Good realible bolt action 22lr

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by SmithKid308, Aug 28, 2011.

1. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

I want a rugged 22lr I know your gonna go "get an ak In 7.62x39" well I'm not an ak man I'm a bolt action and I want it in 22lr because if SHTF I want something that won't destroy the small game and it's is very rugged so any suggestions ?

2. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

A .22lr rifle is a great weapon to have in SHTF. I am still a little new to this stuff and I have a Buckmark pistol, but no .22 rifle yet. Why would someone suggest you get an AK when you are looking to be able to take a rabbit? You should have multiple firearms to fulfill different tasks.

In bolt-action I would get a Savage Mark II and then find a good scope that's nicer than a Simmons.

Since I have my Buck Mark pistol, I might be looking for a Buck Mark rifle. The parts and magazines would be interchangeable. But that Savage looks really nice.

3. Jay

Jay New Member

The older Mossbergs are very dependable, and quite accurate.

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I always like the old Marlin 781's :)
    The new Savage is hard to beat these days tho -
    The CZ is great but a bit more of a investment-

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Ref: Older Mossbergs- no yuck phooey horrible (send them all to me, I'll dispose of them for you :rolleyes:)

.22 rifle rarely wear out. Absent a bulged barrel from firing with an obstructed bore, it is not uncommon to be able to find a NICE 40-50 yr old rifle- for fairly small $$$$.

In new guns, I am partial to Marlin, but Savage is also making a very good rifle. Older Remingtons are also worth a look.

Matter of fact, used guns are cheap enuff to get a few different ones to play with.

6. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

I also favor the Marlin .22 rifles - maybe why I have nine of them. Only seven Mossbergs, and three older Stevens .22 rifles.
    All are good shooters.
    The new Savage gets rave reviews - I just haven't quite talked myself into another .22 rifle just yet! :D
    The halcyon days of the 'cheap twentytwo rifle' seem about over - prices are getting up there. I see ANY .22 rilfe, no matter how grungy, starting at $150 and up at the local pawnshops. But private sales from range buddies or yard sales are good for cheaper prices. Sometimes a father or mother wants to get rid of Junior's old .22, now that he's away at college. Scout around - the deals are out there! And as said, it's realy hard to 'wear out' a twentytwo rifle. Most are just dirty.

7. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

If I wanted a new, rugged, bolt action, .22LR rifle...I would invest in a CZ452 with a mannlicher stock. Exceptional accuracy, beautifully machined bolt and sights, nice Turkish walnut, etc. The only (-) is the cost of magazines, but Wilson Combat or Tripp magazines for your 1911 aren't cheap either.

Like this:

[​IMG]

8. Davo45

Davo45 New Member

I've got an old Mossberg bolt action .22 that'll work with S, L & LR that I wouldn't take $1,000 for (only paid $50 for it, but it can't be replaced), a Ruger 10/22 (with a Choate full length pistol grip stock, extended magazine release and Millett red dot sight mounted on a picatinny rail/scout rail) that I would take $750 for (so I could replace it with a new one and have some $ left for ammo) and last, but by no means least, a new Savage bolt action I got for my son that I'd sell you for $300 (where I could buy 2 more and have some $ left for ammo :D). I have a Marlin .22 WMR bolt action I've had no complaints with and have no doubt that a .22 LR from them would be just as good. The CZ bolt actions have always impressed me as well although they're a little pricey for my budget.

The Henry lever action rifles would be a good consideration too.

9. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

.22's a type as opposed to brand

the .22 bolt rifle is hard to beat, i'd suggest a type more than a brand, some guys love the tube fed and some the box mag, Im personally leaning twards the tube fed type, had a Marlin 81 I'd put together from parts that was awesome, same with a box mag fed Stevens Springfield, if you find a .22 Lr in the configuration you like get it, if not experiment around and trade off what you wont shoot.
    The Marlin Boltaction is one the classic's
    Savage and Mossburg also mfg some nice boltactions today.

Pictured is some the .22's, what you see is waht the kids packed because ther fun, note the two Jimney Cricket manual cocking single shots, the one my son is holding is a Sears (marlin 110), they passed up bringing the Ruger 10/22, marlin scoped 781, the Remington 522 viper, Remington 552 speedmaster.
    The stainless carbine is a tack driving Taurus 72 .22mag.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  10. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

You can find good used Marlin bolt-actions almost anywhere...and VERY inexpensively.
    Heck, even the new ones ain't that bad...the XT-22 line has all the bells & whistles you could ask for...inexpensively :)

The great thing about the box-mag versions, is that you can exchange mags between the semi-auto & bolts :D
    So if you've got a 70-P/795/etc...the more mags the merrier :D

I have yet to see a CZ that my Marlins can't run with. Part of that is due to the Micro-groove barrels...
    the other part is due to the care I give 'em...I take extra time & effort to bed or pillar-bed & do a trigger job on each one.
    The upside is...I usually have less than $150 in ANY of my Marlins , including scope & Bipod :D
    (except the ones wearing Boyd's Stocks...which usually double the amount I have in one due to being around $80-100 per stock)

11. warhawk77

warhawk77 New Member

I like the marlin also. I fired a buddy bolt action last week at the range and I fell in love I got to get one.

From what I have seen bolt actions are as close to 100% reliable as you can get. Just comes down to how accurate and marlin can holds its own very well.

12. TXblue

TXblue New Member

Bolt action 22

I love my Marlins, but for the bolt action 22LR, I'll have to suggest the CZ 452American. Great shooter and you can't get any better quality.

13. ruger700

ruger700 New Member

Browning A Bolt

This rifle will shoot better than I can. I can use any ammo and get 0.5 inch groups at 50 yards.

14. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

My pick !!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

• AR-7.jpg
      AR-7.jpg
      File size:
      73.8 KB
      Views:
  15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

marlin or savage bolt action. inexpensive, accurate, rugged and simple. in a SHTF situation, for the purpose you want one for, perfect.

16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

For a real shtf small game rifle it would be hard to beat the new Savage bolt with a threaded barrel for a suppressor.
    MK II FVSR, MK II TR, MK II TRR SR

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  17. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

The OP was asking about BOLT 22 guns-
    Not FLOAT 22 guns

18. Daekar

Daekar New Member

I'm another kool-aid drinking CZ follower. I have a 452 Ultra Lux that is fantastic for iron-sight shooting, and I would definitely recommend it if you want irons. If iron sights aren't your thing, there is the 452 American, which doesn't have irons at all and is specifically designed for a scope. In the middle is the regular 452 Lux, which lacks the 28.5" barrel of the Ultra Lux, but has iron sights in addition to its scope mount. If you're thinking SHTF, there are two schools of thought I would follow: get the regular Lux, mount a scope, and use the irons if the scope ever breaks, or get the Ultra Lux and learn to use the irons really well - possibly put a tech-sights aperture on there. Even with the stock sights on the Ultra Lux, it's easy to hit shotgun shells at 25 yards with good consistency. I hate shooting paper, so I don't have group sizes to show off...

19. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the CZ's are very nice guns, but are kinda of pricey! in other words, not cheap. but they are nice looking too. never shot one, but looked at a couple at the gun store, very nice, well made gun.

20. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I have a 1942 Remington 512 that my Dad gave to me when I was 10 y.o. as my first gun. It's awesomely accurate even at 69 y.o. If you can find one of them in a pawn shop or Garage Sale, they go for $150-$200 if they are in really good shape.

My old eyes needed some help, so I mounted a modern scope on it a couple of years ago and have been very happy with the way it shoots with the scope. I can easily get nickle sized groups at 50 yards with Fed. 550 Bulk Box ammo.

These guns are all steel and very rugged. :cool:

Attached Files: