

Marlin 60 .22 cal. costs half of what the Ruger10/22 does...

...and Many/most Marlin fans will gladly shoot a stock mdl. 60 up against a stock 10/22 for half the $$. ( ;) that ought to start a debate!lol)
    Marlin 60 can be found used in excellent shape for $90-$120, or buy a new one for $130! If you want a center-fire Rifle, The options are as vast as your money.
    even AFTER you buy a center-fire rifle, you can use the .22 rifles for learning technique and accuracy.
    Some rifles offer "Switch-barrel" ability which enables you to use different caliber barrels on the same gun frame/stock. This option is starting to prove itself well.
    as stated above: try shouldering as many styles as you can and something will stick just right for you. The suggestion of getting a .308 cal. rifle is appealing to many shooter as a great caliber. I have Milsurp and factory rifles and all of them shoot as intended. You are the best judge of what will work for you. There is no such thing as a Magic Gun for All needs. some come close! Good luck!