Good scope for under $100

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by tnel74, Jan 24, 2013.

1. tnel74

tnel74 New Member

I am looking for a scope that will allow me to varmint hunt at 75 to 125 yard. I have a limited budget and want to still get high magnification.

2. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

the only ones I am familiar with in that price range are Tasco, Bushnell, and Simmons, obviously there are many more out there that I cannot attest to, all scopes in this price range we have had have been 3x9 40mm deer rifle scopes. Currently I have a Tasco World Class on a 243, that is a decent scope for what it is. What are you going to do with it rimfire or centerfire rifle? Check out this link they have alot of them under 100: http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=3&itemsperpage=12&newcategorydimensionid=11493&pageNumber=17

3. dsheppard

dsheppard New Member

I had a tasco on my old .7mm mag and it held up to everything I put it through rain sleet snow shine hot and extreme cold and it always shot true. I would not hesitate to ever put a tasco on another rifle.

4. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Man oh man every one wants high mag an cheap price, but that dosent happen. High mag an cheap glass sucks PERIOD. IF U WANT HIGH MAG AN A CLEAR VIEW SPEND SOME MONEY.

5. lfcshooter

lfcshooter New Member

Have a look at redfield. quality value Scopes. you need to pay a little extra if your going for higher magnification. If your not spending much dont just go with the one with the highest mag it will only expose the lack of build quality.

6. cottontop

cottontop Guest

If you don't mind buying a used scope, the on line auction sites will sometimes have some real bargains. I have found some very high quality scopes in almost new condition for great prices. But, it can be a crap shoot as I have also gotten stuck with a piece of junk a time or two. Even then, most sellers will still work with you.
    CT

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

8. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Any old Western guide will tell you. Spend $2,000 on your Binocs for you will use them 8 Hrs a day. Spend a $100 bucks on the on the scope you will only use once.:D
    Western wisdom before the discourse starts.;) I picked up a Simmons WT 6.5X20X50 for a CZ 527 .22 Hornet. This gentle little rifle is low recoil and will not be horse packed. The WT is great for shooting paper and Prairie Dogs. Check MidwayUSA it is a good buy. Good Luck.

9. tnel74

tnel74 New Member

It would be used on a rimfire rifle

10. lfcshooter

lfcshooter New Member

Bushnell do a rimfire scope for about $150 . I used to have one on a cz 352 a few years back -really good quality.

11. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I have never bought a rimfire scope, I prefer to use regular rifle scopes even on my rimfires, I think a $80 rifle scope is gonna last longer than a 80$ rimfire scope, just my .02

12. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

You can get a good fixed power scope for under $100. I can shoot a cigarette butt with a 4x fixed power scope at 100 yards. What are you hunting? Mosquitoes? Have a look at a Simmons 8 point 4x fixed power scope.

You have to spend around $500 on a variable power scope that will match the Simmons fixed power scope in clarity, field of view, eye relief and durability.

13. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I don't know about that, I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 3x9 40mm which cost me $176 new, it is the most clear, best light gathering scope I have had on a deer rifle. There's plenty of good scopes under 500 bucks. Next I am going to look at one of the high magnification Redfield Revenge series for a varmint rifle.

14. lfcshooter

lfcshooter New Member

I have the 44mm 6 to 18 ao redfield highly recommended it

15. tnel74

tnel74 New Member

I'll probably get a 3x9 40mm. Midway USA looks like they have some good deals going on

16. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Yep there's some low prices on there just make sure you do some research on the particular scopes you are interested in, mainly look online for customer reviews. Some of the really cheap ones may not have good clarity when zoomed in to 9x, the higher the power the less likely a value scope is to be clear.

17. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The rim fire scopes have different parallax settings than a center fire scope. I like the shotgun scopes which are set between. A good way to go is a scope with an adjustable objective lens or side focus but you dont see many high magnification shotgun scopes.
    These actually do work on 22lr. There is one for 17HMR also. The 1st one is a close out and a bargain.
    http://swfa.com/BSA-3-9x40-Sweet-22-Riflescope-P42505.aspx
    http://swfa.com/BSA-6-18x40-Sweet-22-Riflescope-P13056.aspx

18. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

OP, You are shooting a .17HMR, Correct? Take a look at the Bushnell Trophy series. I have an older model w/ the amberglow reticule, no additional light needed. 4-16x40mmAO on a Marlin 917v. It is very good. Here is the new model. It is over the $100.00 mark, but will really make your rifle shine . Completely new, new company. My son has a 3-9x40mm on a 6.5x55. Just get a multi X reticule, forget BDC.
    http://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnel...e-with-doa-600-or-multi-x-reticle-734120.html

19. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Scopes made for .22 rim fire are usually Paralax free to 25 or 50 yards. The centerfire scopes are Paralax free to infinity. The Objective lens in scopes of the 10X Power class will have Paralax adjustments to focus thru this wide range of distances.
    The reason many low end scopes for .22 rimfires will appear to be out of focus is due to lack of Paralax correction as power increases. If you plan to shoot target beyond 50 yards buy a centerfire scope with Paralax correction.
    The Simmons 6.5X20X50 has an ajustable objective Paralax correction. The one I use is very good for the price. I would only use these on low recoil firearms.:)

20. robertb6112

robertb6112 New Member

When I bought my marlin 795 I bought a cheap $18 tasco. And I think I wasted $18. I'm looking at getting a BSA scope for it now. I have a cheap bushnell on my savage mark II and it's pretty good for what it is.