Good scope for a .22lr for shooting 200yds or less?

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by beastmode986, Mar 1, 2014.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

I have a Remington 597 im looking to get a scope for, I plan on shooting 300 yards max(rarely, and yes I think im kind of "pushing" a .22) but mainly for 50-200yds. I dont want to spend more than 100$ and preferably with the non dime turn knobs. (what are they called?) What can you guys recommend? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Beast,..look for a sale on a Nikon P-22, or one of the less Expensive TruGlo's. Yeah 300 is a bit much for 22LR. I have gotten good groups in the black at 75 & 100 with my Mossberg with a Borrowed 4X15 Rimfire optic. My next trip to the indoor Range-GS I'm gonna have them Mount the TruGlo Electro prismatic 2X42(MSRP $199, reg Nachez price $129, on sale $99) on it, then the DuraCoat finish and the Bi-pod,.. I have hit rocks I aimed at out to 150...but that was with Remington Yellow Jackets and Anguila Super Maximums...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

3. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

You mean for spinner targets? Most scopes will hold zero on a 22. I'd go to a sporting goods store, with a larger selection and an easy return policy. Choose a scope with a thinner reticle and easy to turn knobs, 2-7x or 3-9x. Bushnell is a good brand, to name just one.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

200 is pushing it quite a bit for a 22LR round. at 100 yards most 22's are dropping about 6-8" and at 200, i would expect about 12-18" of drop possibily. any cross wind is going to play havoc on your shots as well at that distance. part of the problem is that a 22 makes a very small hole and at 200 yards, it's going to be extremely hard to even see the bullet strikes. so a scope able to to afford you the opportunity of being remotely able to see such bullet strikes at that distance is probably going to cost a bit more than $100.

rule of thumb, you can't hit what you can't see. personally i think you are expecting a bit much at that distance on that budget. it may be possible, but IMO, not going to be easy in doing or finding. just my thoughts.

5. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

Just my nickel minus 3... outside, calm day, good bench and rest, good gun, good optics, good ammo and if YOU are a good shot, anything less then a 3 inch group at 100 yards is darn good shooting with a .22lr. Unless you are shooting a competition gun with competition ammo a 4 power Bushnell .22 scope will be capable of exceeding your expectations for less then $50. Use the money you save for ammo.

6. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

I know the bullet drops and wind will have an effect on it but correction is part of the fun. The range rents spotting scopes for 2$ so ill have someone(my dad or a friend) look to see if I hit the target. The 200yd shots are only for testing my luck Im mostly going to shoot at the 100yd targets anyway. They are steel but I can put out paper too.

7. mboylan

mboylan New Member

Parallax is your big issue with a 22. Most scopes are set to 100 yards. The crosshairs shift on the target too much at 50 yards and under. An adjustable objective will help you out.

Unfortunately, if you want to shoot at longer distances with a 22, you will have to spend decent money on good glass. You need to see what the wind is doing.

The Mueller APV is a good scope for the money. Going cheap on a scope is never a good idea. You are better off with upgraded irons over a cheap scope.

8. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Spotting @100 is no problem. Also, consider high velocity ammo such as CCI Stinger and Velocitor. Something tells me you'll want a 223 or at least a 22 Mag soon enough, but that wasn't your question :)

9. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

OP, did you actually mean 300 YARDS, or 300 FEET?

10. Vincine

Vincine New Member

600 Yard .22 LR shooting. I think his 'groups' are on the large side myself. 4:00 video:

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bMun6pVDBzs[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  11. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I've gone to yard sales and army salvation type stores and buy frying pans for a quarter and then set them up at varying long distances by pushing the handle into the dirt. hey stay in place and make a distinct 'pang' sound when hit :)

12. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Ohhh, that's a good idea. Way cheaper that AR500, if you're far enough away.

13. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Well, I got a barska 3-9x32 that im getting some new rings for. 35$ I figured save the money and put it towards an optic for the ar15. Im shooting at 100yd targets and plinking so I don't need to much better right now. I got it at big 5 so if it sucks ill take it back.

14. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

Chuckle, hope what you are shooting at 300 yds is quite large. As to 200 yds, well, I loaned a 24 max power inexpensive scope to a gent I shoot with on a regular basis who wanted to try his accurate 22 LR bolt rifle at 200 yds. He wanted to try something higher power than the 3-9X on his rifle. When I handed him the scope, told him that I doubted there was enough elevation adjustment for 200 yd shooting with a 22LR. I was correct.

Anyway, for a decent scope that is a 6-18x40 with side focus (parallax adjustment), I suggest you consider a discontinued model Simmons Pro Hunter that www.natchezss.com has to sell for $70. As mentioned its a decent scope and optics are pretty decent too. Own four of these higher power discontinued Simmons Pro Hunter models (different higher powers and kind of turret) with most of them on centerfire rifles. Not had a problem with any of them.

Downside of this scope. When Simmons was bought by Bushnell, all of the higher power Pro Hunter models were discontinued. Lets pretend this scope breaks and cannot be repaired....there is no scope under Simmon name close to it to send to you as a replacement.