Good scopes and red dots?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by magnum05, Feb 4, 2012.

1. magnum05

magnum05 New Member

I have a budget of $500 or so for optics. Now i like to shoot long distance and i will be using my Ar for hunting and play. im struggling on what to decide to go with.. scope or red with a magnifier? And what are some good quality makers out there?

2. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

You won't get a quality RDS and magnifier for $500. You're best bet would be to go w/ a magnified optic.

3. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

What do mean by long distance? 1 mile? 1000 yards?

4. magnum05

magnum05 New Member

100yrds + and i guess i should been more specific.. I meant a red that already is magnified

5. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

RRA for a scope mount,50 dollars. Look around at SWFA for scopes . nikon has some 2.5-10 and up and mueller can do the same to to your 500 dollars. depends more on how far your shooting. Find what you want and someone here will know where it cheapest.

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Nikon M223 point Blank 1-4x20 $260, Burris MTAC 1-4X24 illuminated $350, Bushnell Trophy XLT 1-4X24 illuminated $230, Leatherwood 1-4X24 illuminated $330 with offset mount.
    The 1st 3 will require an offset mount and all are within your $500 with mount. All prices include shipping. All will operate with the illumination turned off. The Nikon is not illuminated and has 1" tube. The rest are 30mm.

7. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

8. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

it is a little dated, but it has invaluable info on what to look for, and as time goes on, most prices drop and newer updated models come out. So I think its still relevant.

9. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

A couple guys I trust have the 1-4 Leatherwood and like it a lot.

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Any quality 1.5-6X42 will serve you well. They're usually more compact than a 2-7 or 3-9, and out to 300 yards, you'll never need more than 6X.

And with a 42mm objective bell, you'l always maintain a 7mm exit pupil.

One of the makers, (Burris I believe) also offers a red lighted crosshair.

11. magnum05

magnum05 New Member

thanks alot guys ill start checking these all out. i just need something that reaches out more i was shooting my dads savage bolt action .223 and we were tear up spoons @ 100yards and yes spoons that you eat with lol and to that to me was a good challenge and a blast. My red dot just dont reach out that far and its a p.o.s, it came with my ar so it was free basically

12. locutus

Try a quality red dot like an Aimpoint, and you might change your mind.

If you have a friend with an Aimpoint, ask to shoot his rifle.

13. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The 1X setting is for up close and personal. Easy to use with both eyes open. The 4X will get you out to 300 yards. A long time ago the standard scope was a 4X.

14. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

You won't be able to see a spoon at 100 yards w/ a typical RDS's 4/2 MOA reticle.

15. locutus

You should always keep both eyes open! Otherwise, you severely limit your field of veiw.

If you have trouble shooting with both eyes open, you might hjve a "cross dominance" problem.

Try shooting from the other shoulder.:)

16. magnum05

magnum05 New Member

i always keep both open..my plan was to find a nice scope for long range and get a laser for close up.. i appreciate all your inputs helps alot

17. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Are you going to buy a shark for that laser?

18. magnum05

magnum05 New Member

@ mjkeat..actually yeah a great white.. I found a aimpoint red dot comes w/a ex doubler for $429 but think I'm going to det the 3x mag for $129 that has a a slide to side mount

19. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

There is little doubt about your question. You will not be able to get for example a model 512 EOTech and a Magnifier for $500.00. If you are going to be shooting at distance and for precision a Scope is the answer. But also remember the 5.56/223 round is by far not the best choice for shooting long distance. Yes they will shoot at 600 yards as they do at Camp Perry every year! But the main factor is the effect of the wind on the bullet. That comment comes from experience. I agree with one of the previous posts. Get a Rock River or similar scope mount for your AR that moves the scope forward allowing proper eye relieve! Otherwise you will have a problem with a good scope. Then look at a Nikon Scope. For the money they have good glass and are top quality for under your $500.00 budget.

20. magnum05

magnum05 New Member

@Sniper..by a good mount you mean offset? And i did check out the Nikon m223 model as someone suggested and i may go with that but im just tryn to find something more compact "little shorter" Anybody hear of NcStar? They any good?