Good quality hunting rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by MossbergMaverick, Dec 10, 2013.

1. MossbergMaverick

MossbergMaverick New Member

So Im turning 18 and I am starting to look at a new rifle that I could buy for myself instead of using my fathers. I want something that will last a while and stay accurate. I don't want to spend much over $500 but quality isn't cheap. Any ideas would be great!

2. gabeshaffer

gabeshaffer New Member

An M1 carbine would Be a good Pick. A kar98k is also a nice One.

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

You can find a rifle for $500 but you have to add ammo and a scope to the $500 before you can go shooting. What is wrong with your dads rifle? I can't buy a better rifle than a proven free rifle.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

depends on whether that is $500 for just a rifle or a rifle and scope. lot of good options for just a rifle for $500, but if it's for a rifle and scope, your options are going to be a bit more limited for NIB. but you could always shop the gun stores and pawn shops for a good deal on a used rifle, and it might even have a scope already on it.

5. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Savage !..............

6. Ishooter

Ishooter New Member

You can pick up a Savage package with a scope for a little over $400. It is accurate and you can up grade any thing you don't like about it as you get the money.

7. E7018Dan

E7018Dan New Member

Savage axis combo deals are worth the money especially with that tight of a budget. My one suggestion to you is stay far away from the Remington 770, the 700 is a fine rifle though, and I've heard good things about their newer model that's replaced the 770, name slips my mind. And look at used, a lot of rifles out there to be had at good prices.

8. magnumman

magnumman New Member

Look at the Ruger American. Lots of features for a budget gun.

9. TLuker

TLuker New Member

I would suggest you look for an older used Remington M700, Ruger M77, or Winchester M70. Any of these can be found at decent prices used and will last you from now on. :)

10. stratrider

stratrider New Member

It really is a good quality, accurate budget gun. I'll be taking mine deer hunting tomorrow. :D

Attached Files:

11. Ishooter

Ishooter New Member

I just went back and read your post. You are not going to get quality for $500. No way no how. Not used, not new. You can get a very accurate durable rife. Quality is around $2000 and up. Sorry to burst your bubble. That is just the way things are.

12. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

What do you want to do with the rifle? What kind of hunting? What kind of rifle does your dad have that you are currently using?

A levergun for woods hunting deer is in that budget easily. A good bolt action may set you back a bit more, and then good optics will add on. You should still be able to come in way under $2000 for a rifle that will hunt and hold up for years. However it would be nice to know what kind of performance you are wanting out of the rifle in order to give you really solid advice.

13. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

I like this suggestion. Check your local pawn shops. You'll be surprised what you'll find.

14. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

You do realize he's looking for a hunting rifle right?

15. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

http://www.armslist.com/posts/22488...-sale-trade--pre-64-30-06-winchester-model-70

You have no clue what your talking about bub. If you dont think a pre 64 Mdl 70 in 30-06 is a quality rifle you need your head examined.

16. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

17. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

I'd go with either a Ruger American or Marlin X. Both shoot well and you'd have some money left for a scope.

Have seen a few of my fellow range members with a Mossberg ATR and have chatted with them about the rifle. Yet to hear a negative comment about it. Guess the best comment was from a gent who spent several Sundays with his son's 7mm08 Mossberg ATR working up a hunting load for it. After he was satisfied with the right reload, he commented to me he might get one of them for himself. Quite a statement since his last three rifle purchases were from Remington's Custom Shop.

18. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Recoil sucks on the atr. In 30.06 but otherwise good gun

19. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

30-06 recoil in a Ruger American is a might bit heavy too. Perhaps the young guy asking for suggestions should think maybe a 308 cartridge rifle.

20. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

this has to be about the dumbest response I have seen in a long time. You are either a complete fool who has a lot of money to burn (they say a fool and his money are soon parted), or, you work for a custom rifle manufacturer. Clearly, you don't know a damn thing about what makes a hunting rifle 'quality'. :mad:

Attached Files: