Good Scope for AR15

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Vikingdad, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I recently finished my AR build and would like to scope it. I have a Leupold Mark IV tactical scope, but as you can imagine that leaves something to be desired at 100 yards. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I know good glass is expensive. I'm looking for a good deal and will consider blemished or used.

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I just have standard hunting scopes, they work well enough for me.

My favorite brands are:

1 Leupold
    2 Burris
    3 Redfield
    4 Vortex

3. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I've got several in the collection but I wold need to take them off of another rifle to put it on the AR. Trying to avoid that. I would prefer Redfield or Leupold, Midway has a blemished sale right now but none of those listed are Mil-dot which is what I think I would prefer. Thanks for the input though.

4. Fumbles

Fumbles New Member

I bought a Simmons Whitetail Classic from Midway a while back and with the discount and a $20 rebate it came to like $90 or so. It's Mil-Dot. While it is a hell of a lot of glass for an AR at 6.5-20 X 50, I still like it a whole lot and have a ton of fun with it. My older eyes like it also...only in my late 50's but still. It seems to be holding zero exceptionally well and I mount it with a Burris P.E.P.R.

You can also look at Vortex. Great company. I have a Vortex SPARC red dot and I damaged it at the range.......they replaced it free of charge as their warranty covers stuff you do, as well as failures on their part. Good stuff, you cannot beat that.

5. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

The Mark IV Leupold I have is a red dot and that is part of the problem, the dot obscures the target at 100 yards. I mean I can shoot OK with it but I want better than OK.

6. buffalolake

buffalolake New Member

I have a Nikon P223 (+-$200). It is a 3-9 X 40 with a reticle that is calibrated for the 5.56 round with markings for 100-600 yards.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Try SWFA. They have a section for used and display scopes. Go to their website and click on the tab called the sample list. They usually have a Mark AR or two in there for around $300 with Mil-Dot reticle.

8. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Natchez has some refurbished tactical scopes in their new catalog I got yesterday. I think they were $100 off the normal price

9. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

I wonder if an AK 47 might require a scope, and if so, what kind for a Romanian 1967 GP WASR 10/63? :confused:

10. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Thanks for the tip. Lots to choose from there! I will probably find something if I sift through it all.

I have the tactical end covered, I need more of a longer range scope now.

Hey, don't be hijacking my thread! FWIW though it would have to have a WIDE field of view!

11. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

hey vikingdad you didnt mention if you had set any sort of cash cap. for my recomendation i'll throw these out there.

nikon prostaff 3x9x40.
    have one on my wifes AR and its great. super clear glass holds zero. easy to adjust. comes in pretty affordable at around $160
    i would also say the already mentioned nikon p223. i almost bought one myself but didnt need it at that time.
    burris would be another affordable but really good optic. you should be able to find them for under $300 depending on magnifacation and other goodies. IMHO you cant go wrong with any of these.

if you decide you need to spend the cash go for a leupold. but the nikons, and burris are to me a much better quality vs cost choice.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-ProStaf...5562397&sr=8-2&keywords=nikon+prostaff+3-9x40

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-P-223-3...F8&qid=1345562437&sr=1-6&keywords=nikon++p223

http://www.amazon.com/BURRIS-FFII-3...&qid=1345562477&sr=1-9&keywords=burris+3x9x40

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  12. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

they had long range scopes also not just tactical stuff , take a look

13. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Give me an idea for a scope. Which would you get for an AK?

14. billt

billt New Member

Don't rule out any of the excellent Bushnell Elite Tactical Series. They provide good clarity and brightness for the money. I have them on several rifles, and they are without question one of the most underrated scopes out there.

15. fetep

fetep New Member

Look around the boards, I recently picked up a trijicon in a larue mount fairly cheaply. It is perfect and saved me several hundred bucks. At the same time I bought it there were two or three trijicon 3-9's in larues for sale also.

Good luck and happy shooting

Fetep

16. CamoToe1

CamoToe1 Member

I have the Simmons White tail classic. It's a great value buy, but I probably wouldn't go that route again. It's heavy and the eye relief has a really small sweet spot. The burris pepr mount is solid and returns to zero well.

If I did it again I would opt for a Redfield. Something in the 4-12x40 range. My buddy has one. Excellent eye relief, lighter in weight, and brings in light well. For another $100 over the wtc its well worth it($220.00-250).

We use ours to hunt coyote. What do you plan on doing with your scoped Ar?

17. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I have a Redfield on my Savage Model 12 and like it. I was considering getting one of their Revenge scopes and putting that on the Model 12. Might still do it if I can find some reports on the Revenge.

I'll be target shooting and maybe some varmint shooting if I get the chance.

18. LandMonster

LandMonster New Member

Personally, I am leaning toward a 3 gun set up. It makes a lot of sense for a lot of situations. I would consider a 1-6 variable scope and an offset pair of BUIS.

19. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Trijicon makes good regular scopes as well as the ACOG line. Even with a lighted reticle.

20. RolltideAR

RolltideAR New Member

Mine is goin to be used for primarily popping yotes, pigs and whatever I choose to put in my crosshairs on. It's the cheapest scope I have ever bought. A bushnell 4-16x40 BDC with lighted reticle. I'm Impressed.