Good show, Bad show? Thats up to you?

Discussion in 'Gun Shows' started by RONSERESURPLUS, Apr 12, 2014.

1. RONSERESURPLUS

RONSERESURPLUS New Member

Hey all

RON L here,

Not been on the group as much but I thought I'd toss my .02 cents about gun shows, seems like so many haters out there? I know the Jerkey selling, Toys and Digital toys for sales get old But thats all on you? I mean Bring good stuff, to sell, trade or Buy and shows will improve, toss out the non gun sellers who Violate the charter of the shows promoters and Improve the show, Buyers, don;t expect 1960's Prices today and sellers, don;t ask more than Retail and Be fair to the Buyers, in short do to others as you;d want to be done? It's all on us gun shows can continue to suck or we can make them better, or simply sit and gripe about it? our choice? I've made mine, what say you all?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Ron- I will agree with you- to an extent.

If I am looking for a brand spanking new gun, I will probably go to several of my Local Gun Shops- maybe do some bargaining/horse trading/ arm wrestling.

I look to shows for the things I will only SOMETIMES find in an LGS. At one time, we had a lot of "weekend" dealers that would make the shows. Much of their stock was 40-50 years old. Mossberg 22's. High Standard pistols. S&W Hand Ejectors. Oddball cartridges for the collector (seen any .35 S&W Auto lately?)

The last 10 shows I have been to, I own more Mossberg 22s than were in all 10 shows combined. A lot of Glocks, new .40 cal autos, AKs and ARs- but no Colt Woodsman pistols. Collector's ammo? Meh. And death from above t shirts, beef jerky and costume jewelry- and the annoying guy selling stun guns.

Perhaps I need to start looking at a wider venue of shows, start looking for something different- but where I once bought at shows- I now buy on line.

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

In this area a show is OK if you go with a bunch of friends. I get most of my stuff online. If you go by yourself it takes about an hour to see all the overpriced stuff, get bored and leave.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have to agree with C3. when i do get the opportunity to hit a gun show, i too am looking for older or more obscure firearms or gun related items. not the new stuff i can get at my LGS or have them order for me. i am looking for things i might not normally see anywhere else.

over the past several years, i have been severely disappointed in the gun shows i attended and they weren't worth the price of admission. mostly new guns that i can see at my LGS, and old stuff priced way too high.

i do much better hitting the used gun and consignment rack at my LGS than i do at the gun shows now.

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

IMO, the shows are going to suck for a while,

then get better. The reason things are the way

they are now is people are buying all the schlock.

In a while vendors will have to compete better,

then things will improve.

6. deg

deg Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I only go to one show and that is the Wanenmachers Gun Show here in Tulsa. The main or only reason I go to it is because – every man should experience it at least once in their lives. However, even there they have the jerky, toy, t-shirt, and … vendors; but the beauty of it is there are so dad-gummed many gun vendors that outnumber these others that it don’t make a darn. Moreover, if you get a hankering for some jerky, or your kid is getting restless, or your girlfriend is getting bored – you can buy a little extra time at an event that should take you all weekend.

7. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

And most (all?) ban carrying firearms

Sorry, no go for me

8. deg

deg Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

You are correct. The only thing I can figure out of that is, there are so many guns being pointed at something/someone, at those events they don’t want a “whoops” moment. Look, while at the Wanenmachers show I would venture to say there is a bead on about any person at any given time. I will ask Mr. Wanenmacher next time I visit with him and see who says and why that is enforced. I can assure you it is not because he is anti-carry.

9. Axxe55

if i had to guess, and this is purely a guess and not backed up by any facts, but i would have to guess it is probably due to liability insurance reasons for the safety of the attendees.

10. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

And yet there's no security in the parking lots.

11. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

You just can't see the police in the parking lot because they are plain clothes. I have had more than one undercover try to get me to purchase a gun or help a fellow down on his luck. Believe it or not, the ALE manages to arrest a couple idiots at every show.

12. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

A future topic for the Podcast to be sure. Sometimes a Gun show is just what you want, and sometimes it's a nightmare. I went to many nightmare shows back east,..in upstate NY and PA,...now here in Az. I have been to a few local shows, and have not had a dud yet. I still need to get down to PHX for a show....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

13. samnev

samnev New Member

I am also a native from LI 20 years removed to AZ and agree except for the Allentown show most others were duds. The only exception was the Ohio Gun Collector Shows that I attended 3X a year despite the 620 1 way trip. It was well with the trip. The Phoenix Cross Roads show use to be decent until 7 or 8 years ago. Then the shows began to get overwhelmed with swap meet items and the quality of items went down as the prices for them went up. THe last show I attended there was the SAR show in 2007 and that was mostly for parts. I haven't gone to a show in a few years. :(

14. Axxe55

one of the best gun shows i use to attend many years ago was held in the Astro Hall at the AstroDome in Houston Texas in February. it was on a Saturday and Sunday and it was so large ti took every bit of a day to just get around it. several times my friend and i would attend and we never saw everthing they had displayed. there was just too much there. and it seemed they had anything and everything gun related.

15. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

The large regional shows are good but the local show are nothing more than rummage sales.
    Has anyone noticed this trend in local gun shows? There is always the same guys there with the same guns they have had for the last four or five shows. The only thing that has changed is the stack of .22lr that they are way over charging for, that sits on the same corner of the table as the seller is sitting. And he is watching them like a hawk & won't let you touch them without cash in your hand.

16. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Schlock. The last time I heard that I was at a flea market in NY....

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

17. Mimamigun

Mimamigun New Member

Gun show is uniq movement.

18. RONSERESURPLUS

RONSERESURPLUS New Member

Hello all

Thank all of you for responding to my post,. I feel the thread has gone a tad astry when I say that shows good or bad its On US? We Tolerate the Non Gun items, as Promoters we allow that to happen, as the Public we buy this crap and further perpetuate the issue? We Buy ammo from Gougers and Fools and then Complain when we think of what we paid or did in trade? We have the power to fix it and weather we do or not is UP TO US? I am a seller at shows and I am just as Guilituy as the next fellow, But I am making a difference and our local shows have seen some improvement! Yours, well thats On YOU????

Ron

19. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

I don't tolerate what has happened with gun shows. I voice my opinion by not attending and falling prey to what they have become in the past 2-3 years. I have discovered that I can find much better deals and many unique and rare firearms and estate sales and auctions. Pay to park, pay to get in, pay to look at sunglasses, t shirts, and the same old ar15, desert eagle, etc. I'll return if and when it suits me.

20. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

I am not a fan of the local shows. It is definitely a sellers market. I have had god luck recently with the classifieds in a couple local forums I check out.