Good quality bore brush

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by Pjj342, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Pjj342

Pjj342 New Member

I was wondering which bore brush is a good pick. I know some like the bronze, and some like the nylon, and some like stainless steel. That aside, Is there a company that blows the rest away with a well built brush? Like what brand does the us military use?

I just get sick of buying the junk ones every couple months. I would spend some more money on one that lasts.

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

The military gets their stuff from the lowest bidder.

I've used bore snakes, and I really like them, however I don't currently use one. I think my current bore brush may be made by hoppes, but I didn't save the packaging.

What are you cleaning?

3. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I use a 26" cleaning rod by Pro-Shot,it works really good. I also have a hoppes #9 bore snake that ive never used

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  4. Pjj342

Pjj342 New Member

I have the boresnake too. It works very well, but I like to run a brush and patch thru before I run the snake. I just feel like It does a little better.

Im usually cleaning a saiga ak. I only shoot russian ammo, and it gets very dirty, very quickly. Im not worried so much about getting it 'nothing on the patch' clean, it is an ak afterall. I just want a brush that will last, do a good job, and be as effective as possible,,, before I run my boresnake.

Im looking at brownells double tough brusheshttp://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1244/sku=084-144-300/Product/Fits-30-Rifle-pak-3 they 'look' pretty good

5. Pjj342

Pjj342 New Member

Also, if theres a solvent that anyone thinks is best for crappy ammo residue, Id love to hear it. I still use hoppes9, Ive tried a few(mpro7, breakfree clp, strikehold) and none have done any better in the cleaning dept.

6. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I do know of something that would work very well for you, without using a brush. I started using a foaming bore cleaner called Wipe Out. I tried this product after doing a lot of research in the internet. This stuff works better than any product I have ever tried. I carefully swap the barrels of my guns first to get out the loose fouling. I then insert a cotton swab in the chamber and fill the barrel with the foaming bore cleaner from the muzzle end. I use the cotton swab in the chamber to prevent the solvent from running out and getting into the action. I leave the foam solution in the barrel for about three hours, but for heavily fouled barrels it can be left in overnight. This stuff will not damage the metal. I finish by running a few patches down the barrel to remove the solution. I was surprised by how much fouling was removed by this stuff, after I had already swabbed the barrel with the copper solution I usually use. You don't even need to coat the inside of the barrel with oil afterwards because this stuff has anti-corrosive agents in it.

You mentioned Hoppe's 9 solvent. Hoppe's 9 is great for removing carbon fouling on metal surfaces but it is just not strong enough to remove lead or copper very well. Hoppe's 9 is also a great metal preservative. I have been wiping down my guns with this stuff for a long time and the bluing on all of my guns still looks new, even my 40 year-old Win 94.

7. Pjj342

Pjj342 New Member

good info turf, Ill look into that

8. DougB

DougB New Member

Try this........

Ed's Red' Bore Cleaner

Home made, cheap and really works good on crud.

9. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Swerts 7.62 or butchs bore shine both are great

10. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Its sweets 7.62 not swerts sorry

11. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

+1 on that. I have tried both Sweets 7.62 and Butch's Bore Shine and they both work very well. A good way to see if you got all of the copper fouling out of the barrel is to look down the barrel with bore light from the muzzle end. It works even better in a darkened room. If there is copper fouling in the barrel you will see orange streaks, almost like the color of rust.

12. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Very true the tall tale streaks I like butches over the sweets only becouse of the lac of horrid stink, but both will serve u very well. Dont forget the bore guide a good quality 1 pc cleaning rod an bronze brushes

13. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

I use kleen bore brushes also, they are good quality bronze brushes

14. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

Yep, I think using a bore guide and a good one-piece rod is important. A bore guide even makes the process easier. I bet a lot of people were surprised and maybe even overwhelmed a little the first time they smelled the Sweets 7.62 solvent. The vapor from that stuff hit me like a big hard rock.